Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby kettukakku » Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 am

kettukakku

Subject title: Kettu's Den

Hey y'all! I just signed up and figured I'd post some of my garbage. Last year I decided to try to take art more seriously, not that I expect I'll make a career out of it, but more in a sense of it being my main hobby and something that I can pour a piece of myself into. I'm unsure what that even means, but maybe I'll understand eventually. As far as a set goal, it's hard to say. I've been sketching up a bunch of character designs and writing up outlines with the intention of possibly making that into some sort of a webcomic. My hesitation is, as always, that I don't feel my art or writing is good enough to focus on something 'finished'. With that said, I know if I wait around to be 'good enough' (which will be never because I think I'm garbage) then I'll release nothing and regret doing nothing. Weighing the two things together, I suppose I'd rather create trash than create nothing so here I am.

I do not have a scanner at the moment, but I do have some saved images from my sketchbook/folder that I can share for now. When I'm in the vicinity of a scanner, I'll be posting some of my other sketches as well. I, regrettably, don't date or keep my book/folder in any order so I'm mostly guessing which of these images are newer or older, but I reckon they can't have been drawn any earlier than 2015 or later than well, today. I'll try to post these in the order I assume they were done, though, so let's have at it:

Spoiler: show
Oh wowee! I'm noticing now that I really should have resized my scans. I dun goofed, but at least it makes me unable to hide my sketch linework so there's that.
First up! Helmets! I have another sketch page entirely of hats that I'm assuming was drawn around the same time.
I'll have to scan that one eventually too, but I did notice that I snuck in some lude images in with the hats (probably why I never scanned it) but oh well.Image
Anatomy is one of my weaker points. I think (hope?) I've made improvements as time has gone on, but circa late 2015/2016,
times were rough. I can't say I've made much improvement in terms of drawing armor though. My most recent sketch I'm working (I'll be posting it down here somewhere) is an attempt at practicing clothing so maybe I can try to redesign this armor in the future. Image
A theme you may notice is that I like to draw people. Though, for the longest time, I'd draw them from the front in a straight mud-shot-esque pose. My excuse was that I was only 'designing' their look and that the pose didn't matter, but I feel like the lack of expression and pose only makes them look devoid of any personality.
Often I draw dumb silly things... ignore this.
Another theme to notice is that I'm always drawing fine females. What can I say? Uh, actually one thing I can say is that while my female anatomy has improved some, my male anatomy has stayed fairly poor. I need to draw more men. I need to draw more men. I'm saying this until it sticks because otherwise, left to my own devices, I default to drawing girls.
Just to give some context as to why there are many images of a man and woman standing beside each other: I was sketching out the designs for the different races in the dumb thing I'm writing.
Continuing on from my last point, you can see here that I wrote down some 'features' that I was intending each of the races to have. Some of these things may or may not be accurate at this point since I've changed designs/ideas around, but since the purpose of this post is to see my art progress I won't really go off about all of that.
Ahh! Frog people! I don't know what y'all know about frog people, but let me put you on to something here. There's some poor anatomy on these sketches, but I'm pretty satisfied with the design concept of my frogs at least. The frog life is the true life.
ImageImage
Nothing much of note here other than to say I really need to work on drawing objects such as boats. I know I should try to simplify them into shapes and go from there.
I have practiced facial expressions somewhat, but it's really something I'd like to revisit. I know there's that 'draw a character with 20 different expressions' meme floating around since I did one a year back, but I should really reattempt it to get more facial practice.
Damn girl, you fine. Lemme get yo' numbah. But no seriously, I really like how this girl's body shape turned out despite her twisted spine. Also, drilling shapes into my head. Unfortunately, not in the literal sense.
I'm not sure how y'all feel about cartooning, but I had some fun with it.
This was a 'study' of facial features and my attempt at finding ways to make variations of them that felt coherent, but also different enough to read as a different character.
More aimless doodles
Another dump of characters and practicing shapes
This is the newest of my 'old' artwork. I'm assuming this was done around May 2016 since I recall being back in Sweden when I sketched it. I think there were some improvements compared to the 2015 stuff, but there were still a lot of glaring issues. (handshandshandshands)

As of the end of last year and this year, I've been doing much more of my sketches digitally so I'm going to dump those down under this spoiler. I think in my switch to digital I actually went backwards before going forward again. My Intuos3 tried to play me hard, but we're cool now. My initial linework on my tablet was abysmal, but I think I'm finally getting somewhere as of late. I wouldn't say it's good by any means, but not horrible either. I'm sure one could argue otherwise, though. Anyway:

The first images I did digitally were really just me sketching on top of the drawings that I had scanned. The linework was so painfully bad that I ended up relying on the direct-draw line tool (I think it's called the pen tool in PS, but I'm unsure). I shamefully still have these posted to my DeviantArt, but I do want to keep up some older pieces for my own progress-tracking purposes.
ImageImageImage
Backgrounds have become the bane of my existence. But despite being so bad at them, I actually have no excuse for crudely cutting a fucking photo into my image. WoOoOoOw this is embarrassing. I'm at a loss for words.
Now, I thought I was so cultured by trying to paint 'traditionally' over my sketches. It didn't pan out and thus more throw-away files were created.
For a brief (and I mean very brief) period of time, I was set on thinking that I'd focus my efforts of traditional art. I learned two things: a) I'm bad. b) I'm too much of a weeb to draw realistically. That said, it would be worth my time to return to these landscape sketches to solve my background issue.
ImageImageImage
After a while, I did manage to get to a point with my tablet that I could sketch without scanned sketches as a guide. The anatomy is still weak and new errors and problems seemed to occur (There was a short while where I made the eyes too small and my forms had become much flatter than they were previously).
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
I still did sketches in my books/folder and attempted coloring with colored pencils and watercolors. I don't have the watercolor sketches scanned to post, but here are some of the colored pencil ones.
ImageImage
There was a portion of time where I was hating my art and it was an uphill battle to even continue to work on a sketch without deleting it within an hour. I thought of doing 'studies' (I don't think that's the right word, but I'm unsure what it would be called) of other artist's pieces that I enjoyed. I tried to emulate their styles while also maintaining my own since, well, I didn't think blatantly copying their art would either be helpful to me or polite to them. I was very hesitant to post these since they are based on other people's artwork. Credit goes to Derek Hess, 0demon_panda0, and 2seodie for creating the original images these are based on.
ImageImageImage
Aaaand these last pieces are where I'm at currently!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

But yes. Uh, what was I even talking about? I started typing this earlier in the day and then I went hunting for old art and I have no clue what I was even going on about earlier. If I didn't already say this before: Hello! I'm Kettu! I've been on a binge of enjoying southern US vernacular despite never living in the southern US... so please excuse all my 'y'all's and 'i reckon's. It's may more amusing to me in my head to read everything I type in an American accent, but I know to everyone else it's just odd. I apologize. It's my new obsession and I'm trying to keep it under control. But yeah. Hi everyone!

*edit: oh yikes! I realized I never actually posted what I did today/yesterday like I said I was going to.
ImageImage

Postby jobenjo » Fri May 05, 2017 8:44 am

jobenjo

OOoooh welcome to zhe forums! this is a good start, I'm interested in seeing where this sketchbook is going O.O
I really like ur color choice btw :D
(and dont worry about the yalls an reckons, I'm not over it either lol)
Hope you're having fun drawing, or whatever it is ya do!
My Sketchbook is here: viewtopic.php?t=79758

Postby Koźlik » Fri May 05, 2017 10:16 am

Koźlik

Looks like you have a lot of passion in what you're doing! :D
There is big improvement in your anatomy from your first to last sketches ^^
Hope to see more of your new stuff!
I like to draw girls. If you like girls too, you should check my Sketchbook ^^
There's stuff on my Twitter and Instagram too.
I do streams sometimes, mostly weekends on my Picarto channel.

Postby kettukakku » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 am

kettukakku

Thank you! Both of your artwork is so beyond my level that I feel honored to even get a response ꒰˘̩̩̩⌣˘̩̩̩๑꒱♡

---

So, I was feeling super frisky today and thought I could totally tackle a 1-minute gesture/anatomy challenge. I was mistaken. I think tomorrow's focus will be a more intensive study of anatomy because I'm realizing that knowledge is nowhere ingrained enough to where I can understand the human form and the ways it can move. But yes, I'm stalling because I'm actually embarrassed to show my piss-poor attempt, but I made it my goal to post every day what I draw so here goes:

Bleh. I'm falling asleep.

Postby NesoKaiyoH » Sat May 06, 2017 2:14 am

NesoKaiyoH

Hey there, welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your time here xD

nice stuff, good to see so much. And yeah, you've improved a lot in the past couple years xD
The latest gestures and stuff are good too, keep up the art man!
20 - F - Student - Future concept artist and manga illustrator!

My Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?t=11533
My deviantART: http://nesokaiyoh.deviantart.com
My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/digitalartistrachelwalpole
My ArtStation: http://www.artstation.com/artist/nesokaiyoh

Postby kettukakku » Sun May 07, 2017 4:12 am

kettukakku

Thank you so much! I'm still completely blown away by your sketchbook :o The way everything flows is so hrforäöfSÖfosåfsfäcsdfjåsdsöä; words. I can't even describe.

---

I attempted an anatomy study today. I tried to be really mindful of the form and shapes that make up the body as well as the measurements between them. I then attempted another session of 1-minute gestures. I think they turned out better than yesterday, but they're still not very good ^_^'
I also got into a sketchy mood today and decided to do a random face and eyes sketch. I'm not sure if those really taught anything, but I was amused I guess...
And lastly, I very briefly began sketching some expressions. I may end up redoing them tomorrow since I rushed them and the facial anatomy is off. I'll have to redo them while measuring out the face and features. But yes! Here's more garbage to wade through:
ImageImageImage

Postby kettukakku » Mon May 08, 2017 7:38 am

kettukakku

I made the mistake of drinking coffee today. One one hand, whenever I drink coffee I'm SO motivated and excited and just want to googogogo yesyesyesy. But I also get incredibly anxious and shakey and confused and forget to eat and how to exist and who I am and ahhh. But fuck it! Art! Woo! I've felt incredibly depressed and defeated the past few days so this is at least an improvement in my state of mind... even if I'm paranoid that my house is currently burning down and I haven't realized yet.

Anyway. I had been focusing on facial anatomy and structure today. I made a 'face design sketch diagram' whatever it's called of one of my characters both for my own reference and in hopes to study anatomy. I posted a critique (well, asking for a critique. I don't know that word either) of this face whatever and yeah. I forget what I was saying already. The second thing I drew, imma be real, was really just for my own amusement. I did attempt to study some anatomy and I did use a reference photo, but again, imma be real, I stylized it so some of it is probably wonky. Feel free to tell me what's wrong! But only if you want; I'm not trying to waste your time ^_^'
Oh right, but I never explained what it was. Elfquest fanart. The cheekbone life is the real life. I'm never going to be able to sleep today.

ImageImage

Postby kettukakku » Wed May 10, 2017 2:33 am

kettukakku

AHH. So. I managed to sleep I think, but I ended up getting super distracted today. In my defense and for my excuse, let me put you onto something good. If you haven't watched the anime Initial D, I HIGHLY recommend it. I had no idea I loved Eurobeat until this point in my life and it's taking control of my life. I found a ten hour loop of the tracks from Initial D and I've been spinning them all day. These are hot beats, y'all. I had difficulty drawing straight lines because I couldn't stop dancing. But while my solo dance party has interrupted more serious practice, I DID have the inspiration for a fan art piece. I also started on the rough line art for my Elfquest drawing. But before checking those out, let me link you to what has consumed my soul: link link
ImageImage

Return to Sketchbook