Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Rhynn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Rhynn

Subject title: Crits please :)

*takes a deep breath*

This is my first time making a digital painting which I'm actually proud of! So, I want you guys to tear it apart with critique. I want to learn what I've done wrong and how I can fix those things, so my next attempt at digital painting can be better ^_^

The below image is a little under 1000 pixels on each side; click for the full, 4000 pixel version ;)

(by the way, I'm totally okay with this being used for a video crit - I'd be honoured xD)

Last edited by Rhynn on Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:16 pm

Ambiguity

Pretty cool, I like the crazy perspective.

As for critique, there's only a few things that really stick out to me. Iron Man is usually very shiny, where as his paint job here looks pretty matte with the lack of sharp speculars and shadows. I suppose that doesn't really matter, just a personal preference.

Another thing is his hands are about the same size, but I think the bottom hand is supposed to be farther away right? That means the upper hand should be a bit bigger, especially with how thick that forearm is.

Also, lights are always brightest in the center, and the light gets dimmer as it radiates out; as you have it, the light is a solid value throughout.

Lastly, his back seems to be pointing 1 way while his chest seems to be pointing in another direction, those should be faceing the same way.

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Zjacklee

Indeed about the chest pointing into a different direction then the back is something I didn't notice until ambiguity mentioned it.

I think the hand in the front is getting smaller because it's supposedly going down and "far"? (But i am no expert at all in perspective, that's one of my biggest weaknesses. So I shouldn't question that much. haha)
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Ambiguity

Zjacklee wrote:I think the hand in the front is getting smaller because it's supposedly going down and "far"?

Yes, but the upper hand shouldn't be as small as that one since it's not as far away.

Postby virtueone » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:48 pm

virtueone

I think the use of sharper edges or more contrast on the specular and reflected light might help achieve that "shiny look" better.

http://goninmovieblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/iron_man_still05.jpg
That's the reference I found... it looks like you changed the image instead of just copying it, that's cool, and I LOVE the effect on the ground.
If you were going for a more realistic look, the colors are too saturated, otherwise its fine I think. There's probably not much esle I can say. Nice job. :D

Postby Zjacklee » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:55 pm

Zjacklee

Ambiguity wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:I think the hand in the front is getting smaller because it's supposedly going down and "far"?

Yes, but the upper hand shouldn't be as small as that one since it's not as far away.

Oh yea, I see what you mean. True to that.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Rhynn » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Rhynn

How did I not notice the chest pointing in a different direction O_O Now that I see it, it's so painfully obvious xD

Thanks a lot for the crits so far! I definitely have to practice metal, heh. I chose to have a slightly less shiny look for him here, but I admit that partly comes from pure laziness :oops:

Ambiguity, I think I see what you mean with the light. I'll have to stare at it and try some stuff before I'll (hopefully) really see it completely, though ^_^

With the hands I was trying to amplify the perspective, but it seems that failed xD I did have a lot of trouble with them though - I've got to practice my hand anatomy big time. I'm a bit afraid of practicing hand anatomy, but being on this forum is really giving me the practice-itch; seeing so many awesome artists drives me to practice to become one of the awesome ones as well :D

So, my to-do list after your crits:
-Practice metal
-Investigate the light thingy
-Anatomy practice
-Anatomy practice
-Anatomy practice
-And some more anatomy practice, haha ;)

Postby Jeffrey » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Jeffrey

Rhynn wrote:How did I not notice the chest pointing in a different direction O_O Now that I see it, it's so painfully obvious xD

Thanks a lot for the crits so far! I definitely have to practice metal, heh. I chose to have a slightly less shiny look for him here, but I admit that partly comes from pure laziness :oops:

Ambiguity, I think I see what you mean with the light. I'll have to stare at it and try some stuff before I'll (hopefully) really see it completely, though ^_^

With the hands I was trying to amplify the perspective, but it seems that failed xD I did have a lot of trouble with them though - I've got to practice my hand anatomy big time. I'm a bit afraid of practicing hand anatomy, but being on this forum is really giving me the practice-itch; seeing so many awesome artists drives me to practice to become one of the awesome ones as well :D

So, my to-do list after your crits:
-Practice metal
-Investigate the light thingy
-Anatomy practice
-Anatomy practice
-Anatomy practice
-And some more anatomy practice, haha ;)

Apart from what's already been said, i think you did a good job for such a difficult pose and perspective, keep practicing! :D

Postby marvel57 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:30 pm

marvel57

Marvel-style hands are always big ;) even in perspective

Postby Waveloop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 pm

Waveloop

Maybe it's me and I'm not reading the image has it it suppose to... but I really can't get my mind around his right arm and leg!!
I guess he is kneeling and punching the ground right?
In that case the leg is completely out of place since it indicates him to be standing...but then the other leg is in a kneeling position. It's freaking me out :)
If he is standing then I really don't understand what is going on with is hand...
But whatever the scenario, his right arm is way to long. Even in a over pushed perspective, just doesn't look right.

but that's me.

It is indeed a crazy perspective and is cool to see you attempting it.

Postby alnoth » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:53 pm

alnoth

wave, i think he is standing on his right foot - and extended leg, while he lifts his other knee...

but im having a hard time visualising his pose when it comes to arms and hands too. :P

Postby Waveloop » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:wave, i think he is standing on his right foot - and extended leg, while he lifts his other knee...

but im having a hard time visualising his pose when it comes to arms and hands too. :P

Then what is all that fuzz in the ground? Is he taking off and that is from is hand power buster... thing... that is creating all that commotion down there?!
Cuz if he is standing he can´t be punching the ground

Postby Jeffrey » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 am

Jeffrey

Waveloop wrote:
alnoth wrote:wave, i think he is standing on his right foot - and extended leg, while he lifts his other knee...

Then what is all that fuzz in the ground? Is he taking off and that is from is hand power buster... thing... that is creating all that commotion down there?!
Cuz if he is standing he can´t be punching the ground

Well i thought he was flying away :D

Postby Waveloop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:35 am

Waveloop

with everything that would have to be my guess has well. The other boosters should be firering too right? that would give a better reading

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:48 am

Ambiguity

Rhynn wrote:Thanks a lot for the crits so far! I definitely have to practice metal, heh. I chose to have a slightly less shiny look for him here, but I admit that partly comes from pure laziness :oops:

http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm#materials

Rhynn wrote:Ambiguity, I think I see what you mean with the light. I'll have to stare at it and try some stuff before I'll (hopefully) really see it completely, though ^_^

The left is how a light should work(according to my knowledge of lights anyway), the right is how you painted it:

Postby Waveloop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:18 am

Waveloop

Hope you don´t mind me messing around with your work.
If he is taking off, I would do something like this, using your lines has much as possible.

iron man.jpg

If he is punching the ground, then I'm afraid a lot of stuff has to be changed. Starting with... well basically everything... you can't punch the ground and be looking up like that...just doesn't work, and his arm would be almost twice has long has a normal arm :o. You would have to change the entire drawing... that perspective ain't gonna work if he is punching the ground, not if he is looking up anyway. cuz all the motion is going down, it would affect his posture and general attitude towards the ground... Ahrg just to damn weird, I don´t know what I'm saying anymore :roll: hope that helped anyway.

Postby alnoth » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 am

alnoth

i think it could work...

if you have sort of a single line of action being a big swoosh curve... one end of it is the fist punching ground, the other end is the head thrust back (chin up). if you look at my scrap paper right here where i sketched it, you would see what i mean... :D

Postby marvel57 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:15 pm

marvel57

Rhynn-welcome to critique! You can't say we don't care :D

Postby Waveloop » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:16 pm

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:i think it could work...

if you have sort of a single line of action being a big swoosh curve... one end of it is the fist punching ground, the other end is the head thrust back (chin up). if you look at my scrap paper right here where i sketched it, you would see what i mean... :D

Lets care a Little more shall we :D

It could work but you would have to change almost everything.

cuz the way the torso is placed he just wouldn't reach the ground
So basically I'll try and show

the torso and scapular apparatus aren't properly placed. The way the picture is right now, is torso upright and right shoulder slightly elevated. He couldn't even reach the ground in such position,left alone deliver a proper punch

Untitled-1.jpg

he could however look up right after he punched the floor and maintain that momentum.

iron_man_still05.jpg

iron_man.jpg

this is a motion capture, you have to respect motion attitude and proper positioning... perspective can distort things, and we can use it to our advantage, it does not change how th body works however

hope that helped :)

Return to Critique This!