Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby BrandonB » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 pm

  BrandonB
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Subject title: Late Halloween Picture

Oh I see, sorry no I have never used that before :( I use photoshop for everything

*EDIT* From what I see this software supports Layers and gradients so you can always create volume with gradients, even though that's kind of an art in itself xD Try experimenting with different gradients on different layers and such. From what I find, the software removed it's pressure sensitivity :[ That's great that you are getting a more powerful painter, for me photoshop is the best because i've used it for awhile now! Until then, you can check out a free program called GIMP I used it before I got into the photoshop and it's very good for free :mrgreen: I've forgotten if it supports pen pressure but I think it does!

 

Postby Nipponkage » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:42 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

Is this better?
test 271817.jpg

 

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:02 am

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

Nipponkage wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:The eyes seem like they aren't on the same level, and I think the one closest to the camera seems too big. The scythe seem like it's going through his hand, instead of him holding it IMO.


Which hand?

The lower hand, but there is a few more problems with this after looking at it:
Image
Hope you understand everything I'm talking about.

 

Postby Nipponkage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

Ambiguity wrote:
Nipponkage wrote:
Ambiguity wrote:The eyes seem like they aren't on the same level, and I think the one closest to the camera seems too big. The scythe seem like it's going through his hand, instead of him holding it IMO.


Which hand?

The lower hand, but there is a few more problems with this after looking at it:
Image
Hope you understand everything I'm talking about.



I've attemped to fin the hand and the robe. But I'm not sure how I can fix the arm length on the paint. Therefore I will use this mesurement in the next one in hopes of betering my drawing skills. :) Thx for the advise.

Oh and incase anyones wondering yes I will be asking for opinions throughout so I know what to look for at every stage. For example if I didn't put the original line art on the arms would be the complete wrong length.

Here's how it's turned out now.
Death.gif
This is the longest paint I've ever done... but it's the one I've enjoyed the most.

 

Postby BrandonB » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:48 pm

  BrandonB
Posts: 70
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Hey man wow, I am liking this a lot more! I can see volume in the robe now and I love the rope on the hip, that was great idea man! Heres a small tip that you may or may not have known but you can make great wrinkles by using a lighter shade of the purple/blueish color and a darker to the sides of that stroke. You should make a few wrinkles around where the belt is making the robe squish up and a few long wrinkles in the robe below the belt. Anyway, wow man wow I can see you are really getting more volume just on next one you start, began with those blotches. If it's say a white fabric, it would be good to use like a light shade of bluish grey. If it is yellow or something warm, you want to try and blotch with saturated warm like orange or something and work your way up to the color you want. But man i'm looking at it and I can just see much life in the robe now, it's very cool! Can't wait to see final, good luck! :D

 

Postby Nipponkage » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:49 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

BrandonB wrote:Hey man wow, I am liking this a lot more! I can see volume in the robe now and I love the rope on the hip, that was great idea man! Heres a small tip that you may or may not have known but you can make great wrinkles by using a lighter shade of the purple/blueish color and a darker to the sides of that stroke. You should make a few wrinkles around where the belt is making the robe squish up and a few long wrinkles in the robe below the belt. Anyway, wow man wow I can see you are really getting more volume just on next one you start, began with those blotches. If it's say a white fabric, it would be good to use like a light shade of bluish grey. If it is yellow or something warm, you want to try and blotch with saturated warm like orange or something and work your way up to the color you want. But man i'm looking at it and I can just see much life in the robe now, it's very cool! Can't wait to see final, good luck! :D


Could you show me an example? Does this only work with fabrics?

 

Postby Nipponkage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:56 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

I've finally started with the background, but I'm not 100% sure that I did it right. also I shortened the width of the eye. My Sister suggests that the light on the grass dosn't match the light from the will-o-wisp. What's you opinion?
test deth10.gif
There's going to be more.
Last edited by Nipponkage on Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

 

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:16 pm

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

Nipponkage wrote:My Sister suggests that the light on the grass dosn't mathc the light from the will-o-wisp. What's you opinion?

That depends, is this going to be a night time picture or daytime?

 

Postby Nipponkage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:26 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

Ambiguity wrote:
Nipponkage wrote:My Sister suggests that the light on the grass dosn't mathc the light from the will-o-wisp. What's you opinion?

That depends, is this going to be a night time picture or daytime?


night.

 

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:33 pm

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

In that case, I think your grass is way too saturated. Also, with the way you've painted everything else, I don't think your will-o-wisp is a very strong light source, so the grass might not be lit by it at all.

 

Postby Nipponkage » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:38 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

Ambiguity wrote:In that case, I think your grass is way too saturated. Also, with the way you've painted everything else, I don't think your will-o-wisp is a very strong light source, so the grass might not be lit by it at all.


So I should increase the brightness of the will-o-wisp I prosume. If so here, I tired to fix it.
test deth10.gif

 

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:43 pm

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

Nipponkage wrote:So I should increase the brightness of the will-o-wisp I prosume.

Only if you want, but simply increasing the brightness won't make it look like a light source.

Check out Sycra's critique video where he talks about fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0M2_pvStAg&feature=plcp

Also, you'll need to reflect that lighting on the character more just like he did in the video.

 

Postby alnoth » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:49 am

  alnoth
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:30 am

you have too much color in the picture if its a night scene.

moonlight - bluish color (closer to white than blue, actually)
your whirly thing - pinkish color

you would not see a lot more other colors than these. if at all, the saturation will be down to a minimum.

 

Postby Nipponkage » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:17 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

I've drawn some more. Also These are all on difrent layers. So now there are 18 layers.

Am I right in thinking that the pink light on the trees is way too light/ saturated.
test deth10.gif
I'm going to do more of the background later (i.e. finish the trees)

 

Postby alnoth » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:22 am

  alnoth
Posts: 1271
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:30 am

the shape of the hood is all wrong, imo. the sharp corner in the upper right corner of the face is impossible, it would have to be sown into that particular shape. take a look at some reference, along with folds:

Image

as for the pink light, i dont see how it would be possible for the pink light to reach the kids face like that...

 

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:02 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

alnoth wrote:as for the pink light, i dont see how it would be possible for the pink light to reach the kids face like that...


The lights refecting off of the syth.

And as for the shape of the hood. I fixed it from an earyler mistake (critique by Otakatt). Check the first page.

 

Postby Nipponkage » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:33 pm

  Nipponkage
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 pm
Location: Cumernauld, Scotland :)

I think I'm almost done but I just would like a last minute check.
Death the kid.jpg

Previous

Return to Critique This!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron