Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:37 am

GauntletsTheArtist

Subject title: A piece I finally finished.

God! I'm somewhat lazy!

Anyways, I finally got around 2 finishin' dis piece here. How'd I do?
EDIT: Without my mark...

Postby BrandonB » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 am

BrandonB

Hi, I am unsure if this is to be a stylized art or no, but it appears there are some issues with the facial anatomy. For instance: The lips are very far down from the nose when compared to the average human face. A neat trick that is very useful is to imagine the face to be a skull, imagine those teeth being that far down on his face you see? Here is a tutorial that is very easy to follow and will guarantee to teach you how to draw faces much better. Yes it's a comic-book style, but it will definitely help you to understand the basic structure then you can tweak the style in your way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3y6k_vk_Vg

I also recommend using some reference photo's of 3/4 view because drawing from mind we tend to trick ourselves with anatomy. I do that all of the time when I draw from mind, then my anatomy is always wrong. Maybe over the years I can get it down in my head haha I hope that will help for you, good luck keep drawing! :D

Postby Alexanderthefake » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:30 am

Alexanderthefake

The face is the hardest part of anatomy. Try using a reference image, vut draw it upside down. It seems as if you have a mid tone and a partial highlight? Mostly mid tones, try picking a darrrrk black and keep the mid and a brighhhht highlight and shade them together. What program are you using? also, simple shapes rock, especially the triangle. Try fractaling aspects of the face to better understand where everything Is.

Do you use a graphite pencil a lot? Sometimes people do not want to get away from the mudtone-light tones because they do not want to get too dark, and graphite can also never produce a deep black sinceit has a reflective quality. Try an HB charcoal pencil and kneaded eraser. that helped me get away from graphite but not in the fragile state of soft charcoal.

Good job! It looks like one of picassos paintings. Also, if you do not want to go through the madness of studying anatomy just trace or use a projector. There is nothing wrong with using tools to learn and create. Its about expression, and im sure michaelangelo would kick ass with a 3d printer and muybridge would be filming in 3d. There is some artistic muscle gained in learning the hard way, but when I think of all the time ive spent studying and people ive blown off studying, I mean if your a normal person use as many tools as you cn and live a better life. ;)

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:47 pm

GauntletsTheArtist

Alexanderthefake wrote:What program are you using?

Photoshop CS4, which I've had since... 2008 methinx.

Alexanderthefake wrote:Do you use a graphite pencil a lot?

Yeah I do, but sometimes I don't like 2 shade things in when I sketch in my book. Sometimes I will, tho. Actually, I'm now gettin' into da habit of usin' "erasable colored pencils (did I say dat right)" 2 draw so I can try an' get BACK into shading.

Alexanderthefake wrote:Also, if you do not want to go through the madness of studying anatomy just trace or use a projector.

LOL! Ur talkin' 2 a str8 up anatomy nut! I'm always lookin', when I'm drawin', 4 da perfect references when I draw poses cuz I wanna get everything right!

PS: Who here has references 2 da inner arms an' inner thighs, muscular wise?

Postby Ambiguity » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Ambiguity

GauntletsTheArtist wrote:PS: Who here has references 2 da inner arms an' inner thighs, muscular wise?

http://inspirationalartworks.blogspot.c ... mages.html

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 pm

GauntletsTheArtist

Ambiguity wrote:
GauntletsTheArtist wrote:PS: Who here has references 2 da inner arms an' inner thighs, muscular wise?

http://inspirationalartworks.blogspot.c ... mages.html

Yeah! I went an' bookmarked dat. I know I'll need it down da line. :P

Postby marvel57 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:20 pm

marvel57

Guants-that's one ugly motha' lol :lol:

Postby Fenix_N » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:36 pm

Fenix_N

Alexanderthefake wrote:Good job! It looks like one of picassos paintings. Also, if you do not want to go through the madness of studying anatomy just trace or use a projector. There is nothing wrong with using tools to learn and create. Its about expression, and im sure michaelangelo would kick ass with a 3d printer and muybridge would be filming in 3d. There is some artistic muscle gained in learning the hard way, but when I think of all the time ive spent studying and people ive blown off studying, I mean if your a normal person use as many tools as you cn and live a better life. ;)

You know.. this reminds me of a theory I heard from someone that those famous Renaissance artists are really just good copyists. They would set up a grid and reproduce an image from it. But when I look at Michaelangelo's drawings and the studies he did before he started on his pieces, I have doubts about that theory. Well, if you can sell your art and make a living with minimal work, then that's great. Trying to figure out a way to do that myself.. but the more I dive into art, the more I start to see that there is a lot of hard work and studies involved :(

Postby marvel57 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:55 pm

marvel57

It kind of looks famous MAD magazine cartoonist, Basil Wolverton, the exageratedly ugly , pock marked grotesque faces he drew :shock:

Postby GauntletsTheArtist » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 am

GauntletsTheArtist

marvel57 wrote:It kind of looks famous MAD magazine cartoonist, Basil Wolverton, the exageratedly ugly , pock marked grotesque faces he drew :shock:

I just googled 'em an' ... imagine if he was a concept artist 4 most of today's videogames...

Return to Critique This!