Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 17, 2012 11:46 am

Ambiguity

Subject title: The New Lara Croft

I should probably start by saying I'm painfully aware of everything that is wrong with this. What I'm really looking for is advice on how to fix the things that are wrong with it. Then, maybe I can paint over it in the future and fix all it's problems(or at least learn how to correct future paintings).

Anyways, this is a painting I did early last year. I kind of rushed things towards the end(which shows) because I was frustrated with it.

Postby Sycra » Tue May 29, 2012 7:46 am

Sycra
Site Admin

What do you feel is wrong with it?

Postby Ambiguity » Tue May 29, 2012 8:02 am

Ambiguity

For some reason I knew you would ask this hehe.

Anyways, there is a few things:
Anatomy/Proportion - Things like the head not feeling like it's connected to a neck, the arms have a pretty wonky silhouette in places, the face is noticeably skewed when the canvas is flipped, etc.
Perspective - Many of the body parts are facing different directions(again, more noticeable when I flip the canvas).
Lighting - I noticed later on that some of my rim lighting doesn't make any sense.
Rendering - A few things here and there feel very flat to me(parts of the arms, and pretty much the entire back leg). The gun doesn't really look that metallic to me. There are also things like the background and "grime" on her that I half assed(like I said I got frustrated with it), so obviously those things look terrible.

The few things I actually like where how the the t-shirts and holster have appropriate looking texture to them(to my eyes at least).
Last edited by Ambiguity on Tue May 29, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby kur0s4k1 » Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 am

kur0s4k1

just my opinion,sure master sycra help you better

Postby Ambiguity » Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 am

Ambiguity

I was thinking that about the shoulder too, I think your draw over made her a bit too thin though.

Something else I noticed is her hair part is making her hair face a completely different direction then her face, I wonder if this is what's making her head seem skewed when I flip it. I really need to work on perspective, I think it throws off a lot of things. I think part of the problems I had with this arose from using various references and not understanding how to turn them in my head so they fit into one consistent piece. Thus, I ended up with many perspectives which in turn threw the proportions off.

Postby valcar2d » Thu May 31, 2012 12:29 am

valcar2d

Hello, here is my interpretation of what's good, i'm not an expert like sycra, but i believe we can learn from everyone errors, in my opinion you should think in basic shapes, for example, cubes and cylinders those are the basic, and with complex perspectives can help a lot, i have some corrections i've made hope you can understand it. IMHO
MUDikCorrections.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:46 pm

Ambiguity

Randomly decided to try and sketch this(the base anyway) with the proper perspective today:

.:Edit:.
Hmm, I think I accidentally put the left leg over too far to her right side if you know what I mean(does that sound weird or what?).

Postby Waveloop » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Waveloop

The feet are in the same line. This is a very unstable stance... she would be very uncomfortable shotting a gun like this.
The stance frame needs to be redone imo.
di1qR.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:37 am

Ambiguity

Yup, I noticed it to.

Fix?:

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:03 am

Jeffrey

It almost looks like its an top view, and the horizon doesn't seem to match with the environment.
Let me try something ( i hope i do this right, if i don't, correct me.)
k5oFa.jpg
shot.jpg
try to take an characters pose and feel the weight of your body shifting!
Last edited by Jeffrey on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby marvel57 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:16 am

marvel57

The hands look wrong, if the fingers are inter-laced, where are the thumbs. When shooting a pistol one usually grips the gun normally, and cups the free hand under the shooting hand to support it :ugeek: the fingers look like viennna sausages

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:54 am

Ambiguity

Jeffrey: I dont understand what point you're trying to illustrate, especially on the latter drawing.

marvel57: Oh, this is old. I'm not really worried about fixing this anymore, I just got the urge to see if I could redraw the pose in the proper perspective for some reason.

Postby Jeffrey » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:16 am

Jeffrey

Ambiguity wrote:Jeffrey: I dont understand what point you're trying to illustrate, especially on the latter drawing.

marvel57: Oh, this is old. I'm not really worried about fixing this anymore, I just got the urge to see if I could redraw the pose in the proper perspective for some reason.

i'm sorry for not explaining clearly.
She looked like she was drawed from the top, and the horizon line was very low, so the perspective i think is wrong.
also she looked like she was falling to the right side of her. like she was unbalanced, and i hope this will fix it.

if you still don't understand, i can draw it better out. :oops:

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 am

alnoth

did you think of rotating her crouched leg outward?

she has 3 points of support, foot1, knee, foot2. these need to be in as wide a triangle as possible for best support. i would try to put her thighs in a 60-ish degree (or almost) angle.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-el7b9IxebtU/T ... sition.jpg
http://airsoftcommando.files.wordpress. ... eeling.jpg
http://welikeshooting.com/wp-content/up ... 0x232.jpeg

i know these are rifles, but the stability principle for the kneeling position is the same

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:33 pm

Ambiguity

When I first drew it, I was thinking of something you could quickly get out of, I even got into the stance myself a few times to test it out lol. Besides, like you said all three of those men are using rifles, which you need all the stability you can get with those because of the recoil. With a hand gun, 2 outstretched hands is usually enough.

I was thinking more along the lines of these:
http://littlemisswesker.deviantart.com/art/Gun-Drawing-Pose-2-210830671
http://t2.ftcdn.net/jpg/00/38/92/15/400_F_38921575_MWt1DpGDr71ItMgI5FNw7cVnvfjlN6za.jpg
http://th00.deviantart.net/fs19/PRE/i/2007/281/4/6/Soldier_Kneeling_with_Handgun2_by_Moonlight_Song_Stock.jpg

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:04 pm

alnoth

well, your last pic also has the guy in the same stance i am talking about - to me, it just seems a lot more natural. *shrug*

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Ambiguity

alnoth wrote:well, your last pic also has the guy in the same stance i am talking about.

So it does. ;)

alnoth wrote:to me, it just seems a lot more natural. *shrug*

I don't see how it could be "a lot more natural" considering I can do the stance I drew comfortably, and it was the first pose I went to when coming up with this. Maybe it's a bit more stable, but unnecessarily so for my intents and purposes.

Postby alnoth » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:30 pm

alnoth

I don't see how it could be "a lot more natural"

maybe we are different people then, thats ok. for me, even if i just drop to one knee to tie a shoe lace, i stick it outward like that - thats why im saying "a lot more natural" - it is what i do without thinking when kneeling down to pick up stuff or whatever.

Postby BrandonB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:57 am

BrandonB

Wow looking good! I think that the hands can use some working. I understand you don't need to draw every detail of a finger, well in fact that can work against you in this type of style, but maybe just define them a little more. Her face and expression is very good! Nice work btw

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:29 am

Ambiguity

BrandonB wrote:Wow looking good! I think that the hands can use some working. I understand you don't need to draw every detail of a finger, well in fact that can work against you in this type of style, but maybe just define them a little more. Her face and expression is very good! Nice work btw
Ambiguity wrote:marvel57: Oh, this is old. I'm not really worried about fixing this anymore, I just got the urge to see if I could redraw the pose in the proper perspective for some reason.

See the 6th post down from the OP.

Postby BrandonB » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:05 am

BrandonB

Ambiguity wrote:
BrandonB wrote:Wow looking good! I think that the hands can use some working. I understand you don't need to draw every detail of a finger, well in fact that can work against you in this type of style, but maybe just define them a little more. Her face and expression is very good! Nice work btw
Ambiguity wrote:marvel57: Oh, this is old. I'm not really worried about fixing this anymore, I just got the urge to see if I could redraw the pose in the proper perspective for some reason.

See the 6th post down from the OP.

Oh wow, am a little tipsy tipsy you know haha Sorry :ugeek:

Return to Critique This!