Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby slamothecow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:51 pm

slamothecow

Subject title: Need fresh Eyes... slamothecow

This is another early attempt at digital art for me. It took me a really long time to finish this because I was trying to learn shading and lighting. I was inspired by a scene in "24", where this lady was being tortured in a bath tub. In the background there was this really creepy guy wearing aviator goggles and an clear rain jacket. I started drawing Immediately. I am proud because i did this really early on, but i am never satisfied. I would love a fresh pair of eyes to look at this and tell me what should be done better. The site has my permission to use this in a video. I would be Honored.
Stranger resized.jpg

Postby Fenix_N » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Fenix_N

I was going to say his eyes are too almond shaped, but then I think it does add to the creepiness, so it might be a keeper. I think you could work on making the face more 3 dimensional. Right now it looks a little flat. You might have started using a soft round to start blending too early before you established the plane changes of his face.

Postby slamothecow » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:09 pm

slamothecow

you are right about the eyes, i never noticed that before. And, yes you were right about blending too early. I was really confused about the direction that I wanted so I was blending as I went along. Thank you!

Postby Taguian » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:02 am

Taguian

i think that shading the shades (can that be said? lol) would add some mystery to the chatacter, you should make a copy of the file and try it out :D you know too make it look like some kind of badass scientist or something :P, i really like it, the hair is a little to glued i think, but these are all opinions from a newbie :ugeek:

Postby slamothecow » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:44 pm

slamothecow

Taguian wrote:i think that shading the shades (can that be said? lol) would add some mystery to the chatacter, you should make a copy of the file and try it out :D you know too make it look like some kind of badass scientist or something :P, i really like it, the hair is a little to glued i think, but these are all opinions from a newbie :ugeek:

You make some good points too.when i get a new tablet, i will try shiding the guy some more. Especially in his neck. It looks a little too light now that I look at it. About his hair it does look really static. I was trying to go for a really neat freak, pasted to the skull type of hair. I don't po hair like that anymore though, so i don't think that i will change that, but i think you are right anyway. Thanks for your help.

Return to Critique This!