Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby wercianka » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 pm

wercianka

Subject title: general digital painting help

Hi,
I'm struggling with the shadows and colors. Any advice would be helpful.
Thanks
mrtw3.jpg
mrtw4.jpg
ldka.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:25 pm

Josephcow

Nice work so far! The boat image looks wonderful. You definitely have the right idea, separating light and shadow, and then painting objects in kind of stripes or planes of color. The only trouble is you need much more of them. Things only look round if there is a fine gradation indicated, but you have a bunch of overlapping chunky brushstrokes which interrupt the form turning. In other words, your transitions need to be more refined.

The other thing is that the highlights are too big. When everything has been set up for it, a tiny prick of light sets off the form. But a big white patch will actually make it look more flat.

Hope this helps, I could probably help more if I saw the reference for any of these.

Postby wercianka » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:14 am

wercianka

Postby Audiazif » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:51 am

Audiazif

Colors are okay. They get the job done but they are a little stall and "meh". The only thing that I could say to improve the color is to experiment. Knowing color theory will only get you so far, trial and error is the best way to really gain a personal understanding of color. I think you kind of fell into the line of thinking like "I see [color name], so I should paint [color name]". It is really apparent in the tomato painting. In your painting you saw "white" so you painted a lot of white. However, in the ref there are all these warm, redish pales, from the influence of the tomatoes on the white, and in the shadow it almost a cool, blue-grey or even violet-grey. The colors you see in your reference or in life don't always have to be translated one for one on the to the canvas, if you see dark in your ref it doesn't mean black. As long as the relationships between the colors on your canvas are similar to colors in your ref, then things will look believable.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!