Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby undeadcrabstick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:31 am

undeadcrabstick

Subject title: Digital art critique required

Heya there, I was trying to portray a more or less believable pale complexion but I feel like the skin looks kina dull, and a bit dark. The upper lip has been killing me, the character is supposed to have an upper lip that's bigger than the lower one but I don't know how to pull it off while drawing a smile or smirk. But mainly it's the skin - it has the hues of a pale skin but I don't think the values are right. Are the scleras of the eye too bright, do they make the skin seem darker? :/

Link to the artwork >>>http://fav.me/dddghye<<<

Postby Cedric » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:13 pm

Cedric

Heya,
Is this portrait painted solely in Krita? The details are very well executed, you have an interesting dev page.
However, I do agree with your own remarks. To me it also seems that your skintone is a bit too dark. Therefore, I believe the values of the shadows lose some of their effectiveness in conveying form. More often than not, an upper lip will be darker in value than a lower lip (common lighting source). I don't really see that in this portrait except with the highlights on the lower lip. For the most part, I'm missing some contrast here and there. If you google braided hair, it is usually a lot darker inbetween the bundles of hair.

https://images.app.goo.gl/KcMdyyxJAmAd4s3XA

Postby ossifer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:16 am

ossifer

Hey! I made a quick paintover, hope this helps:

Spoiler: show

Imo, your rendering is really nice, especially on the skin and eyes! I 100% never have the patience for that, hah. One thing to keep in mind is that if you're going to have a setup with a rim light, it helps if it's distinctly brighter/a different hue than the rest of the light on their face- otherwise the values look more muddled and washed out. And especially with lighter hair colours, when strands are backlit like that, the hair will usually catch a lot of light and the colour looks more saturated. Same with the metal earrings, you can just go nuts with fun highlights.

I think I get what you're trying to do with the mouth shape too. It helps if you think of the whole chunk between the mouth and nose as like... a kind of wedge shape? If someone has a very thin lip, it'll be relatively flat, but if they have a thicker lip, the whole area will tilt out more, and you'll get a highlight over the part that sticks out the farthest.

There's a few other nitpicks- I think if you simplified the shapes in the braid and hair overall, it would be less distracting from the face, and be a better way of showing the lighting and form. A good rule of thumb is to focus the details in the lit areas, and simplify in the shadows.

Return to Critique This!