Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Agitato » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:19 am

Agitato

Subject title: Agitato's Sketchbook (NSFW)

Hello! I'm new to the forums, but I've been a viewer of Sycra and Sinix for a couple years now. My default mode is always to lurk, but I'm trying to break that now xD

I'm starting this sketchbook in the hopes it'll help me keep up with drawing/painting regularly (I'm never drawing as much as I should T_T).

These are just some figure drawings from photo ref I did trying to get back into the swing of things (I took a break from figure drawing for a few months). My tendency is to spend too much time studying art stuff and not enough applying it, so I'm hoping to fix that moving forward.
I also started using Clip Studio Paint recently, so I've been getting used to that as well. So far I've been liking it, and think I'll probably try to stick with it.

Comments, critiques, suggestions and any other feedback are welcome and appreciated!
dailypracticeCLIP_small.jpg
I didn't realize the image would have to be so small, in the future I'll try to break these up more

Postby Gevoian » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:42 am

Gevoian

Really like the figure on the far right and welcome to the forums, would like to see more.

Postby Moe » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:44 am

Moe

Really good I'll definitely be following this SB!

Postby MartiMa » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:50 am

MartiMa

I really love your works! Very good job! :o
There is only one thing that doesn't feel right in the third figure from the right: I think the arm on the right it's a bit too long and doesn't seem on the same plane and hight of the other one

Postby Agitato » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:48 pm

Agitato

Gevoian wrote:Really like the figure on the far right and welcome to the forums, would like to see more.

Thanks! Funny you mentioned that one, it was actually my least favorite on the page probably xD

Moe wrote:Really good I'll definitely be following this SB!

Thanks, glad to hear it!

MartiMa wrote:I really love your works! Very good job! :o
There is only one thing that doesn't feel right in the third figure from the right: I think the arm on the right it's a bit too long and doesn't seem on the same plane and hight of the other one

Thank you! Yeah you're right, oops lol

Here's some more figure drawings, time spent on each one varies quite a bit. I need to solidify my construction conceptualizations and study anatomy more intensively in the near future. Also hands and faces.
I'll post something from imagination soonish once it's done! Can't slack on that either. These are mostly meant to be warmups but I can get carried away a little sometimes...
Figure Practice CLIP.png

Postby Polymath » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:32 am

Polymath

Looks very very cool! And in the end you were hinting at armor, that promises to get interesting; how about a full armor drawing next time? would probably look very cool if you do it.

Postby arodude » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 am

arodude

I really dig the sense of form in your figures! Awesome stuff.

Postby fi_le » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:57 pm

fi_le

Hi Agitato!
Woah, that's some anatomy alright. Are you this good with male bodies, too?
You could teach lessons with this kind of understanding.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Agitato » Thu May 02, 2019 9:32 pm

Agitato

Polymath wrote:Looks very very cool! And in the end you were hinting at armor, that promises to get interesting; how about a full armor drawing next time? would probably look very cool if you do it.

Oh, that was just some weird costume on sketchdaily xD
Armor is something I've been meaning to study for quite a while now but keep putting it off, I should get on that sometime ._.

arodude wrote:I really dig the sense of form in your figures! Awesome stuff.

Thanks! :D

fi_le wrote:Woah, that's some anatomy alright. Are you this good with male bodies, too?
You could teach lessons with this kind of understanding.

Haha, you flatter me! Idk about teaching, but maybe someday I hope!
I actually hardly ever draw males lol, I really need to brush up on my muscle anatomy. Been slowly and steadily trying to learn the muscles. I drew a couple males figures this time though!
Figure Practice CLIP2.png
Figure Practice CLIP1.png

Postby Agitato » Sat May 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Agitato

Been playing around with colors for these. I need to paint more :(
Figure Practice CLIP3.png
Figure Practice CLIP4.png
Figure Practice CLIP5.png
asaro head2_small.png
Painted this from life a while ago. Played around with a bunch of brushes I found just to experiment.

Postby Josephcow » Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 am

Josephcow

Whoaaa the painting from life looks really good. Love the figure drawings also, there's a real strength to them

Postby geryes » Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 am

geryes

Welcome to the forum! I really like your sketchbook and I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. You got great looking figures, linework, and a great sense of anatomy. Keep up the great work because it's definitely the level I am striving for and you've inspired me to get better!

Only thing I could suggest is working on more clothing. Take it from me as someone who barely clothes his own figures :P.

Looking forward to seeing more.
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Agitato » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:44 am

Agitato

Josephcow wrote:Whoaaa the painting from life looks really good. Love the figure drawings also, there's a real strength to them

Thanks! I checked out your sketchbook when I first joined the forums, and coming from you that's very nice to hear!

geryes wrote:Welcome to the forum! I really like your sketchbook and I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it. You got great looking figures, linework, and a great sense of anatomy. Keep up the great work because it's definitely the level I am striving for and you've inspired me to get better!

Only thing I could suggest is working on more clothing. Take it from me as someone who barely clothes his own figures :P.

Looking forward to seeing more.

D'aww thanks, glad to hear it! I definitely agree with needing to study clothing more xD. Been studying cloth lately and I'm still trying to wrap my brain around folds @_@

More figure drawing stuff. Some good days, some bad :|
Spoiler: show
Figure Practice CLIP6.png
Figure Practice CLIP7.png
Figure Practice CLIP8.png
Figure Practice CLIP9.png
Figure Practice CLIP_10.png
Figure Practice CLIP_11.png

I really need to buckle down and learn anatomy properly. I've been trying to get on a consistent daily schedule but I'm not entirely sure how I should structure my study time :?

Also, I've been trying to better understand painting. Here's a couple of 5-value practices. For the first one I stuck more to the 5 values, but for the second I just started with them and then tried to add more intermediate values but stay within the neighborhood of the original value. My goal was to do these quickly without getting too fussy, but I definitely failed at that for the second one xD. In the future I'll try to do these kind of things daily in about an hour each so I don't get overly finicky with it.
paintsketches.png
paintsketches_2.png

Next time I'll have stuff from imagination instead of just studies! This I vow!

Postby Azy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Azy

Woah, I haven't seen this sketchbook here yet. Some great stuff here going on, namely the strong figure drawing. Keep it up!

Postby Agitato » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:14 pm

Agitato

Figure drawing practice dump
Figure Practice CLIP_12.png
Figure Practice CLIP_13.png
Figure Practice CLIP_14.png
Figure Practice CLIP_15.png
Figure Practice CLIP_16.png
Figure Practice CLIP_17.png

Also, I've finally started studying anatomy seriously, so will be continuing with that! Hopefully it'll be the next step in improving significantly, these are feeling pretty stagnant and honestly I'm hesitant to bother posting most of them. Some pages are months old, I kinda had a hiatus period. Been too long!
I've sort of been struggling internally for a long while. Trying to overcome nihilism and the Sisyphean nature of being an artist I suppose :\

It's all I've got though really, and honestly there's nothing I like more than art, so I think I've finally managed to convince the "dumb" parts of myself it's worth it. But I need self-discipline! Discipline is freedom, as they say.

As I said last time, I have a couple things from imagination, although these are also months old at this point:
Annotation 2019-05-14 192735_crop.jpg

I started painting this one but I think it ended up looking worse than the sketch so I scrapped it and probably won't pick it up again. I'll revisit the idea later though, THIS ISN'T OVER!

Commission for a FFXIV friend. I had to jpg this one since it was still more than 1MB even at 1000px wide, better quality is on my links ofc though if anyone is interested.
Zap Commission_c_final_mini-jpg.jpg

I was hoping to start taking commissions when I rolled this one out, but it never took off really, and seeing as no one knows I exist, I shouldn't really be surprised. I need to up my productivity and get my socials rolling! Discipline!

That's all for this time, I should be posting regularly again. No more gaps, gotta keep myself moving! Discipline!

Postby Josephcow » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 am

Josephcow

The last post looks amazing! I'm sure you'll be able to get some commissions, it's just a matter of getting a following.

Postby Agitato » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:45 am

Agitato

Azy wrote:Woah, I haven't seen this sketchbook here yet. Some great stuff here going on, namely the strong figure drawing. Keep it up!

Woops, missed ya last time. Thanks for the encouragement!

Josephcow wrote:The last post looks amazing! I'm sure you'll be able to get some commissions, it's just a matter of getting a following.

Thanks for the vote of confidence :D My output rate still needs serious fixing so I can hopefully build a following up, but I'm gonna get there!

Yikes, been 2 full months. Not as productive as I'd have liked, but I'm getting better. I have been reading a lot and studying up on painting and anatomy, so I feel I am making some progress still despite my lack of finished work recently. Still doesn't cut it though, gotta keep ramping up!

Did these daily "pen and marker" sketches for about a week after watching Design Cinema 101. I didn't keep with it, but I could quickly feel how studies like these really help build your visual library if you want to be a concept artist. The skulls really suggested sci-fi ship forms to me! But since I'm more illustratively focused, I put them on hold for now while I hit other fundies. Hope to get back to them sometime though, I'd like to do design to some extent in the future, especially characters.
Annotation 2019-10-23 165314.png
Annotation 2019-10-24 165111.png
Annotation 2019-10-25 164403.jpg
Annotation 2019-10-27 160131.jpg
Annotation 2019-10-29 192337.jpg
Annotation 2019-10-30 140447.jpg
Annotation 2019-10-31 183740.jpg
Annotation 2019-11-01 173615.jpg

Have a few painting studies too, been reading through Alla Prima II recently, along with notes on Sargent's methods. Also Craig Mullins' Sujin posts, interesting stuff in there.
paintsketches_3.png
Played with a lot of brushes.
paintsketches_4.png
paintsketches_4-2.png
I actually prefer the hard-edged variant of this, guess I got carried away with smoothing.
paintsketches_5.png
For this one I wanted to shift my focus purely to drawing and values, and disregard edges. Was an interesting challenge because the ref is very diffusely lit, and mostly in shadow (light source up and behind)
paintsketches_6.png
This continued my focus on drawing and values, but on the previous study without a set limit, I felt I resorted to banding like a bad gradient. Here, I limited it to 3, so good shapes are vital. Got the idea from Sinix :D. I also felt keenly aware of the fact that every pleasing color combination I came up with has been used extensively elsewhere. Ah well, graphic design has been around a lot longer than I have so it's unavoidable I suppose lol. I'll get back to edges like in my first couple studies soon, just wanted to solidify drawing and values a bit more first.

Been studying anatomy like I said too, but nothing worth posting I feel, just exercises. Trying proko currently. That's all for now! Next post will be much sooner than 2 months away. Discipline.

Return to Sketchbook