Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:59 am

godsi

Subject title: Kurapika Fanart (Portrait)

Hi everyone, I recently painted a quick portrait of Kurapika from the HunterxHunter series. If anyone has any suggestions I'm willing to listen.
Some background about my experience:
I have been drawing digitally for 6 years.
I have never taken any art lessons, I am self-taught.
I do not paint often, I'm more of a traditional artist now.
I'm using a tablet and Clip Studio Paint.
Thank you.
IMG_20181206_0004v3.png

Postby Audiazif » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 pm

Audiazif

(I forgot to flip image back to how you had it. Let's just play it off as trying to show the usefulness of mirroring)

I think the painting part, the actual laying down of "paint", is fine. Where I think you need work is the drawing or sketching part. The biggest issue is you have unintentionally pulled the features and face into a more "front view" orientation. This is the tendency that happens a lot because we don't usually think of a head or face this way. It is the conflict of what we think and what we actually/should be seeing. You pulled the closer eye over too far to the right and pulled the far side of the face out a little left. The features seem like they could be slightly in the wrong orientation however it is hard to say definitively because things were askew and in my edit I just tweaked things to make them work (my edit is not perfect). Another thing with the 3/4 view is things come off the center line. They are not directly on the center line. For example, the center lines of the nose and mouth do not line up with the center line of the face, the nose and mouth come out, off, the center line of the face a little. I think you might of aligned the nose and mouth on the center line.

I also think you could work on you proportions a little. Things seem like they are not the right size compared to other things. After I tweaked the feature in my edit, the head/hair seemed massive (still think they are in my edit).
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Wb_draws » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 pm

Wb_draws

To me lighting seems a little bit off, hairs seem to be lighten from the upper right side, but then chin and nose are lighten more from the left. Shadow on the neck kind of indicate the same light direction as for hairs, but lips dont. I would decide on light direction and try to be consistent with it. I would also add more cast shadows, for example below the nose.

Overall it reads well as a 3 dimensional object, so I think that you are on the right path :)

Postby godsi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am

godsi

Wb_draws wrote:To me lighting seems a little bit off, hairs seem to be lighten from the upper right side, but then chin and nose are lighten more from the left. Shadow on the neck kind of indicate the same light direction as for hairs, but lips dont. I would decide on light direction and try to be consistent with it. I would also add more cast shadows, for example below the nose.

Overall it reads well as a 3 dimensional object, so I think that you are on the right path :)

Thank you! I see it now : D

Postby godsi » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:07 am

godsi

Audiazif wrote:Image
(I forgot to flip image back to how you had it. Let's just play it off as trying to show the usefulness of mirroring)

I think the painting part, the actual laying down of "paint", is fine. Where I think you need work is the drawing or sketching part. The biggest issue is you have unintentionally pulled the features and face into a more "front view" orientation. This is the tendency that happens a lot because we don't usually think of a head or face this way. It is the conflict of what we think and what we actually/should be seeing. You pulled the closer eye over too far to the right and pulled the far side of the face out a little left. The features seem like they could be slightly in the wrong orientation however it is hard to say definitively because things were askew and in my edit I just tweaked things to make them work (my edit is not perfect). Another thing with the 3/4 view is things come off the center line. They are not directly on the center line. For example, the center lines of the nose and mouth do not line up with the center line of the face, the nose and mouth come out, off, the center line of the face a little. I think you might of aligned the nose and mouth on the center line.

I also think you could work on you proportions a little. Things seem like they are not the right size compared to other things. After I tweaked the feature in my edit, the head/hair seemed massive (still think they are in my edit).

Thank you! I see my mistakes now. I will practice by drawing skulls and using other exercises to help with my proportions.

Return to Critique This!