Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Inkey » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:49 am

Inkey

Subject title: Your daily routines and practices

Hello!

For the longest time I never knew how to structure my time with drawing.
Should I do practices? Projects? Free style sketch-ploration? Sacrificing small animals to sycra's shrine?
I leave a lot of planning to sheer whims, which I felt left me very inconsistent with my practices/output.

So I like to hear from you guys. Do you draw whatever/whenever you feel like? Or do you take up a more structured approach, where you focus nothing but that one goal for that indefinite amount of time?
E.i to say: How does your day to day look like?

Let's use this thread to make some discussion happen you mad babies. :^D

Bonus image
Spoiler: show
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [Tumblr sketchbook] [Instagram]

Postby azarga » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:50 pm

azarga

Inkey wrote:E.i to say: How does your day to day look like?

You asked for it, too late to complain now!
(to save your time, everything art-related is in italic)

0640: wake up, shower, get ready, wake kids up, get kids ready for Kindergarten
0740: get the kids to KG, go to work, maybe catch a few minutes of sleep while on a bus
0900: workday starts
1800: workday ends, 3.2 km jog to get to subway station to pick kids up in time
1845: pick kids up from KG
1900: evening subroutines: house chores, kids' interests/playtime, kids' bathing
2200: kids are finally sleeping (haha, you wish), short recovery time (includes tea)
2230-2300: sit in front of a PC, open drawing app
2300-2315: stare on a blank canvas, savoring the acute anxiety
2315-0000: vain attempts to sketch something, growing sense of worthlessness
0000-0HHH: continue until exhaustion overcomes dread of never achieving anything

0HHH: succumb to a dreamless, dead sleep

repeat
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby svarn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

svarn

Everyday I'm more and more proud of myself for not having kids.
Seems like that's the one thing I nailed in life.

My condolences Aza.

Postby Wb_draws » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Wb_draws

azarga wrote:[i]2230-2300: sit in front of a PC, open drawing app

I think that you need a new computer, if it takes you half hour to open the app ;)

I dont really have any routine, I just either draw and paint from imagination or draw and paint from reference. I also do some schoolism assignments in between. I see some progress in my stuff, so I guess it is working ;) The one thing I am planning to start doing soon are some personal projects. For now Ive been mostly just practicing / doing studies, and I am slowly getting bored of that.

Postby azarga » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:36 pm

azarga

Wb_draws wrote:I think that you need a new computer, if it takes you half hour to open the app

taken out of context it does sound kind of funny, haha
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Moe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:56 am

Moe

svarn wrote:Everyday I'm more and more proud of myself for not having kids.
Seems like that's the one thing I nailed in life.

My condolences Aza.

I think having kids is an amazing experience but probably not the best idea to have them when you're on your purpose. I think 20s are all about self improvement and figuring out what your passions are and trying out new stuff and 30s is hopefully when you've figured things out and ready to settle down.

Postby nooblearn » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:31 pm

nooblearn

before drawing i always take a dump and then i can focus on only art.

Postby perkexpert » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:20 pm

perkexpert

Azarga, you are not alone:

0600-730 Getting up and rdy, get kids rdy, sprint to trainstation
0730-0800 Train (here i can do some art)
0815-1630 Work
1200-1245 Running with ppl from work 7-10k. In a good week, i get in 3 runs, on a busy week none.
1600-1800 Optional second job in spring and autumn
1630-1730 or even later if we got some problems at work
1630-1730 Commute -30min timeslot for painting but often too tired
1730-2030 Coming home, preparing dinner for kids, getting them rdy to bed, reading to kids
2030-2130 Chores like cleaning kitchen
2200-2300 Free time, sometimes i do some indoorcycling or even art, but often it's just youtube or trying to get into bed early (were i fail because of youtube....one gets never smarter)

I have a big notebook/or smaller sketchpaper (spiral-binding) in toned versions i carry everywhere, and i try to sketch and or paint on a daily basis. So i do some doodles in
meetings, or if i got some waiting time in the job (systems running very slow e.g.) or if my train is late. I did resort
more to traditional media in the past months and weeks, as it's faster to get something out quickly and forces you to make decisions
On weekends i don't get much done artwise.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Inkey » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:00 am

Inkey

Hey guys! I wasn't expecting so much responses, but these were really insightful to read!
It's reassuring to hear you guys living out a life for the greater parts of your daily goings.
To my demise, I've found that doing art none stop 24hr everyday week month is... to no one surprise really unhealthy! You start to neglect your personal life,
family, friends and even your own well-being!

On another note.
Do you guys plan your practices? I feel "stuck" whenever I have blocks of free time to draw. Let's keep the conversation going!
A drawing a day keeps the evil demons at bay.
[Sketchbook] [Tumblr sketchbook] [Instagram]

Postby perkexpert » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:37 am

perkexpert

Hi Inkey,

no, i don't really plan them, although it would be wise to do so. When training for competition, you also would not "doodle" around on the race track.
I try to solve problems when doing stuff or getting some more insight in a specific themes, like watercolorpencils and mixed media drawings/paintings from life atm.
Out of couriosity: How does you 24h Art routine or general daily Routine look like on a time schedule? Are you a professional Illustrator? What do you do for a living?
Your style and grasp of forms and your characters certainly hold up to a professional level, at least in the design phase.
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby CaptainKiryu » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:57 am

CaptainKiryu

I tend to draw whatever I want---but I do it a lot and my interests are pretty limited. But I can tell over the 8 or so sketchbooks I've done in the past 5 or so years that I do change a bit. Some books you can see focused on gesture, then on proportions, then on character designs and ideas, then different decorations and finishes, etc. And regardless of these variants there was some constants---a lot of similar or same subject matter, and only about 2--3 different drawing mediums. I think I was also more focused on drawing for the satisfaction of it than trying to get some particular or perfect result. I think getting too analytical with drawing for too long of periods has always sucked the fun out of drawing and made it about as enjoyable as coding(which I do not find enjoyable at all). But I have drawn fr nearly my entire life, so I pretty much do it out of habit whenever I have a spare moment.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Art Questions and Discussion