This is a place for non-art related conversations.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby LK Crown » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:39 pm

LK Crown

Subject title: What makes someone an Intellectual?

This is the Lounge, so I want to ask something not necessarily art-related (but it could be).

What would you say makes someone an Intellectual?
What does someone need to do, to know about, to be an expert of in order to deserve the label `intellectual`?

Do you know people you would consider intellectuals,
whom and why?

Postby fi_le » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:41 pm

fi_le

So I could of course copy and paste you the dictionary defintion, but I suppose you're not looking for that at all. It's a very tricky word for me, too, I'd maybe say that an intellectual person is very knowledgable about all the different ways in which you could analyse the world?

What I mean is that an intellectual person would know more about physics than average, more about political and social science than average, more about art theory than average and so on and so on. I guess it doesn't have to do with intelligence for me, rather with like knowing a lot of the right stuff.

Maybe you could say that I think an intellectual person is a person who can walk in any given university course and have some clues about what's going on.

Very good question, I'd be interested in other opinions!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Gilligan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Gilligan

That's an interesting question. We use that word so often and so lightly, I feel like. I've heard it used as widely as to describe anyone with a college diploma. That just doesn't feel right to me.

Return to Lounge