Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby 8ronwenArt » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:54 pm

8ronwenArt

Subject title: Face anatomy help please

Hello,

I feel like I make the same basic mistakes all the time with no improvement. Could you let me know what mistakes I've made on the sketch below? I never notice until I've spent a lot of time shading and then they're really obvious and I wish I'd fixed my basic sketch beforehand.

Many thanks!

Postby Audiazif » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:55 pm

Audiazif

I think the issue is more in your process rather than specific mistakes. To me, it looks like you did the facial features first and then added everything around them. This is not a problem in and of itself but you need relate everything to everything else (i.e. proportions). It is as if you are treating things separately. Try to think of things as a whole. Maybe look into studying and adopting a construction method.

if you are just looking for specific mistakes, I'd say things are too big and blocky. The eyes are too big. I think looking at reference and measuring will help get things more proportional. The shape of the head is too large, blocky, and generic. Again, reference will help, really pay attention to the angles of things and the distances from features. Another thing is that everything is very symbolic. This sort of ties into seeing things as a whole rather than individual pieces. Try to learn what makes up the thing and how it is constructed rather than just learning the symbol.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby 8ronwenArt » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:27 am

8ronwenArt

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. You were spot on, that’s exactly how I went about sketching it (features first, treating things separately) and how I always do. I’ll make a conscious effort to stop that and to focus more on my reference.

Postby curvy-oriented » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:27 pm

curvy-oriented

try loomis method , just don't let it be a cage that hold you back when you are sketching. Trust me its fun :)

Source : my own experience

Postby Audiazif » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:33 pm

Audiazif

Don't be a slave to the reference. You will not have much fun just copying the ref and you will only learn how to get better at copying photos. Use the reference to get the basic information, like the placement of things, proportions, and lighting, but know that you can tweak things if you want or even use multiple references. Learning a construction method will help give you the freedom to improvise and change things.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!