Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:57 pm

godsi

Subject title: Ace Attorney Fanart

Any help is welcome, thank you!
GEIRU2.png

GEIRU3.png

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:48 am

Ambiguity

I think the biggest problem I have with this is you have too many broken up values. That is to say, you don't have many clear big value shapes. Instead, you have a bunch of pieces of different values scattered everywhere. In addition, you're rendering a lot of stuff as if it had the value range of metal or high gloss materials, everything almost running the full gamut of white to black.

Also, I appreciate your dedication to the color pink, but I think this is a bit overkill lol. The trick to making a color look more like that color actually isn't to add more to it, but to add something to contrast it so that it can stand out against it. Another thing to keep in mind is that highly saturated isn't the same thing as "colorful", once again this is about contrast. Contrast of value, contrast of saturation, contrast of temperature, contrast of texture; these are all your tools for making the painting more interesting.

I tried to keep some of your aesthetic in tact, but there was just a lot of things about the lighting that needed to be changed for consistencies sake, so I defaulted to my knowledge of the real planes of the face:
You have a cast shadow pointing straight down under the chin, and the under side of the ball and breasts are going into complete shadow, so I assumed you meant to make this a top down light, and I corrected for that.

Postby godsi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:09 am

godsi

Ambiguity wrote:I think the biggest problem I have with this is you have too many broken up values. That is to say, you don't have many clear big value shapes. Instead, you have a bunch of pieces of different values scattered everywhere. In addition, you're rendering a lot of stuff as if it had the value range of metal or high gloss materials, everything almost running the full gamut of white to black.

Also, I appreciate your dedication to the color pink, but I think this is a bit overkill lol. The trick to making a color look more like that color actually isn't to add more to it, but to add something to contrast it so that it can stand out against it. Another thing to keep in mind is that highly saturated isn't the same thing as "colorful", once again this is about contrast. Contrast of value, contrast of saturation, contrast of temperature, contrast of texture; these are all your tools for making the painting more interesting.

I tried to keep some of your aesthetic in tact, but there was just a lot of things about the lighting that needed to be changed for consistencies sake, so I defaulted to my knowledge of the real planes of the face:
You have a cast shadow pointing straight down under the chin, and the under side of the ball and breasts are going into complete shadow, so I assumed you meant to make this a top down light, and I corrected for that.

Thank you for the response! I understand what you mean, and I never noticed how I render skin as if it were a metal surface. (I see it even more with your corrected paint-over.) I'll need to learn how to fix that. I can also see where I've unnecessarily over-saturated colors on the hair and face. I have had an ongoing fight with my ability to show comprehensive lighting, and I see where I've made obvious mistakes on my drawing. I am more determined now than ever to fix my lighting problem. (I feel like my lighting and my colors are ruining my drawings.) Thank you for all the helpful information! I'll definitely take this into account with my next painting!

Return to Critique This!