Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby WeirdHybrid » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:20 am

WeirdHybrid

Subject title: Eir

So im making this design for my dad that he wants to use for a product, but i feel like its missing something color-wise (and/or design wise if you may have any critiques for that). Im gonna add flowers to the plant/green part, im just wondering if you guys have any opinions you'd like to share. :) (flowers will be white blue and pinkish. (Chilli Flowers, Blueberries, Magnolia, Pink silk tree and Yarrow) Its supposed to be Eir, the viking goddess of healing.
Eir.jpg

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 am

Ambiguity

If you're going for soft ambient light, you really don't need all these specular lights everywhere, even in direct light, the speculars aren't going to be so broad and show up everywhere like you have it.
I made some anatomical and perspective fixes to the face, but I mostly just flattened out your rendering values and made sure there was enough value difference overall between the materials so that they still read against each other.

Postby WeirdHybrid » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:12 am

WeirdHybrid

im not sure if im lefally allowed to post this here, but i only want the best for my dad, so doing it anyways. This is where i got to in the end, so if you dont mind critiquing this :O
Eir.png

Postby Alluffer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:44 pm

Alluffer

The painting is too bright which makes it look really alien. I recommend darkening your values overall and not go to the whitest whites. I would also deepen the shadows to create more depth.
I also think you could blur out some ares to make the face a focal point. Everything doesn't have to be so sharp, it actually makes your image hard to look at.

Only "detail" I would add to your painting would be some loose hairs. It makes the girl look more lively. They don't even have to be (or should be) in focus, just in the background to again, create more depth :D
I also think the bottom half where the girl "blends" to the background is a bit of a problem. From a product- design standpoint it's very unpractical. I would recommend a clean separation, or just a soft blur.

Here is a quick over paint:
(sorry about the weird white marks at the bottom^^'''

I hope this was helpful and good luck with this project! :D

Return to Critique This!