Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby YamiMiko » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:34 pm

YamiMiko

Subject title: A bit of egyptian flavor

I have a problem with drawing, I always end up feeling not satisfied with what I draw, so I end up redrawing same thing over and over and over and over again untill I gave up like after trying to do a basic scetch for like 6 hours and just delete it and then stop drawing for a long time... I am posting a drawing that I forced myself to finish. I personally think that it looks horrible like all of my drawings... Its just not up to my standart of what I consider decent drawing... I would like to hear what I can do to improve.

My thought process behind drawing:
- it is drawn from head without a reference.
- I wanted to draw something related to Bastet, but I ended up drawing just slightly egyptian style, because I really dont have experience drawing a lot of things that I wanted to add... So I simplified the challenge during the drawing process.
- I started from drawing the head. I like drawing anime size eyes on my characters, so I did, but I think that drawing a cosmetic eye tail does not work with anime eyes T_T I left the eye tail anyway.
- I did same to the hands, I intentionally hid both hands, because I kept on failing to draw them... The decision to add a literall curtain to hide one of the hands is horrible as the curtain looks horrible...
- I wanted to only draw an outline, but after a while it became difficult to see difference between the lines of body, hair and clothes, so I shaded them slightly differently.

Overall, it took about 3 hours for me to draw it.

Postby KeaneFox » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:54 am

KeaneFox

The frustration and feeling that your drawing is not up to your expectations. You are trying to brute force yourself into drawing good.
There is no way around it it's going to takes time and practice. Gonna have to go through one hundred drawing before you get to ones that will be satisfied with.

I just traced over it. You are on the good path, just put a little time in the fundamentals. Don't hide things like the hands/feet, face it by doing studies. Take that frustration and put it into the fundamentals.
Cest 8 ryy.jpg

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Audiazif

YamiMiko wrote:My thought process behind drawing:
- it is drawn from head without a reference.
- I wanted to draw something related to Bastet, but I ended up drawing just slightly egyptian style, because I really dont have experience drawing a lot of things that I wanted to add... So I simplified the challenge during the drawing process.
- I started from drawing the head. I like drawing anime size eyes on my characters, so I did, but I think that drawing a cosmetic eye tail does not work with anime eyes T_T I left the eye tail anyway.
- I did same to the hands, I intentionally hid both hands, because I kept on failing to draw them... The decision to add a literall curtain to hide one of the hands is horrible as the curtain looks horrible...
- I wanted to only draw an outline, but after a while it became difficult to see difference between the lines of body, hair and clothes, so I shaded them slightly differently.

It is good that you are able to see your mistakes, that is hard for some artists. I think you might be judging your work too harshly and worrying about too much. I would maybe try in the future to come up with one thing that you want to accomplish or focus on in a piece. Then judge whether or not the piece is a failure solely on that one thing. Then use the things you are still not happy with in that piece as things you would accomplish and focus on in other pieces. For example you could focus on drawing hands. Make a piece where above all else you draw the hands and make them prominent in the piece. This will give you much needed practice on hands and test your skills, giving you a better idea of what you need to focus on in your future studies and pieces.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby fleur » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:24 pm

fleur

I think under your thought processes, the top one is the most crucial: references.

There is no shame in using references! In fact I would go as far as to ALWAYS use a reference (preferably stock photo).
You don't need to trace it, it just shows you how the form of the body should look in a certain pose.

So next time you have inspiration to draw a character, I'd recommend finding a photo reference of a pose similar to what you're imagining, think about your characters facial expressions, their clothes and hair etc.
Trust me when I say, your drawings look much more dynamic and interesting when using interesting poses and facial expressions!
17-F-England

Postby YamiMiko » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:47 pm

YamiMiko

The problem is not with drawing hands themself, but drawing hands as a part of a character... I feel like its really hard to get it right when you have a perspective for your character and there are two hands that can be anywhere in relation to the body. It is like, when drawing character body, in mind I have some ideas about how big something should be, but adding hands, all of that gets thrown out the window, especially getting the grip of finger on an object... Getting the right size of a palm is not impossible, but getting a natural looking position of fingers in relation to whats happening is hard.

I would maybe try in the future to come up with one thing that you want to accomplish or focus on in a piece. Then judge whether or not the piece is a failure solely on that one thing. Then use the things you are still not happy with in that piece as things you would accomplish and focus on in other pieces. For example you could focus on drawing hands. Make a piece where above all else you draw the hands and make them prominent in the piece.

I just wanted to finish a piece, so I kept on making the task more simple for myself, removing the parts that kept on bothering me, like trying to add cat ears to the character. I wanted to make the character kind lean towards the viewer, using their right hand as a support, after failing to do though, I hid the hand behind the legs, because I wanted to finish the piece and it was bothering me... With the other hand, I wanted to make her touch her lips with index finger, soon I scratched it then tried to make her hold a big Ankh in her hand then I scratched that idea as well and just hid it behind the curtain...

It is good that you are able to see your mistakes, that is hard for some artists.

If I would point out all the mistakes and things I want to redraw(and then never finish the drawing, because I would be stuck in the loop of improving it) then it would look something like that:
Head: the jaw of character is too much forward, should be back a bit, lips and eyes should be on more paralel lines as right now they look as I wither should tilt eyes anti clockwise or lips clockwise... I feel like there is not enough mass of hair on the top of the head... I usually like how I do hair and trying to shade it ruined it making it look bad in general. The cosmetic eye tail looks unnatural, but idk how to make it better... Why did I not add blush to the cheeks?
Neck: the chain around the neck makes it look incredible wrong, I should have made the chain longer, also the position of Ankh should be changed in many ways. When I drew it, I felt like I was drawing neck too short, but it looks too long... I hid transition from neck to the shoulders behind the hair(also the hair there should have more mass), so I kinda got the transition wrong, the head does not look like it sits on the body properly.
Body: body looks a bit too small in relation to the head, the height looks kinda fine, but the width and depth are too small, considering that its supposed to be 3/4 view, she is way too thin. Clothes sit okay on the body, but, the upper part of the top looks too plain, it might be a problem with the shape of shoulders and the upper part of the skirt seems to be not obeying laws of physic, it does not look like anything is supporting it, it should probably be wrapped around much more tightly, though, that would not like ancient clothes then, I guess there should be some links between the skirt and top. Also, clothes lack any sense of material to them and there does not seem to be any light coming from anywhere. The direction of her legs and her body does not seem to much, the legs should either be rotated more towards the viewer or the body rotated away from the viewer...
Curtain: it looks absolutely silly compared to what I tried to draw, I managed to archieve the exact opposite shape aka I managed to draw everything I tried to make into a hole as a hill instead... I guess, thats how you draw hill like shape then... But well, the main problem is that it completely does not fit with the general feel of the drawing, it feels really out of place and also, keeping the linework there instead of erasing it makes it look even worse.
General pose: I started trying to draw something really nice and dynamic, but while making it more simple, I ended up making it way too plain. The fact that at the first character was supposed to be kind on the floor and then I transitioned it towards sitting on something looks a bit awkward.

So next time you have inspiration to draw a character, I'd recommend finding a photo reference of a pose similar to what you're imagining, think about your characters facial expressions, their clothes and hair etc.
Trust me when I say, your drawings look much more dynamic and interesting when using interesting poses and facial expressions!

Well, a problem that I have with using references is that: 1. finding a reference for what exactly you want to draw is incredible hard. 2. I would be comparing my drawing to something that looks much better, when there is something that my drawing is supposed to be, it makes me feel even worse about what I drew, because of the inperfect resemblance. 3. I am not really aiming for photo realistic drawing and more to draw in anime like style... also, trying to use anime art of another artistist will eventually make me feel like they suck as I will find everything wrong with their drawing as well unless they are really amazing.

So well, I tend to keep references to the area of doing studies instead of drawing something from reference.

Postby Plumbum » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm

Plumbum

I think your problem is just lack of fundamentals. The drawing you did had many error I would only expect due to lack of understanding. For drawing the body better I highly recommend you look at this video tutorial series. It should really help you in the long run. I recommend you do the exercises over and over again before continuing. If you do that you will become really good at imagination drawing. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Y9Fbw_d2ws

If you got money to spare, he has premium versions of all the videos. I have it and it is really helpful. You can find them here: http://www.proko.com/figure-drawing-fundamentals-course

When I did the course I did the exercises over and over again, as you can probably see on my sketchbook. I hope my improvement can motivate you.

Edited the horrible grammar.
Last edited by Plumbum on Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby fleur » Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:08 pm

fleur

I hope you don't take it the wrong way but I think you're looking for excuses...

1. Photo references are not hard to find... for that seated pose you've drawn it would take you a whole 10 seconds to find one by googling "girl sitting stock photo" or something similar. If you're really struggling you could take a picture of yourself and draw from that!
2. Why would you compare your drawing to a photo? It's a different medium; try to think of the photo as a tool not a piece of art!
3. Photo references are useful for any art style, I didnt mean trace it, I meant look at the poses and the form of the body! "Anime style" is highly stylised but still rooted in fundamentals. For example look quickly at this youtube video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTXixeJ19QA ): the artist comes out with a nice looking anime drawing from the photo.

It sounds like you lack a lot of confidence and I think the biggest improvement in your art will come when you accept that it's going to take time to get better. Unfortunately you don't get amazing overnight, it often takes years and if you're highly critical of yourself you may find you'll never be truly happy with your artwork.

The problems you're having are very typical of artists starting out; I've seen many people on this forum alone. I'd say if you're serious about getting better, practice a lot, try not to be too critical of yourself and take the advice that people have given you here. If you're feeling daring give drawing from reference just ONE try, please? For me? :D
17-F-England

Return to Critique This!