Start your own sketchbook thread! Finished works or works in progress, it doesn't matter, this is just for you to show the artwork you've been working on.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Friendo » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 am

Friendo

Subject title: My sketchbook ! (Friendo)

spent yesterday sitting in the park not doing anything useful, so really wanted to do something big this morning.

so here: did a 2-hour Mauro Belifiore study of his piece called 'Big Friend'. Here is a link: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/VY69Z

was a really interesting project for me. The orinal sketch I did was rly messed up proportionally, but I only noticed that after I overlaid it over the original piece.

Used a bigger brush than I normally would. It was a custom brush that I actually got from another Scyra forum user named Ehlihr. So thank u :D
2-hour version:
Untitled_Artwork-22.png
from reff.

Progress update: just rendering stuff.
IMG_1716.PNG
from reff.
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby Friendo » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Friendo

Was browsing the sketchbooks on here and open the sketchbook made by Spider for the first time. Saw this totally awesome .gif of the progress in a painting.
So tried to do a 1 hour(ish) recreation it. Had a way harder time doing this than I should have had. Mainly struggled with brushes, the brush that I got from Ehlihr made weird looking lines when trying to paint it so had 2 try something else.

really wanna get good at portraits like this one day.

(edit: small changes to the drawing)
IMG_1748.PNG
from reff.
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

Postby Kaique » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:00 am

Kaique

Hey, nice stuff! How about i be-friendo you? ; )

Postby Friendo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 pm

Friendo

Kaique wrote:Hey, nice stuff! How about i be-friendo you? ; )

tnx, never have enough friendo's, amiright?
wish I had a name-joke to post in return but I dont sorry :cry:

Postby Friendo » Tue May 08, 2018 12:25 am

Friendo

Still in exam season so don't have that much time to draw. Only did a few pages of shitty sketches but here is a study I just did.
The reff was in RAC00NIE's sketchbook. Might go back and fix it up later, so feedback welcome.
IMG_1786.PNG
from reff.

also here is a shitty 30 study of some face I saw on Artstation(sorry forgot the reff :shock:)
very messy, also eyes were way to bright imo.
IMG_1785.jpg
from reff

edit: made this yesterday right after posting, its insignificant enough to not deserve its own post. Its a quick attampt at a self portrait. I was sitting in the sun and was using a widows as mirror. still a WIP.
IMG_1796-1.jpg
from reff.

Postby Friendo » Thu May 10, 2018 1:38 am

Friendo

another study, imo I used better values than before.
Gonna try to finish it tomorrow. (idk why, but the file looks alot darker on this forum than it does on my pc...)
IMG_1811.PNG
From reff.

also did one of these for the firs time. was pretty fun and intersting so might do way more next time.
Untitled_Artwork 4.png
no reff.

Postby cicakkia » Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 am

cicakkia

Great value study. you should do more of these, it will help a lot :)

Postby Friendo » Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm

Friendo

cicakkia wrote:Great value study. you should do more of these, it will help a lot :)
idk whether ur talking about the thumnail or the actual paintings, but either way tnx. :D

did a few more of those thumbnails, even though I actually should learn for exams :?

some feedback I got on 4chan about the left top drawing:
In the upper left one, the columns lead the eye from the front to the back but it doesn't really land anywhere interesting. The closest column in combination with the rock splits the composition in two without an obvious purpose.

edit: again the darks are alot darker when I post them on here idk why, but u cant really see the bottom left one :(
IMG_1822.jpg
no reff.

Postby Friendo » Thu May 17, 2018 6:30 pm

Friendo

almost done with the exams for this season, then I can try to focus more on drawing and stuff.
tried doing the 'draw this again' meme, and this is the result:
IMG_1831.PNG

Personally kinda like the result, wish I knew how to make it look more finished tho.

was also pondering if I should have added a light sourse from the front so it would look more like the original.

edit: wanted to try something. I think it looks pretty dope. :)
GIF1.gif

Postby geryes » Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm

geryes

That is some really good progress in just under a year! Keep it up!

I like the gif. i think there could be a more of a gradual fade in and out with the effect as it kind of comes and goes really fast. I like the concept though :) . Keep trying new stuff with it.

There is an artist who does illustration gif with legend of zelda. You may have seen it and if not i hope it inspires you ( see below). :) Keep up the great work!

Spoiler: show
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Friendo » Thu May 17, 2018 11:28 pm

Friendo

tnx geryes, that zelda gif is awesome, very inspirational. and for my gif, I think im gonna try stuff like that out, the gif part adds a whole other dimension to drawing, very exiting :)

some imagination sketches I did during class today. imo the anatomy looks wonky.
IMG_1843.PNG
no reff.

Postby Friendo » Mon May 21, 2018 1:43 pm

Friendo

Started reading Michael Hampton's 'Figure Drawing: Design and Invention', I'm a few pages in atm.

first chapter is about gesture and stuff, so tried to draw some gestures, but then i realized I can't draw them with only my wrist.
watched a Proko video about drawing from the shoulder and did some exercises, then tried doing these gestures using an overhand grip.

Feedback is appreciated! :)
the sqauting girl is a copy of a Hampton reference.
IMG_1858.PNG

edit: Did some more today, the top 6 are me trying to capture my classmates at school and the bottem two are from imagination(dislike those).
Some of these went pretty well, especially like the middle two and the bottom right one(he was doing the H3H3 dance).
1526991889754.jpg

Postby Friendo » Wed May 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Friendo

didnt have that many lessons today so decided to just draw some doodles.
IK they are fundamentally pretty lacking, but they were fun to make so who cares :)

this one isnt that appealing to me, idk why.
IMG_1874.JPG
reff for the painting.

was trying to do more value+saturation changes here. dont like the eye and nose area, but I like the bird and the cactus :)
IMG_1877.jpg
no reff.

wanted to make a profile pic that represented me and my values more, this is the result:
IMG_1887.jpg
memory reff

Postby Friendo » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 pm

Friendo

reading some Sin City so trying to work with ink I guess. used a brush-pen and a normal brush.

(edit: scanned and added some more
IMG_1964.JPG
2 sin city studies and the rest is imagination
Last edited by Friendo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Friendo » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:40 pm

Friendo

did a study from a pic I found in my room. It was from a book about painting faces.
Untitled_Artwork 8.png
Last edited by Friendo on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby geryes » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm

geryes

Dat glorious beard :D}}
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Friendo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Friendo

Legendary beard imo.
IMG_1944.PNG

some sketches during school time.

did these outside trying to draw the area around school. but then it rained so I went inside and did the bottom right drawings.
IMG_1963.JPG
all from reff, except bottom right ones

above one was on fancy paper and I was trying to draw pretty thoughtfully but it made me want to do loose less thought out drawings.
so did these during philosophy class:
IMG_1962.JPG
no reff.

Postby sanguine » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:43 pm

sanguine

Great work, these newest sketches show some nice improvement. Love the sketchbook, post more!!:)

Postby Friendo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:43 pm

Friendo

sanguine wrote:Great work, these newest sketches show some nice improvement. Love the sketchbook, post more!!:)

tnx Sanguine, that means a lot coming from someone like u :). I'm almost done with my school year which will hopefully motive me to draw much more.

watched this video from Sinix about graffiti: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vnFdYksnqo. very interesting doing these, also very fun so def gonna try and do more of these :))

edit: Forgot a N in my name, dyslexia ;-;
Fixed it, but I feel like the fixed version looks less appealing
IMG_1989.jpg

Postby geryes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:13 pm

geryes

Looking slick! I liked the video and may try it myself sometime too.

Also, I feel that dyslexic pain bro. I've done the same with my own name while learning calligraphy XD.

Keep up the great work!
I too mainly draw girls.
Sketchbook
Deviantart

Postby Friendo » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Friendo

geryes wrote:Keep up the great work!

I hope to do so :)

tried drawing my brother using a pic of him. This was a 1-hour(ish) study.

kinda reminds me of the gta art style
Fokke.jpg
from reff

Postby Friendo » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 pm

Friendo

been drawing a lot lately, mainly using pen on paper. I'm gonna try to scan some of the highlights soon.

also I tried drawing this couch 3 time during classes.

first one was done during match class. looking back at it, I didnt pay much attention to the couch and tables shape and size.
IMG_2147.jpg
first drawing, with reff.

with this drawing I dont remember what lesson it was but I do remember that this was a pretty quick drawing, maybe around 1 hour.
IMG_2146.jpg
second drawing, with reff.

this last one I made during math & presentation class. This one was the most thought out drawing of the bunch.
the girl is the left is the same as the girl in the middle from the second image and the guy to the right is the same as the first image.
IMG_2150.jpg
last drawing, with reff

Postby Friendo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:44 am

Friendo

tried drawing a fried of mine for his b-day.

he was pretty happy with it :)

however its not finished and it all looks kinda bland.
1529775307379.jpg
photo reff.

Postby Friendo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:51 pm

Friendo

Haven't posted for a while, mainly because I barely draw anything noteworthy but also since I have my last exams monday.

anyway made this WIP today(when I should have been studying). Its gonna be a surprise for my girlfriend, so please dont anybody tell her :shock: !

values are kinda off still i think, mainly her hair. Also need to find a good background/wash.
IMG_2345.jpg
photo ref.

Postby Friendo » Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Friendo

another going away gift, for a friend this time.

its a pretty flawed painting but idk how i'd fix it. gonna give this, the last painting and one I have yet to make next Thursday as a good bye to my school.
IMG_2498.jpg
photo reff.

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbook