Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Sarathi » Tue May 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Sarathi

Subject title: Please Critic this

One of my Character Practice
03_Character_04_a.jpg

Postby fi_le » Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 pm

fi_le

Well, it would be nice if you gave a little more background info on what you tried to do here...

Hmmm, I think this is actually kind of above my own level, so I have only one piece of commentary, sort of from the point of view of a standard observer: Remove the texture! Your design is quite simplistic and it's really clashing with the fancy texture work - use bigger value planes, for example on the helmet! (On the gun it sort of works though.)

Hope I could help you :)
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Josephcow » Thu May 10, 2018 12:52 am

Josephcow

the thing I notice most is that the places where you use the airbrush look kind of murky. Since everything else is cel shaded. I also agree about the texture on the armour. The spatters on the arms and elsewhere look pretty good, it's just the texture overlay doesn't fit with cel shading as well.

I like the drawing though! Very nicely done.

Postby Sarathi » Thu May 10, 2018 2:37 pm

Sarathi

fi_le wrote:Well, it would be nice if you gave a little more background info on what you tried to do here...

Hmmm, I think this is actually kind of above my own level, so I have only one piece of commentary, sort of from the point of view of a standard observer: Remove the texture! Your design is quite simplistic and it's really clashing with the fancy texture work - use bigger value planes, for example on the helmet! (On the gun it sort of works though.)

Hope I could help you :)

Thank you so much for your valuable time.
* in future I'll try consistent in my style. ( Like avoiding or using textures in proper places )
* and I'll concentrate on showing forms in proper values.

Postby Sarathi » Thu May 10, 2018 2:40 pm

Sarathi

Josephcow wrote:the thing I notice most is that the places where you use the airbrush look kind of murky. Since everything else is cel shaded. I also agree about the texture on the armour. The spatters on the arms and elsewhere look pretty good, it's just the texture overlay doesn't fit with cel shading as well.

I like the drawing though! Very nicely done.

Thank you for the encouraging words and critics.
yes. I'll try clean shell shading without over use of spraying textures.

Postby Uzaydogan » Tue May 15, 2018 9:33 am

Uzaydogan

I think its pretty good! One critique might be that you add more contrast and more drastic changes between values in the armor, metal behaves like that. If I had time I would try a paintover but not right now mate :( Keep up the good work!

Postby CaptainKiryu » Wed May 16, 2018 5:04 am

CaptainKiryu

I think my main problem with this design is the gun in combination with medieval armor/weaponry and the bandages around their wrists/forearms. Those elements don't make a lot of sense and don't really fit well into the overall period theme you've got going on. If you are trying to do some sort of period/genre fusion it is not working with this current design.

Of course this is a highly subjective critique that you may feel free to ignore if you don't feel like it's helpful to you.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Postby Sarathi » Wed May 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Sarathi

Uzaydogan wrote:I think its pretty good! One critique might be that you add more contrast and more drastic changes between values in the armor, metal behaves like that. If I had time I would try a paintover but not right now mate :( Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much for the critique. while coloring I'll concentrate on materials. :)

Postby Sarathi » Wed May 16, 2018 2:57 pm

Sarathi

CaptainKiryu wrote:I think my main problem with this design is the gun in combination with medieval armor/weaponry and the bandages around their wrists/forearms. Those elements don't make a lot of sense and don't really fit well into the overall period theme you've got going on. If you are trying to do some sort of period/genre fusion it is not working with this current design.

Of course this is a highly subjective critique that you may feel free to ignore if you don't feel like it's helpful to you.

I didn't research enough. :D I'll do more in future. Thank you for your thoughts.

Postby Uzaydogan » Wed May 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Uzaydogan

Hey friend, I finally did(tried at least) a paintover for the armor. What I did is a little bit unsuitable for your cell shading style, but you can try to paint like this with more controlled way to suit your paintings. Good luck

Edit: I know helmet texture is off, but you get the idea. Too lazy to fix it now. :D
paintover uzay.jpg

Postby Uzaydogan » Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 am

Uzaydogan

One more thing, try to emphasize your elements of design like that gun or the rock morning star. You can do that by making their silhouettes stick out.

Return to Critique This!