Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Sinnbad23 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 am

Sinnbad23

Subject title: What is hand-eye coordination exactly?

Hi im starting to learn how to draw! and i might have a really stupid question but
What exactly is hand-eye coordination in terms of art?

I vaguely understand what hand-eye coordination is...but in art would it be the ability to lets say, look at a shape and be able to draw the correct direction,length and curvature of a line? (Basically drawing it exactly as you see it)

I try to look at what im drawing closely but my hand doesnt draw the exact line or shape and its a problem ive been having for quite a while and im not sure how to practice and make it better

I have an example of what im talking about.
The darker purple line is my attempt at trying to copy the finger shape and im mostly looking at the reference and not at what im drawing but it still didnt turn out looking right...like my eyes can see the image but my hand doesnt follow it exactly. Advice would be greatly helpful! :D

Postby Ambiguity » Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 am

Ambiguity

Hand-eye coordinated is how synced up your hand and your eye are. In art, putting the line where you want it is partially dependent on this. You're probably not going to get this perfect without a lot of guides and repetition though, so don't sweat the small things. It's like playing an FPS video game, you can train your hand-eye coordination to always hit the target, but pin point accuracy is not always guaranteed.

Postby Audiazif » Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 pm

Audiazif

Hand-eye is more the physical aspect of drawing. It is being able to control your hand to do what you tell it to do. Being able to draw exactly what you see has more to do with how well you can interpret what you see, then using your hand-eye coordination to put what you interpret on the canvas. Knowing how to measure and compare will help with how you interpret things.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Sinnbad23 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:01 am

Sinnbad23

Ambiguity wrote:Hand-eye coordinated is how synced up your hand and your eye are. In art, putting the line where you want it is partially dependent on this. You're probably not going to get this perfect without a lot of guides and repetition though, so don't sweat the small things. It's like playing an FPS video game, you can train your hand-eye coordination to always hit the target, but pin point accuracy is not always guaranteed.
I think i understand what you are trying to say! The game analogy help a lot actually :D are there any things i can do to help get better at being more accurate?

Postby Sinnbad23 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:02 am

Sinnbad23

Audiazif wrote:Hand-eye is more the physical aspect of drawing. It is being able to control your hand to do what you tell it to do. Being able to draw exactly what you see has more to do with how well you can interpret what you see, then using your hand-eye coordination to put what you interpret on the canvas. Knowing how to measure and compare will help with how you interpret things.
Im sorry about this but i still dont quite understand the bit about "control your hand to do what you tell it to do"

For example would it be something like making ur hand draw at a certain angle you see? if i practice measuring and comparing would my hand-eye corddination also get better as a result? :o

Postby Plumbum » Sun May 20, 2018 8:51 am

Plumbum

I hate just posting a link, but this has helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84
We have DID (the thing Sycra has).

Quick summary of forum writers:
Artist: she is mainly the one who draws.
Writer: he is usually the one who writes on the forum.
Lawyer: he studies everything, honestly.
Real names are private.

Sketchbook: http://www.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14540

Postby Sinnbad23 » Mon May 21, 2018 2:52 am

Sinnbad23

Plumbum wrote:I hate just posting a link, but this has helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84

Thank you! This video helped a lot and i will try to learn some of these techniques =D

Return to Art Questions and Discussion