Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Ajumani » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 am

Ajumani

Subject title: quick questions about blind contour drawing!

I've been trying to do blind contour drawing and its been pretty difficult actually and i have no good idea about how to track if im actually improving or not. I have a few quick questions about it and any tips/advice would be very helpful and appriciate!

1. Since im usually holding my hand or object slightly close to my face (otherwise i cant see properly) i sometimes get blurred vision or double vision. Is there any advice on how to prevent this? because it makes me lose my track a lot of the time of where I looking. Is closing one eye something I can do while blind contouring?

2. I sometimes feel like my eyes are moving too fast and my pencil is too slow or vice versa (pencil moving too fast and eyes not catching up) is there any tips on how to prevent this?

3. Would it be better to practice 5 minutes a day with a lot of blind contour drawings or have less but longer sessions (10-20 minutes

Thanks again so much for answering! :D

Postby azarga » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 am

azarga

1. If you have to hold it close to see details due to weak eyesight - wear appropriate glasses. In all other cases - close one eye.

2. Force yourself to slow down, remove all distractions like music.

3. Doesn't matter, try both and use one that allows you to remain focused throughout the process (use point 2 as a general measurement - if you desynced - you've lost focus).
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby Ajumani » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:20 pm

Ajumani

azarga wrote:1. If you have to hold it close to see details due to weak eyesight - wear appropriate glasses. In all other cases - close one eye.

2. Force yourself to slow down, remove all distractions like music.

3. Doesn't matter, try both and use one that allows you to remain focused throughout the process (use point 2 as a general measurement - if you desynced - you've lost focus).

Thank so much for the tips! When i say im holding it close its mostly at arms length but just a bit shorter is that still too close?
Im not exactly sure how far I should hold the object away from me but closing one eye seems to help with the whole
Blurry vision thing

Postby azarga » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm

azarga

Ajumani wrote:
Thank so much for the tips! When i say im holding it close its mostly at arms length but just a bit shorter is that still too close?
Im not exactly sure how far I should hold the object away from me but closing one eye seems to help with the whole
Blurry vision thing

Oh, arm's length is fine. I guessed if maybe your vision is as bad as mine and you see objects as a blurry blob unless they are right under your nose, lol.

The point of that exercise is to teach your brain to turn off importance bias when processing visual signal it receives, to process picture as a whole and with respect of actual proportions.

Naturally our brain differentiates level of detail on parts of objects according to importance, which leads to overblown perceived size of some parts compared to others. For example, people unaware of this natural bias often draw human head with huge face and tiny cranium, figures eith huge heads and hands etc.
It doesn't really matter how detailed you get in your exercise, point is to learn to capture actual proportional relationship between parts of object.

So in your case closing one eye should do the trick.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion