Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Crichquol » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:05 am

Crichquol

Subject title: My Bear is My Wall

I made this drawing back in 2015, a year out of high school and it is the best thing I've ever drawn. I have not made anything better since then and I'm in an artist block that I will never draw anything on par to this again. It's not even an excellent piece but it's like I've built myself my own shadow...
Please critique this thing to pieces. I want to know what's on point and what fell apart. I want to improve.
http://crichquol.deviantart.com/art/Scarybear-578990021

Postby fi_le » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 pm

fi_le

Hi Crichquol!

I do understand your reasoning behind posting your best work, even if it's from three years ago, but I don't think this is what you want to do if you wld like to improve your art.

Posting something recent is good, because you know exactly what you had in mind when drawing and give us an explanation on that.

Also, and most importantly, holding up a certain piece that you really like and whose creation is a few years ago isn't really suited for the point you're at right now, because in the earlier stages it's good advice to be very process-oriented (as opposed to being result-oriented).
Practice a lot and post it in your sketchbook thread, as you already do, and if you have a specific question or if you're working on something right now and can't figure it out, come here again.
Good Luck :)

By the way, other people on here are way more knowledgeble than I am, so if you're reading this and you are one of those people, feel free to express any disagreement you feel.
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Audiazif » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Audiazif

I think fi_le pretty much nailed it. This drawing is not a representation of where your art is now and that your putting this drawing on a pedestal is hindering your progress. It is fine to be proud of your work but not to the point that you are unable to let go and move on. I also agree that finding a repeatable process will help because when you make a piece you like there is more of a chance that you can recreate the same success in another piece. Without a process you are blindly firing toward a target, some shots will hit, possibly close to the mark, but others will more than likely completely miss the target. With a process you are able to consistently hit the target and continually hone your aim to get closer and closer to the mark.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Return to Critique This!