Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

 

Postby Friendo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:44 pm

User avatar
  Friendo
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm
Location: Netherlands

Subject title: bls help with shadows and boxes

Hello everyone! I've been trying to wrap my head around shadows and perspective and stuff.

Saw this pic a while back about a how to draw shadow on boxes wanted to try it for myself, since it felt kinda comprehensible.(found a site with the whole series of pics: http://www.architecturerevived.com/shad ... technique/ )
shadow 8- Raised object.jpg
the reff.

But I kinda got stuck with when the boxes fly, for some reason the boxes never feel accurate, the shadow always looks odd.(made a few)

With this one the red line is supposed to be wrong, but it felt like the only one that made sense.
Untitled_Artwork-16.png
1st


second attempt the shape still feels unnatural
IMG_1383.jpg
2nd


last attempt, still looks weird.
IMG_1386.PNG
3rd


I've posted these on 4chan and got a few explenations send my way, kept these in mind with my last two attempt, but I still cant seem to get my head around it.

Started reading Perspective Made Easy, help it hopes.

help bls.
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

 

Postby goago » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:00 pm

  goago
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

To me, your shadow shapes look fine. (I am no expert, i could be wrong tho)
The shadow shapes might look a bit unnatural and dramatic to you, because the way you lit the objects and projected the shadows is via local light, like for example a candle. You get these dramatic shadows, when the lightsource is very close to the object. If you would light your shapes with the sun, the lines Running through the verticals would be nearly parallel (they would still be distorted by perspective though)
Hope this helps and have a nice day! :)
(in the first example the red line actually is off, the blue one looks correct to me)

 

Postby goago » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:04 pm

  goago
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:03 pm

What also makes them look a bit weird, is the fact, that your perspective vanishing points are very close together, resulting in a very high level of distortion the closer you get to the camera. This way your shadow shapes also get very distorted.
With a normal camera, or even the human eye, you are not able to see things at such wide angles, it is only possible with a fisheye lense, resulting in cuvelinear perspective (which i dont understand myself)

 

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:52 am

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

This isn't easy to explain in a comment, but you've gone way outside a 60 degree cone of vision, which is why you're getting so much distortion. An easy fix to do without drawing the CoV would be to keep your cubes as close to the horizon line and possible, and only have it close to 1 of the VPs, never both.

I went ahead and did a draw over of your last image, but with the proper CoV:
Image
If you flip between them, you can see just how wide a camera lens you would need to capture what you drew. In hindsight, I should have made that vanishing trace as tall as you had it so that the cube overlapped the shadow like in yours. It would have really helped to get the sense that the cube is floating.

 

Postby Friendo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 am

User avatar
  Friendo
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm
Location: Netherlands

goago wrote:To me, your shadow shapes look fine. (I am no expert, i could be wrong tho)
The shadow shapes might look a bit unnatural and dramatic to you, because the way you lit the objects and projected the shadows is via local light, like for example a candle. You get these dramatic shadows, when the lightsource is very close to the object. If you would light your shapes with the sun, the lines Running through the verticals would be nearly parallel (they would still be distorted by perspective though)
Hope this helps and have a nice day! :)
(in the first example the red line actually is off, the blue one looks correct to me)
goago wrote:What also makes them look a bit weird, is the fact, that your perspective vanishing points are very close together, resulting in a very high level of distortion the closer you get to the camera. This way your shadow shapes also get very distorted.
With a normal camera, or even the human eye, you are not able to see things at such wide angles, it is only possible with a fisheye lense, resulting in cuvelinear perspective (which i dont understand myself)


Tnx for the advise Goago. I already noticed that shapes look odd in my perspective drawing but never knew why. I should have probable started with a more basic perspective exercise.

Nice to know that my shadows aren't totally messed up. :D

Ambiguity wrote:This isn't easy to explain in a comment, but you've gone way outside a 60 degree cone of vision, which is why you're getting so much distortion. An easy fix to do without drawing the CoV would be to keep your cubes as close to the horizon line and possible, and only have it close to 1 of the VPs, never both.

I went ahead and did a draw over of your last image, but with the proper CoV:
Image
If you flip between them, you can see just how wide a camera lens you would need to capture what you drew. In hindsight, I should have made that vanishing trace as tall as you had it so that the cube overlapped the shadow like in yours. It would have really helped to get the sense that the cube is floating.


Holy shit dawg, this amazing advise. Just started reading perspective made easy, hopefully Norling touches upon stuff like the Cone of Vision. Good to know why most of my box drawings looks so distorted.

I really appreciate the advise Ambiguity and Goago, u guy are saint! :)
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120

 

Postby Ambiguity » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 am

User avatar
  Ambiguity
Posts: 5524
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 am
Location: Your dreams

I don't know that Norling does, but I know Scott Robertson does in his how to draw book. This guy also touches on it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orI-eYOPys
He gets to it at around 1:37:00

 

Postby Friendo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

User avatar
  Friendo
Posts: 129
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:06 pm
Location: Netherlands

Ambiguity wrote:I don't know that Norling does, but I know Scott Robertson does in his how to draw book. This guy also touches on it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5orI-eYOPys
He gets to it at around 1:37:00

Can't find a pdf on How to Draw, but I'll try to find a way to get it. Alot of anon's on 4chan also told me to get it.

only watched the part of the video about the cone, but it looks dope and very informative, tnx again dawg :)

also tried again with the box, this time alot less distortion.
IMG_1389.jpg
17yr old, self taught Sinix clone, also student living in the Netherlands . sketch book!: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=99281&start=120


Return to Critique This!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron