Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby Alpacamood » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:14 am

Alpacamood

Subject title: Discussion on art burnout and creativity

I've been feeling that my art has become stale lately and I thought it would be interesting to hear other people's solutions and ideas for staying creative and keeping things interesting!

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm

DarkLored123

I have been going through burnout for the past couple of weeks and it has been probably the worst case of burnout that I've had thus far, and the reason for that is because I didn't take a break. When you feel burnt out it is a good indicator that you've reached your limit, like how when you exercise your muscles eventually give out after they reached their limit when doing a lot of repetitions. I recommend you take a 2-3 day break if you are going through one, because if you do not let yourself rest then it'll simply compound overtime. As for ideas, taking breaks usually also allows your mind to get refreshed which allows more ideas to flow.

Postby azarga » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 am

azarga

For me burnout is just as alien as "being in the zone", "flow" and "passion" things are.
Monitoring this thread for maybe some hints of how to achieve those alchemical states.
Please check my stuff here:
My dA, it is pretty bad.

Postby fi_le » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:53 pm

fi_le

Hi!
As someone who draws for fun I don't have to deal with this issue as much, but I still heard a tip or two for being more creative:

Most people advise you to change your medium. From digital to traditional, from acrylic to oil, from drawing to sculpting,.... the possiblities really are endless, so if you've been wanting to try out something specific anyways, the time's come when you lose creativity for sure. Has worked for me so far!

There are tons of other advice, but this is what prooved to be most helpul to me, I hope it helps you, too!
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Audiazif » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:44 pm

Audiazif

I second what fi_le said. Changing media could help. Or even changing up your process might help, for example if you work with lines in the beginning maybe work with blocks or shapes of value instead. I find that changing things up also gives me a different perspective on things and that sometimes helps when I come back to my comfort zone.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:34 am

Snakebreath

I've felt burnout the last year. It's really weird, when I was brand new and my art was garbage I was super motivated and had all the creative energy in the world, now that I can actually draw/paint half decent I can't be bothered to finish 90% of the stuff I start because I don't feel like it'll be good enough to spend the time on. If you find a solution let me know. :?

Postby Ionflux » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:53 pm

Ionflux

Learn something new! If you don't know what to learn, find stuff you like and pick an aspect of that and do studies. Or start a slightly ambitious art project and figure out what you need to learn in order to reach your goal.

I used to suggest taking a break, but I found the solution above is more effective and doesn't interfere with the goal of improving nearly as much. :)
»The multiverse doesn't make sense, and it ain't supposed to.«
SketchbookDeviantArtArtStationInstagramFacebook

Return to Art Questions and Discussion