Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:13 pm

DarkLored123

Subject title: Color Choice & Shading Critique

Hello,

So I've been experimenting a lot lately with colors and trying to figure out how they work together, since I am not well versed with transitions of values and values themselves I couldn't manage to do painting so I decided to go with cell shading instead. My main concern are the colors themselves especially the colors in the lineart, coloring lines is something completely new and I tried applying the darkest colors to the lines as far as that goes.

Also shading, I am more concerned with whether the light source is actually being followed or not, I left out a lot of shadows to simplify and to create appeal, but if there are mistakes please inform me one what I can do better next time.

Thank you,
DarkLored

Postby Josephcow » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

Josephcow

It's not bad, but I just want to point out that the same logic that goes into the construction of your body, applies to the shadows which travel along the form.
The arm and sleeve area are cylinders. So is the band, it's not a flat shape. If you know how to light a cylinder then you know how to light this arm.
Notice the bottom plane of the sleeve. The light can't touch something not facing it. Also notice the shadow on the arm bracelet. When you draw a shadow going right across something that has form without change, you break its form.

This is the function of still life in our studies. I'm not going to paint over it more because my tablet is malfunctioning (that's also why my painting is so wobbly lol :/) but I hope you see the point.

Nice job on the face and the colors though! Looks really nice.
jbV23PIS.png

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:55 pm

DarkLored123

Thank you for the critique, I see your point with the shadows, I was so focused on the direction of the light that I neglected the forms when I shaded, and this will be a good reference for the future.

Postby CaptainKiryu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:35 am

CaptainKiryu

Similarly, to the other critique I wrote---I thought most of your shading problems were coming from unclear forms. Cell shading in particular will really show your weaknesses if you don't have a good idea with how the shadows wrap around the complex shapes making up the body. So I'd focus on drawing first---finish later. (Of course you can just keep going as you are and will still probably improve eventually anyway---it'll just be less focused)

You are on your way, I just noticed that around certain areas---mainly from the waist down---you were missing some useful parts. So for my draw-over, I broke the body up sort of like a doll and added pieces for the hips and knee-caps that sort of help with making sense of the articulations of the larger leg bones. I tried my best to keep my edits within the proportions you favor, but I didn't do a perfect job. I also added a clear centerline to help better understand the individual forms and the way they flow together as well.

Scanned at 7-22-2003 0-16 AM.jpg

Scanned at 7-22-2003 0-16 AM (2).jpg

Again, these suggestions are just that---suggestions. You can ignore what I've said, or pick out a few things you think would be useful and scrap the rest. Keep moving forward.
I post art to these places
Twitter: https://twitter.com/captain_kiryu
Deviantart: https://captain-kiryu.deviantart.com/
Tumblr: http://captainkiryusart.tumblr.com/

Return to Critique This!