Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Mariq » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:40 am

Mariq

Subject title: Portrait Critique

Hey everyone! I’m new here and would like to get some feedback on this piece. I would like to know if there’s some issue that I’m not seeing such as the anatomy of the face, values etc., any help would be much appreciated!
SycraForumCritique-2.png

Postby DrawingGuy31 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

DrawingGuy31

Ok, so I drew over the image to show you what can be improved. First of all, the values can use more contrast. The picture looks very midtone-ish on your side and is a little bit boring and drab. Some darker and lighter tones should be used. You used the lightest value exclusively for an outline, which makes the image look more flat. A darker background makes the lighter tones on her pop out much more vividly, and putting the dark and light next to each other makes the image pop more. One thing, in particular, is her iris'. In the original image, there was a generic white ball in the center which makes the image feel even flatter. The goal should not be clearly constructed lines, outlines or divides between values in a realistic portrait, that only makes the image feel flat. Instead, the world, lights, and structures should all feel as if they're affecting each other.

Postby Mariq » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:03 am

Mariq

Thank you for the criticism! I haven’t kept in mind of how the placement of the character and the environment they’re in can change and affect the lighting. I’ve also noticed that I mindlessly use the lightest value for outlines. I’ll keep in mind of the others that you’ve noted as well.

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 am

Bugpal Hopeday

I don't have much to add, just wanted to say that's a really solid painting and also a really solid critique. Just makes me happy to be here. 8-)
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Return to Critique This!