Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DRaff210 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:59 am

DRaff210

Subject title: Character Design - Forest Monster

Full-body character illustrations are still frustratingly difficult for me, and I recently finished what I consider to be one of my few successful attempts. I tried changing up my painting process a bit for this character, and I think I'm finding it more comfortable than what I've been doing. Essentially, I layered blocks of color on top of each other using Opacity instead of relying of Transfer to use pen pressure to paint. I also let myself use adjustment layers to achieve my colors, and I used a slightly larger variety of brushes.

Please let me know what you think about the anatomy, colors, design, and anything else you can think of. (I guess one specific thing I struggled with is striking a balance between making him look strong/powerful and fat/pudgy in the belly area.) I'm really interested in knowing what I can do to improve. Thanks so much!

roscoe.png

Postby Fantelle » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:33 am

Fantelle

Lovely character ! I really like the colors and textures. My main issue with this is the pose, it tells us nothing about the character and generally looks a bit uncomfortable.

Here are some examples of how pose can be used to strengthen the idea:

Spoiler: show
    ImageImageImageImage

The illustration you made is a great start, and doesn't have to be thrown away. You simply take it as an initial concept and make another illustration really strengthening the features of your character. Maybe including a bit of environment to show where the creature lives, or showing the character interacting with something to display movement and characteristics. Here are some examples of that:

Spoiler: show
    ImageImageImage

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 am

DRaff210

Thanks so much for the reply! (Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.) I can totally see what you mean about the pose telling us nothing about him, and it was only after I'd gone back and touched up the character that I really saw what you meant about the pose being uncomfortable. I didn't want to add an environment or have him doing any sort of specific action because I wanted to focus on his design and not have to worry too much about extraneous elements, but maybe that's just a lame excuse. :lol: I'll definitely try to explore things like character and environment in future pieces that aren't just practice studies, essentially. Here's the touched-up version I mentioned - it doesn't solve everything you addressed, but hopefully there's some noticeable improvement. :)

sylvan - oak2.png

Return to Critique This!