Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Markdawg » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:02 am

Markdawg

Subject title: Concept art improvement (various characters)

I created this character many years ago. I want to add more. I want some ideas on how to improve. I also want to know what seems off with the position. I'll have more art coming about him. He has a dense body, hightened vision, can see at night, and is great at combat. He is a military experiment that was complete. His job is to catch escaped experiments with his aid, Layla. I haven't thought of a name for him yet. Here is a bit about more on his backstory. He was a high ranking member of the Mexican military, then got brainwashed once a nuclear breakout ocurred, eliminating the westcoast.
http://feed1.tinypic.com/rss.php?u=eEH3 ... BoKw%3D%3D

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/14jrqee.jpg[/img

]
Last edited by Markdawg on Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Postby Alluffer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:03 pm

Alluffer

The link to the picture isn't valid. Try uploading it to imgur (https://m.imgur.com) or tinypic (http://tinypic.com) so others can see your work :)

Postby Markdawg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:45 am

Markdawg

Alluffer wrote:The link to the picture isn't valid. Try uploading it to imgur (https://m.imgur.com) or tinypic (http://tinypic.com) so others can see your work :)

I will do that. Thanks!

Postby Alluffer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Alluffer

The major problems are in the proportions. The other eye is way too big and the ear is small and too far down.

I would recommend you to watch some videos about these problems. Istebrak has a great video on drawing the 3/4 view that I think would be useful to you :) -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQfY2XnHBG8

I encourage you to keep drawing, studying and keep on world building! Hopefully this is even a bit helpful ^^

Postby Markdawg » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Markdawg

Awesome thanks!

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:39 am

Markdawg

That video was awesome! It really helped out. My issue is also coming from the ear. What looks wrong with the ear to you, or what else?

Postby Alluffer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:11 am

Alluffer

Markdawg wrote:That video was awesome! It really helped out. My issue is also coming from the ear. What looks wrong with the ear to you, or what else?

Here are the two main things I would point out:

Image Males have a more defined jawline which in your images is running low. By lifting the ear you have more space for the jaw. Other one is the placement of the tip of the ear. It should usually line up with the brow bone (maybe not perfectly, but close to it)

Here is a little paint over demonstration:

I'm glad that the video helped you and hope this is also useful! :D

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:10 am

Markdawg

I just saw this comment. Thanks. So this is before I saw this post.

Better or worse? I think it looks a little better. I,m still going to fix the jaw line.

Postby Alluffer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:26 am

Alluffer

Markdawg wrote:I just saw this comment. Thanks. So this is before I saw this post.

Better or worse? I think it looks a little better.

I only see difference in the ear shape, I encourage you to make the changes I mentioned before. Maybe make separate studies where you make the same face again and again (use a photo reference as a guide) and only draw the basic outlines, so no hair, cloth on the face etc.

By drawing a lot you strengthen your muscle memory and by looking at the reference you get a more accurate image in your visual library. If you can, print the reference photo you are using and measure it, even trace it and study the anatomy! Maybe borrow a human anatomy book from your local library is you have one and use that as a reference :D

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:55 am

Markdawg

I do that frequently. I'll keep on improving. Keep checking out my work! Thanks for the constructive criticism. There is also my personal style I'm trying to perfect. Kind of comic book, kind of more realistic, kind of anime. Let me know what you think of tge concepts of these characters as well. Ask me questions about them to help me build them when you see them. I want to show you one last time the changes I made. You are freakin awesome!

Postby Alluffer » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:13 pm

Alluffer

Markdawg wrote:I do that frequently. I'll keep on improving. Keep checking out my work! Thanks for the constructive criticism. There is also my personal style I'm trying to perfect. Kind of comic book, kind of more realistic, kind of anime. Let me know what you think of tge concepts of these characters as well. Ask me questions about them to help me build them when you see them. I want to show you one last time the changes I made. You are freakin awesome!

Nice work! Really looking forward to your future works and helping you along the way :D

Postby Markdawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 pm

Markdawg

Check out my latest post on another character. I made that sketch really quickly, so its really rough. Let me know what you think about his story!

Postby Markdawg » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:13 am

Markdawg

Alluffer wrote:
Markdawg wrote:I do that frequently. I'll keep on improving. Keep checking out my work! Thanks for the constructive criticism. There is also my personal style I'm trying to perfect. Kind of comic book, kind of more realistic, kind of anime. Let me know what you think of tge concepts of these characters as well. Ask me questions about them to help me build them when you see them. I want to show you one last time the changes I made. You are freakin awesome!

Nice work! Really looking forward to your future works and helping you along the way :D

Heres some more concept art!
Scene - The concept behind Scene is fear. He is working with other governments to run the world. He is money driven, and is one big mystery. Fear of the unknown is his theme. He has a lot of power over the United States, and runs his super military in secret. He is a level 10 protagonist. His two greatest military experiments were a mistake, and end up escaping him. He is trying to catch them before they uncover information about his big picture, and his plan for running the world.

I would like to see other versions of his portail. I do want him to be a heavier character in the story without playing to big of a role in the plot. I also want tips on shading so I can grow his image better. He is the man behind the scenes. He is always in darkness.

I'll have more up this week.

Fabious Kain - He is a large group leader who appears to stand for freedom. He is a level 5 protagonist in my story. Although he is not be the biggest or the scariest character in my comic, he is very smart, and manipulative. He has convinced people that he is a prophet, here to destroy evil by any means. He is fully convinced that he is the key to eternal life, but has mislead himself to his own beliefs and believes that those who do not follow him must be destroyed. He ends up being a psycho. He was inspired by The Joker, his appearance is just more deceiving.

The main characters of my story run into him and almost fall victim to his deception. I'll draw the two main characters from my story later.

This is a really rough draft of him.

Feel free to ask questions about his persona. I will have better sketches of him coming.

Vidal (Snake) - He is the man in charge of the hunt. Exelent fighter, has unlimited stamina, can fire any weapon with 100% accuracy, has an incredible learning capacity (with photographic memory), does not need sleep, knows various forms of martial arts, and is the greatest super soldier. He usually wears a black skii mask to hide his face.

Postby fi_le » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:50 am

fi_le

Hi dude! First of all, I wish you a fun journey through the world of art and a fun time on the forum.

Secondly, I wanted to help you out with the lighting of the bigwig guy that's supposed to look powerful. There are some very simple tricks in the book of cinematography to make things seem intimidating. One of these is the "bottom-up-shot" or "worm's eye-view". In the context of drawing, you just draw the character from where the camera would be in a movie.

The other trick I know would be to place the light source below the character, too. That's why the campfire scary stories are always told with a flash light under the chin. I applied these two concepts in the attached drawing; though I'm not the best at all at foreshortening and stuff, which is why it's a little bit subtle.

Thirdly, I don't know if we should say stuff about your writing, but the Vidal guy seems a bit unbalanced. This is a visual arts forum, so I suppose this isn't a good place for it...

Anyways, hope I could help you!
x279g4.jpg
...you see, it's supposed to be fi_le like the file from the computer... the one where you put the data things in.

my sketchbook on here and my Instagram

Postby Markdawg » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

Markdawg

Nice bro. You should add me on deviant art. My name is SmashDraw93

Postby Markdawg » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:09 pm

Markdawg

The SV is a gang of cannibals. They only come out at night. This guys name is Daddy, and is a scary lookin dude.They are scared of Fabious Kain. Fabious Kain hates this gang more then the others. Many of Fabious Kains men have been killed by the members of this gang. This gang is supposed to help build the world and the streets we will be dealing with. They will also help build the characters of Fabious Kain, and Cyber Hoodlum.

Return to Critique This!