Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby godsi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:24 pm

godsi

Subject title: Color & Lighting check

Hello everyone, the last critique I received helped me to be a bit more bold with adding strong lighting. I have tried it here by using a purple hue.
I am pretty proud of this one, and I don't have any specific concerns. So if you see anything I'm not noticing I would be happy to hear it!
1v22finalv2 (2).png

Postby Alluffer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:40 am

Alluffer

I think first thing I would recommend is lowering the contrast by dimming the higher values. Right now you have this "almost white" everywhere and it's taking focus away from the focal point; the face. The jewelry, clothes and even nails are a bit of an eye sore right now. For example, you don't have to paint the shirt with pure white to indicate that it is indeed white. The room has a dim lighting, so the brightness of these things doesn't make sense. You can still have that "poppy" highlight with lower values.

You also have added sharp texture on the chair, which should be less rendered while it's in the background and needs less attention. In the paint over I just went in with a blur tool and toned the texture down.

I also noticed the patchy shadows on the skin. It looks kinda odd and I don't know if it was intentional but it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the image which has a soft painting style.

Here is a black and white comparison to show the value difference. I also included a value slide to show the highest value in each picture (On yours it was the shirt, on the paint over it was the eyes' highlight).

Paint over:

Original:

Hopefully this was helpful! :)

Postby godsi » Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:11 am

godsi

Alluffer wrote:I think first thing I would recommend is lowering the contrast by dimming the higher values. Right now you have this "almost white" everywhere and it's taking focus away from the focal point; the face. The jewelry, clothes and even nails are a bit of an eye sore right now. For example, you don't have to paint the shirt with pure white to indicate that it is indeed white. The room has a dim lighting, so the brightness of these things doesn't make sense. You can still have that "poppy" highlight with lower values.

You also have added sharp texture on the chair, which should be less rendered while it's in the background and needs less attention. In the paint over I just went in with a blur tool and toned the texture down.

I also noticed the patchy shadows on the skin. It looks kinda odd and I don't know if it was intentional but it doesn't seem to fit in with the rest of the image which has a soft painting style.

Here is a black and white comparison to show the value difference. I also included a value slide to show the highest value in each picture (On yours it was the shirt, on the paint over it was the eyes' highlight).

Paint over:

Original:

Hopefully this was helpful! :)

Wow, this is really incredible! I didn't notice it at all! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to remember this in the future.

Postby Alluffer » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:21 pm

Alluffer

godsi wrote:
Wow, this is really incredible! I didn't notice it at all! Thanks so much, I'll be sure to remember this in the future.

Glad this was helpful! Looking forward to your future works ^^

Return to Critique This!