Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Alluffer » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:35 pm

Alluffer

Subject title: Teeth problem

Cutesy version of a smite character.
I need some help with the upper front teeth. They just seem wonky and no matter how much I try I just can't seem to get them right :/ Any suggestions?

Postby warm-wax » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 pm

warm-wax

I think part of your problem was that the perspective was off. The nose was a little too far to the left, and the lower jaw was too thick in areas (it looked like the jaw didn't bend at the hinge but further forward.) Personally, I think it looks more natural with more teeth of different sizes, esp if they have those bumps like crocodile jaws so the teeth are at different heights. I think that's cooler, but if it's a copy of an existing character that might not be possible haha. Also the lower jaw was a little long, so I corrected that.

I'm not great at anatomy, so I hope my corrections aren't too egregious. I really liked the rendering, especially around the eye. I don't play smite or ow or any of those sort of games, but i love the character designs and the fanart of them. It's all so good :,)

refs: 3d croc model *
croc pic

Postby Alluffer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Alluffer

warm-wax wrote:I think part of your problem was that the perspective was off. The nose was a little too far to the left, and the lower jaw was too thick in areas (it looked like the jaw didn't bend at the hinge but further forward.) Personally, I think it looks more natural with more teeth of different sizes, esp if they have those bumps like crocodile jaws so the teeth are at different heights. I think that's cooler, but if it's a copy of an existing character that might not be possible haha. Also the lower jaw was a little long, so I corrected that.

I'm not great at anatomy, so I hope my corrections aren't too egregious. I really liked the rendering, especially around the eye. I don't play smite or ow or any of those sort of games, but i love the character designs and the fanart of them. It's all so good :,)

Thank you so much! I'll make sure to correct those things (didn't even notice the problem with the jaw, so thank you for pointing that out!) ^^

Postby warm-wax » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:59 pm

warm-wax

yw :D

Postby Bugpal Hopeday » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:11 am

Bugpal Hopeday

It's a cool pic and design.

Just to expand on warm-wax's post, it's a good habit to draw parallel lines through each row of teeth, through the nostrils, through the eyes, etc. and make sure they all share a vanishing point and line up nicely.
My sketchbook. Feedback and crits welcome.

Return to Critique This!