Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby NateTheSugoi » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:52 pm

NateTheSugoi

Subject title: Thoughts?

Drew this airplane (Boeing PT-17 Stearman) with the mindset of drawing mechanical things to help with drawing like mechs and stuff eventually. I love airplanes too, especially the WWII ones so getting better at drawing them wouldn't really bother me either lol.
In any case I found that it makes for good proportion practice so I tried my best to focus on that. I based my proportions (as best as I could lol) off the top wing.
Also, I drew it in profile for the specific purpose of learning and nailing the proportions before trying to do different angles. It's how Scott Robertson teaches how to draw motorcycles in his course so figured it wouldn't be a bad way to go about it. Any other methods of doing this would be helpful though.

My drawing:

Reference:
(3D modeler credit https://sketchfab.com/models/74eec0bc379745cbba36a299bc578735)

I do know the bottom wing isn't angled back properly, but I'm not sure how to go about drawing it (Like how to go about constructing it more I guess).

Also did this free-hand as more of a sketch. I did use a circle guide for the tires just to make it look a little cleaner.
Thanks for any help!

Postby warm-wax » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:26 pm

warm-wax

It's very good! Planes are very hard to draw.

One thing to watch out for though: Make sure you aren't making curves into straight lines. The underbelly of the plane is actually a curve, but you have drawn it as a straight line. Similarly, the hood is a much less dramatic curve in the reference than the one you have drawn. I would fix this by drawing more constructively than piece-by-piece as I assume you're doing. I can't see any constructive lines/circles on your sketch, which I would definitely pick up, especially if you're going to be drawing machines. Simplify the plane into tubes and cubes and then build on that. In my mind, that's much better than working through proportions, as it gives you something to build off, rather than apply proportions to a blank sheet of paper.

Overall, though, this is a very nice sketch. It reminded me that I really ought to draw machines more. Where did you get the reference from? It's very good quality.

Postby NateTheSugoi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:47 am

NateTheSugoi

Thanks warm-wax! I'll definitely practice constructing more before going with details.

Also the reference is from a 3D modeling website I just found yesterday. Pretty awesome reference place especially cause you can move the same thing around for different angles.

https://sketchfab.com

The plane specifically is from here.

https://sketchfab.com/models/74eec0bc379745cbba36a299bc578735

Return to Critique This!