Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby nachobuddy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:58 am

nachobuddy

Subject title: Critique before coloring

Heya!

I'm redoing a drawing i made some years ago, and before I advance with coloring- I'd like some tips for how to improve it :-) I'm going to spare you from seeing the original drawing but I still feel there's something missing in this, especially details in the environment. The only thing I plan on adding is some tagging on the wall behind the women, but I feel like I could put something in front of the woman to the right to add more depth to it? Critiques on anatomy and facial structure is needed too, I want to make this as good as possible before I move on!

If it's of any help, it's a drawing of my friend and I's GTA online characters so anything that will boost the GTA vibe is good 8-)

(I do see that the woman to the right's butt and torso is too long and thighs are too short, other than that I'm empty!)

Would really appreciate any feedback/critiques!
ookyspookysmol.png

Postby Josephcow » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:39 pm

Josephcow

The head of the woman on the right seems to be turned just a bit more than feels natural. And I wonder about the space between the foreground and background. Do you need to plan what will be painted in that space, if anything?

Other than that I don't see much wrong. Nice linework!

Postby Kittycat2017 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Kittycat2017

Hi!
This looks really great so far I can't wait to see what you do with it!
I think that you could possibly extend the arm of the girl on the left. The arm that is holding that gun looks a little short maybe. Also your lines look amazing they are so clean and smooth. Keep up the good work and have a nice day! c-:

Postby nachobuddy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:40 am

nachobuddy

Yep Josephcow I'd like to add more detailed objects on the ground! So far the ideas are bulletproof vests and cans of those sodas you use to regenerate health :D

And you're both right, the woman to the left's head is angled weirdly compared to the face and her upper arm is too short. I would have pretty much overlooked that, thank you guys :D (and you too kittycat ♥)

Added a pic of minor improvements after editing head and the right womans butt a lil- does anything else need work before I start on the background? (I'm not really satisfied with the left womans eyes, the left eye seems like it's too close to the nose?) I don't mean to be nagging at too much help, but after extending the arm and shotgun, I was wondering if I should add the index finger around the handle but the fingers just look like rotten cucumbers :lol: I guess the hand anatomy isn't in full drive yet
ookyspookysmol2.png

Postby Kittycat2017 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 am

Kittycat2017

You're not nagging at all! Im glad I was able to help a little bit c:
I think the placement of the eyes is fine nothing seems out of place. I don't think that you should put one of the fingers on the shotgun handle, it seems like you might have to rework the placement of the hand to get it to fit around that part and to be honest it looks great where it is right now. If you want to do it though feel free it is your piece after all. (also I too struggle with cucumber fingers xD)
I'm sure anything you do will look great, make sure you upload the finished version when you are done I can't wait to see it! c:

Postby nachobuddy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:16 pm

nachobuddy

Will do :D

Postby nachobuddy » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:30 pm

nachobuddy

Ok so this time it's the color scheme! Coloring is usually my favorite part but I want to go outside my comfortzone with the lighting scheme and color palette. How is the shading and highlight looking so far? Anything I should change?
ookyspookysmol4.png

Postby Audiazif » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:42 am

Audiazif

nachobuddy wrote:How is the shading and highlight looking so far?

It is not going to be easy to tell until you paint everything else around it. Right now the shading looks fine by itself but I am not sure how it is going to work in context. Going by the shading, the light looks like it is coming directly from the right side of the image but there is no place for the light to come from.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby nachobuddy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm

nachobuddy

Yeah you're right, it's supposed to be coming from the right, I just haven't added the actual lightsource yet :P I'm thinking of extending the frame to the right so that i can make the wall bigger and add a visible neon sign. I played around with neon and suddenly the yellow light looks really pasty compared to the pink one, I think the pink goes better with the colors, what do you guys think? (Still working on the reflection on the leather skirt, hehe)
ookyspookyrevamp7.png
ookyspookyrevamp8.png

Postby Josephcow » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:28 pm

Josephcow

Any of those color schemes could potentially work (although if you are going for moonlight in the shadows, it wont be as light of blue). The problem is how you are applying light and shadow. You must define where the form is in light and where it is in shadow.

Forms do not descend into shadow in an even transition. There is a point at which the light rays are tangent to the form, the terminator, and after here the light no longer touches at all.

Right now you are kind of just gradating without concern for construction. The shape of the shadows tell us the form. Even if the light source is diffused, light still works like this, just with softer edges. between light and shadow.

You would be doing this underneath the line layer, but I didn't have a line layer so I just went over the lines. But side-note I would get rid of the outline around the lips when adding colors. I don't think it's needed.
ookyspookyre33vamp7.png
ookyspookyrev234amp7.png

Postby Audiazif » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Audiazif

nachobuddy wrote:Yeah you're right, it's supposed to be coming from the right, I just haven't added the actual lightsource yet :P I'm thinking of extending the frame to the right so that i can make the wall bigger and add a visible neon sign.

I was not saying the light source needed to be visible. I was saying the lighting was not make sense with the space. The lighting would make more sense with the space if the light was coming from the top right. The light would also be plausible if it was coming from anywhere to the left.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby Kittycat2017 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:51 pm

Kittycat2017

The colors you are using look great so far, the piece is really coming together c:

Postby nachobuddy » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:55 pm

nachobuddy

Even without the line layer, it looks so great :D Thank you so much for making the time to correct it! I'll work on the shadows.
The plan is to blend the lines in with the light and shadows so it won't look so harsh on the finished image, but I'll try to wipe out the lines on the face itself as much as possible, I agree that it doesn't look good around the lips right now. Again, I really appreciate the pointers, thanks :D

Postby nachobuddy » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:13 pm

nachobuddy

So an update! There are obviously still things im not happy with yet as the neon light's coloring looks dirty, I should push the shadow in the background more to the left and I have yet to repent for my sins of gradual shading on the girl to the right. Sorry Joseph

Am I missing anything else?
ookyspookysmol9.png

Postby Josephcow » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Josephcow

Looks a lot better! I like the reflection on the skirt.

Return to Critique This!