Have some questions? Want answers? Got some good tips? This is the place to ask, or answer, questions regarding art tools, and methods.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, virtueone

Postby ActualDragonTears » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:03 am

ActualDragonTears

Subject title: Warning: Generic Whine Ahead

Art is really kicking my ass right now. By my one thousand questions I'm sure it's rather obvious I was already having difficulties, but for a time it was going well again. Then I kept taking breaks, I had a mountain of homework ( and still do ), and among other things, I didn't really have time to draw, or rather I had more excuses to avoid it. Now, I can't do anything of substance. I couldn't before, but it feels worse now. I thought to redo the drawabox lessons because I didn't get critique or finish the work last time, but I ran out of time for that as well. I'm planning to start doing them again, but what do I draw in the meantime? The forum told me to 'draw what I love' but I can't draw anything. I feel hopeless halfway through, end up finding reference, and giving up even after that. At this rate I'll have to relearn anatomy, even though I already wasted countless hours on it, and I STILL don't know how to build up forms with shapes even now. Art used to be my main interest, and usually learning motivates me, but now I can't even draw what I used to find enjoyment in. I know this is a weird thing to ask for advice on, but I really don't know what to do. I want to complete the drawabox lessons but I have to draw inbetween. I could draw faces or bodies but I don't really feel like I understand what I'm drawing, even if I've drawn it a million times and understand the form and/or anatomy. And don't even get me started on painting. I really don't want to give up, but what is there left to do?

Postby Moe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:37 am

Moe

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Ambiguity

"The forum told me to 'draw what I love' but I can't draw anything." - Exactly, that's precisely why you should draw it, so you can improve at it. You can't be sure of when you'll get a drawing you're happy with, but you can be positive that if you're not working at it at all that you definitely won't ever acheive that. Try not to focus so much on what could go wrong, and instead focus on what your life would be like if you never achieved your goals. Are you really happy with that? Does risk of failing from piece to piece sound worse to you than not doing art at all?

On a side note, don't get the idea that you need to complete a certain amount of steps before you're "allowed" to draw what you want to draw, you're never going to be done with the fundamentals, and you're not accountable to anyone but yourself.

Postby DarkLored123 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:36 am

DarkLored123

I don't think that pressuring yourself and causing unnecessary stress is gonna move you up the ladder. Learning is not a race, if you want to learn then do it the right way, and the right way is to take your time with study and practice. Personally I would recommend focusing on perspective, form, and proportions. Anatomy isn't going to help you get better, it is just a way to add detail onto the form of the human figure, you could draw decent human figures without anatomical knowledge, but anatomy shouldn't be your main priority.

There isn't a secret way to become good at art, every person is different, and needs different learning styles to suit their experiences. It is up to you to figure out how to get better, and moping on the floor instead of putting in the work isn't going to help you get better. Taking breaks is fine, you won't rust severely even if you take a break that lasts a week or two, trust me I've taken those kinds of breaks and I am still able to do what I could before them. Get rid of the idea that everything needs to be perfect on the first shot, and simply practice while trying to enjoy art. Make sure you also keep track of internal dialogue, negative thoughts lead to negative emotions and make the experience more horrible than it should be.

Postby ActualDragonTears » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:14 pm

ActualDragonTears

Ambiguity wrote:"The forum told me to 'draw what I love' but I can't draw anything." - Exactly, that's precisely why you should draw it, so you can improve at it. You can't be sure of when you'll get a drawing you're happy with, but you can be positive that if you're not working at it at all that you definitely won't ever acheive that. Try not to focus so much on what could go wrong, and instead focus on what your life would be like if you never achieved your goals. Are you really happy with that? Does risk of failing from piece to piece sound worse to you than not doing art at all?

On a side note, don't get the idea that you need to complete a certain amount of steps before you're "allowed" to draw what you want to draw, you're never going to be done with the fundamentals, and you're not accountable to anyone but yourself.

I suppose so, but the problem is I can't find myself happy with anything I create, so I end up with a bunch of useless doodles that hardly make up a shape. I keep thinking I can force myself to draw, but I can't.

DarkLored123 wrote:I don't think that pressuring yourself and causing unnecessary stress is gonna move you up the ladder. Learning is not a race, if you want to learn then do it the right way, and the right way is to take your time with study and practice. Personally I would recommend focusing on perspective, form, and proportions. Anatomy isn't going to help you get better, it is just a way to add detail onto the form of the human figure, you could draw decent human figures without anatomical knowledge, but anatomy shouldn't be your main priority.

There isn't a secret way to become good at art, every person is different, and needs different learning styles to suit their experiences. It is up to you to figure out how to get better, and moping on the floor instead of putting in the work isn't going to help you get better. Taking breaks is fine, you won't rust severely even if you take a break that lasts a week or two, trust me I've taken those kinds of breaks and I am still able to do what I could before them. Get rid of the idea that everything needs to be perfect on the first shot, and simply practice while trying to enjoy art. Make sure you also keep track of internal dialogue, negative thoughts lead to negative emotions and make the experience more horrible than it should be.

I've been trying to focus on those, but nothing's coming out of it. I study forms and I think I've got it down, then I try to render the figure, objects, animals, and it was hardly worth it. I feel as if I'm harming my learning every time I draw, especially because I don't use guidelines. I've tried several websites, channels, forums, but nothing's working. I study a lot, I study a little, I study easy things, hard things, but I can't display any of it. I can't find anyone experiencing anything similar so it has to be a problem with me, but I understand what I'm reading, and I practice it gradually. I've been studying for a year and I've got nothing to show for it. Whenever I think I'm getting better, I'm drawing at the same level or worse than I did last year or the year before.

Postby Alpacamood » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:26 pm

Alpacamood

it seems like you're putting too much pressure on yourself to make something good, when its really just about making anything. how often are you drawing?
also it's pretty much impossible to get worse at drawing if you've been practicing every day, unless you are allowing yourself to get into bad habits, if that's whats happening you need to reflect on whats enabling you to develop negative habits when drawing.

Postby Audiazif » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Audiazif

ActualDragonTears wrote:I've been trying to focus on those, but nothing's coming out of it. I study forms and I think I've got it down, then I try to render the figure, objects, animals, and it was hardly worth it. I feel as if I'm harming my learning every time I draw, especially because I don't use guidelines. I've tried several websites, channels, forums, but nothing's working. I study a lot, I study a little, I study easy things, hard things, but I can't display any of it. I can't find anyone experiencing anything similar so it has to be a problem with me, but I understand what I'm reading, and I practice it gradually. I've been studying for a year and I've got nothing to show for it. Whenever I think I'm getting better, I'm drawing at the same level or worse than I did last year or the year before.

Studying does not equal practice.

It sounds like you are doing too much studying and not enough drawing. Drawing, and art in general, is like a language. You will never be fluent or at the very least understood in the language if you just study the grammar and vocabulary but never speak the language. The biggest part of learning a language is actually speaking it, grammar and vocabulary are secondary (think of how young children learn language, they have no concept of grammar and vocabulary yet they still become proficient). You are not going to get anywhere if you do not draw. I feel like your situation is a perfect fit for the vague and infamous advice of "just draw more". I know that is not "good" advice in most cases but it sounds like you seriously need to just draw more. Stop thinking, stop studying (for now), stop talking and just draw. Don't be afraid to make a bad drawing or a thousand bad drawings. Learn to accept that not everything you put on the paper is going to be a masterpiece or has to be great. In other words just let go and draw. Maybe when you have amassed a lot of drawings and sketches you cold take a look at them and find one small thing you would like to improve. Amass another pile of drawings and sketches being critical of that one thing you want to improve, find something else you want to improve. Rinse and repeat. Major idea to take away is to take smaller bites. Focus on one thing at a time.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:36 pm

DarkLored123

Well no one here can guess how to help you if you don't take initiative and help yourself. Do you even have any goals in art? if not, then I doubt you'd be able to stick to it without some kind of motivation to back you up. You don't need any goals like making money or other serious stuff, but you need to get something out of it for you to stay on track with it. Learning physical skill-sets isn't as straight forward as learning theory, you can understand something very well, but if you do not put in effort in training those skills in practical application, then you won't be able to reproduce it. Why do you think that new hires are trained even though they are fresh from college? Because they need to physically memorize the process so they can be more proficient and productive.

Also simply studying a topic about a specific skill and then trying to practice it a little, does not make any marginal difference, if you do not balance the quantity with the quality that you want to produce then you are only going to end up in a negative slope. The fact that you admit to not having confidence to post your work online just shows that you are seeking perfectionist results, I recommend not being afraid to upload what you draw, no one has the time to criticize you or make fun of you. People are busy, worst case scenario someone might leave a negative comment(which is rare) and so what? They have wasted precious time on trying to appear better than you, yet you have done something productive that moved you towards your goal. You also do not need to depend on another entity so that you can deal with your problem, I have thus far practiced mostly by intuition, meaning that I used my own intuition to create methods for me to practice certain fields in drawing. You need to be doing the same thing or doing exercises from tutorials/books that are strictly related to the /FUNDAMENTALS/ because "how to" and "step by step" are not your allies, I have been in many art communities that had skilled artist, yet that didn't really boost me up at all.

No matter who you approach and at what skill level they are, you are likely to get the same response. I have been in your shoes before, I've also hit low points not too long ago, I've sought critique from a deviantArtist and he said the same exact thing I am relying to you, which are, do not pressure yourself, practice the fundamentals isolated from one another, and don't go for too ambitious projects/practices but build upon simplicity. Basically trying to aim high before you've conquered the bottom is irrational, do easy practices like drawing cubes, cylinders, lines, flat shapes, and use guidelines to help you. Then after gradually becoming more confident add challenges, make an illustration with a simple pose, but complex angle, or draw a complex pose with a simple angle.

Also watch this video that Sycra recently put out, while it doesn't address your problem directly I am sure it is useful for you since you want to rush progress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovSAXB2NHqc&t=491s

All I can really recommend is to practice the fundamentals, the ones I most recommend is form and perspective as they are basically the most important skills to create convincing illustrations, and let the part of yourself that wants to improve super fast die, because that is not going to happen. Complaining isn't going to help, honestly you are much better off spending time practicing rather than worrying about whether or not you are making progress.

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:08 am

Ambiguity

ActualDragonTears wrote: I suppose so, but the problem is I can't find myself happy with anything I create, so I end up with a bunch of useless doodles that hardly make up a shape. I keep thinking I can force myself to draw, but I can't.

That's exactly why I said "try not to focus so much on what could go wrong, and instead focus on what your life would be like if you never achieved your goals." You're killing your motivation to draw before you've even started by putting these unreasonable expectations on what your art should be in this moment.

Return to Art Questions and Discussion