Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:49 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Subject title: Is the chest proportionate? (boobies question)

There's a League of Legends contest on the 'Star Guardian' theme (like Sailormoon), and I thought I would test my skills on what I've learnt recently. I haven't really scratched the surface on anatomy, and I had the most difficulty painting her chest.

What does anyone think proportion-wise? Is there a tutorial on --- boobies? In perspective I'm not sure what size are for each one A-cup, B-cup etc.. General feedbacks on what I can improve are cool too. :D
star guardian irelia.2.5 - Copy.jpg
Instagram || ArtStation || Tapas #romanticize

Postby Audiazif » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:32 am

Audiazif

Untitled-5.png

Your proportions are off but not only in the chest. I am not sure how you are measuring. If you are going off head measurements you need to make a proportionate head. I would say you need to work on you head proportions. The head in this is too tall and the eyes are too low(which is throwing all the features off). Another problem that could be happening is you are focusing on individual parts and then moving onto the next. Working this way makes it hard to get proportions right. A better way to work would be to work things up together to the same degree (i.e. sketch the whole piece > block in/line art the whole piece > Do more color and rendering, all over > finishing touches).

For the breasts and chest, there are plenty of vids on youtube. Don't worry about different cup sizes, once you know the basics there is not much difference(you just make them bigger). References are also helpful. ;)
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:09 pm

UnorthodoxThing

Thx heaps for the analysis! :D

I was looking at these figure drawing theories 8 heads, 7 1/2 heads and 9 heads. I wasn't sure where to begin but I really wanted her to be a tall woman. Yep, I definitely went blind on that part. I just went and look online that the tallest man ever recorded was 9 head tall.

I realise I don't know hair functionality when you mention the head was a little too tall. (I remeber wanting to show the top half of the head when I got up to putting hair on her... whoopsies)

Postby DarkLored123 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:04 pm

DarkLored123

I've red-lined what stood out to me. I think that the main problem is that you struggle with adding volume to the shapes and properly identifying the perspective of the scene, I think you exaggerated the breasts a tiny bit too much and also just a comment on that. Breasts tend to behave like water balloons or at least they have similar physics, normally if breasts are large to a certain degree like yours they'd rest on the sides of the ribcage, I don't know how to explain this well but looking up reference and seeing what I mean will likely help.

You might want to draw guidelines when doing the sketch, also try to avoid having straight angles on any part of the body as most of the time it takes away the dynamism that could be achieved with a more interesting angle. Also you might want to narrow down the ribcage more than you actually have it since females have narrow ribcages and wider hips. If you want to have females proportions then look at female references, males are a bad reference when it comes to referencing proportions for females since there are major differences, for example like I said the shoulder width, also if a male is 9 heads tall a female would usually be 8 1/2 heads tall.

I also want to mention this about proportions, the heads tall measurement doesn't determine the height of the character but the proportions relative to the head size. What i think Auzadif meant was that the angle of the hair was kind of skewed so it made the head look larger than it should be, you might want to train your perception on perspective to have a better idea on how to do angle features and so on properly, starting to draw the hair with basic outlines might give you more leverage for that type of thing, I'd also work on adding gesture to the hair since it'll add some interesting flow to the image.

That's all I have to say regarding your piece, I would recommend focusing on volume and perspective.

Resources for breasts:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Breasts ... -375518743
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Breasts ... -376631488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id_1yth1nZQ

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Ambiguity

Postby UnorthodoxThing » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm

UnorthodoxThing

DarkLored123 wrote:Image

I've red-lined what stood out to me. I think that the main problem is that you struggle with adding volume to the shapes and properly identifying the perspective of the scene, I think you exaggerated the breasts a tiny bit too much and also just a comment on that. Breasts tend to behave like water balloons or at least they have similar physics, normally if breasts are large to a certain degree like yours they'd rest on the sides of the ribcage, I don't know how to explain this well but looking up reference and seeing what I mean will likely help.

You might want to draw guidelines when doing the sketch, also try to avoid having straight angles on any part of the body as most of the time it takes away the dynamism that could be achieved with a more interesting angle. Also you might want to narrow down the ribcage more than you actually have it since females have narrow ribcages and wider hips. If you want to have females proportions then look at female references, males are a bad reference when it comes to referencing proportions for females since there are major differences, for example like I said the shoulder width, also if a male is 9 heads tall a female would usually be 8 1/2 heads tall.

I also want to mention this about proportions, the heads tall measurement doesn't determine the height of the character but the proportions relative to the head size. What i think Auzadif meant was that the angle of the hair was kind of skewed so it made the head look larger than it should be, you might want to train your perception on perspective to have a better idea on how to do angle features and so on properly, starting to draw the hair with basic outlines might give you more leverage for that type of thing, I'd also work on adding gesture to the hair since it'll add some interesting flow to the image.

That's all I have to say regarding your piece, I would recommend focusing on volume and perspective.

Resources for breasts:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Breasts ... -375518743
https://nsio.deviantart.com/art/Breasts ... -376631488
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id_1yth1nZQ

Wow that was very insightful. I haven't even crossed REIQ channel - I love these anatomy for artist videos. I recently picked up 'Figure Drawing for all it's worth' by Andrew Loomis and 'atlas for the human anatomy for artist'. I want to dive into the skeleta structues and I'm gonna study specifically the 8 heads (since it's a given in the book).

I did have trouble thinking what if that person was irl what would her torso dimension be. How would you transfer real life measurement into the canvas (accordingly to ratio)? Ah, I want to ask about how to pratice perspective but my plate may be a bit full,,, but doesn't hurt to know more. :3

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 pm

DarkLored123

All you need to know for accurate proportions is general landmarks, it is just a matter of observation when it comes to proportions. If you look carefully at a human figure, you'd notice that you can draw a line through the entire body and divide it in half, that is the indicator that divides the torso from the lower body.

As for perspective, it isn't hard if you don't stress over it. If I could start over again I'd probably first learn the theory behind perspective, move onto the gird, and then stop using it to train my perception of 3D. Observing how 3D programs work also can come in handy, orbit around a cube and you'll see how perspective is affected in real time. It is just a matter of practice really, start simple and then add more weight as you go.

Return to Critique This!