Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby DRaff210 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:23 pm

DRaff210

Subject title: Character Design - Young Villager

I've recently finished painting what I consider to be my first successful attempt at a full-body character design, and it's the first time in a while I've felt truly happy about my art. But as I'm completely self-taught, I have no one to turn to for critiques, and I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Any and all constructive criticism is appreciated! Thanks everybody!
lass color.jpg

Postby Josephcow » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Josephcow

This looks really good! very cute. Probably the first time I haven't been able to find anything fundamentally wrong with something ;) except you might have done the long-neck-scarf mistake. Where you make the neck really long to fit the scarf instead of fitting the scarf around the neck. It's not so noticeable here though.

Postby Alpacamood » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:03 am

Alpacamood

i think your sketch is a little more successful just because you have more clarity in the hands, also the pattern on the shoe don't match. i think the character is cute, the colors you chose are nice as well. another tip i would suggest is to vary the brushes you use, the same texture occurring in multiple places makes it feel more synthetic, which is unappealing. overall i think it's a good start!

Postby lo-fi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:30 pm

lo-fi

Aww, this characters is very cute! Overall this drawing is good but I have a few nitpicks. Her scarf seems a little flat, the shading isnt really working on the scarf. Also her feet seem un-defined like her hands. Her hands have an outline, while the feet dont.
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Postby DRaff210 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:33 am

DRaff210

Thanks for the responses so far!

Josephcow wrote:This looks really good! very cute. Probably the first time I haven't been able to find anything fundamentally wrong with something ;) except you might have done the long-neck-scarf mistake. Where you make the neck really long to fit the scarf instead of fitting the scarf around the neck. It's not so noticeable here though.

Ah, yeah, I think you're right here. Her neck was actually waaay longer originally and I shortened it considerably... but I agree that it may still be slightly too long.

Alpacamood wrote:i think your sketch is a little more successful just because you have more clarity in the hands, also the pattern on the shoe don't match. i think the character is cute, the colors you chose are nice as well. another tip i would suggest is to vary the brushes you use, the same texture occurring in multiple places makes it feel more synthetic, which is unappealing. overall i think it's a good start!

Ahaha, the shoes are actually open-toe and not patterned, so I guess Ididn't communicate that clearly enough. But you're right that they still don't match with one another; I've gone back and fixed that. And you definitely have a good point about the brushes; I've been ery reluctant to use more than the chalk brush and have been relying heavily on it for texture and stuff, but I should probably expand at some point.

lo-fi wrote:Aww, this characters is very cute! Overall this drawing is good but I have a few nitpicks. Her scarf seems a little flat, the shading isnt really working on the scarf. Also her feet seem un-defined like her hands. Her hands have an outline, while the feet dont.

I see what you mean about the scarf; I'm still pretty poor at cloth in general. I felt that rendering her feet wasn't totally necessary since I wanted most of the focus on her face, buuut you're probably right that I still could have been less lazy with them. :lol:

Return to Critique This!