Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby HoundKnight » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:18 pm

HoundKnight

Subject title: would love some help

Finished this yesterday and i would love any suggestion at all on how I can improve! I'm new here but show no mercy, I can handle it!
Thanks! :D
16640663_1208362279277332_2486783863157620202_n.jpg

Postby WyrmPrince » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:17 pm

WyrmPrince

Can you describe what's going on a bit so I can give a proper critique? What's on her arm and why is it bleeding? Why does it look like her skirt is blowing in the wind but her hair isn't?

Also would you mind if I did a draw over to illustrate a few points better?

Postby HoundKnight » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:18 pm

HoundKnight

Sure go ahead, i don't mind. I appreciate every bit of suggestion/criticism anyone is willing to give. :D
Title is Battle fatigue btw
She is a hero/knight, In a snowy place? who just finished battling with a beast of some sort and suffered heavy damage, like her bruised breastplate and she supposedly ripped her "hero" cape/cloak as make-shift bandage for her hand which was either bitten off or she cut it off to remove the poison of the beast or something like that and she is slowly losing conscious, ready to collapse/pass out anytime(didn't give too much thought into the concept, just sorta went with the flow)

As for the hair i don't really know how to draw it in a flowing-form.(didn't really notice until now actually :lol: )
Thanks in advance :)

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 pm

DarkLored123

I think that your piece lacks a lot of fundamental knowledge and is too much for you to execute at your current level, just by looking at it I can see that there is no perspective, gesture, proper proportions, form, etc... You need to learn the basics in order to be able to produce such pieces, you emphasize a lot of detail in your piece but details are nothing if you don't have a solid foundation drawn yet. Also it is hard to identify what's going on with the right arm, I assume it is cut off but the wrinkles and so on give me the assumption that the arm was cut further than the actual clothing which makes no sense, also what is the piece about? You need to ask questions in order to get the proper answers, if you don't know how to set up the idea on a page then how is the audience going to understand it.

I'll share a resource that I think is really good for you, especially since the artist giving them is focusing on the same kind of style as you are:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

There are many resources and books that you can use online that go about the fundamentals and you'll improve as long as you put in the effort and head towards the right direction. Details can wait, you'll be surprised at how good you'll become at applying them once you start practicing the right way, I also recommend that you challenge yourself every now and then by creating an illustration on the basis of what you learned it'll be a good way to deepen the memory and show your current standing, maybe even redraw this piece in a few months or a year and see how much progress you've made.

Hope I helped you out.

Postby HoundKnight » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm

HoundKnight

DarkLored123 wrote:I think that your piece lacks a lot of fundamental knowledge and is too much for you to execute at your current level, just by looking at it I can see that there is no perspective, gesture, proper proportions, form, etc... You need to learn the basics in order to be able to produce such pieces, you emphasize a lot of detail in your piece but details are nothing if you don't have a solid foundation drawn yet. Also it is hard to identify what's going on with the right arm, I assume it is cut off but the wrinkles and so on give me the assumption that the arm was cut further than the actual clothing which makes no sense, also what is the piece about? You need to ask questions in order to get the proper answers, if you don't know how to set up the idea on a page then how is the audience going to understand it.

I'll share a resource that I think is really good for you, especially since the artist giving them is focusing on the same kind of style as you are:

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

There are many resources and books that you can use online that go about the fundamentals and you'll improve as long as you put in the effort and head towards the right direction. Details can wait, you'll be surprised at how good you'll become at applying them once you start practicing the right way, I also recommend that you challenge yourself every now and then by creating an illustration on the basis of what you learned it'll be a good way to deepen the memory and show your current standing, maybe even redraw this piece in a few months or a year and see how much progress you've made.

Hope I helped you out.

Thanks for being straightforward!
I'm still sorta new to drawing, so my knowledge is pretty messed up, but i get what your saying! This is about my 2nd year of drawing and i roughly draw once a month but lately i've been trying to get into it more, and this is seriously really going to help out a ton, like A TON!!!
Thank you once again!! :D

Postby lo-fi » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 am

lo-fi

Hi! Well I guess the mood for this is like you said battle fatigue. But the pose and her expression is really stiff. I say do a different pose all together. Possibly her lying to the ground, some amour ripped and her face is struggling?
“Every artist has thousands of bad drawings in them and the only way to get rid of them is to draw them out." - Chuck Jones

Return to Critique This!