Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kim Jong Mill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Kim Jong Mill

Subject title: Learning the face

after lots of focus on gesture I haven't had a lot of time to focus on drawing detail especially in the face. Any critiques and notes for improvement would be well appreciated
http://imgur.com/lqJNnHr
Last edited by Kim Jong Mill on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:49 pm

DarkLored123

If you want to learn how to add features to the face I suggest that you study the form of the skull and muscle tissue, but first I think you should focus on construction because it looks like you lack that side, I'd also focus on perspective at best because having knowledge about it will allow you to align features properly on the face from different angles.

Now the thing with your details is that first of all you need to ease on the pressure of your pencil, it is harder to remove markings if you make a mistake, even I struggle with controlling my own pressure on the pencil but you need to be mindful of that. I honestly don't know what you are aiming for in terms of style but if you are going for realistic then lines are not enough to emphasize features of the face realistically, you need to know how to apply shadow in order to pull out the form so I recommend lightly sketching the features with lines and then focusing on applying shadow in order to emphasize the forms of the face.

As for the hair, drawing multiple lines like that will only make it look unnatural because hair has it's own volume, I think that the best course of action is to identify the general shape of where the hair flows and add separate shapes that are on the hair to emphasize where the hair flows and what direction it is pointing at, I personally don't know how to explain this in words so I'd recommend studying hair from images and looking at what they have in common.

You need a knack for the basics before you can go for details, from my experience details should be last because they are not gonna be of much use if you lack the ability to control the basics such as mentioned above, I hope I helped you with any questions you've had.

Postby Kim Jong Mill » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Kim Jong Mill

DarkLored123 wrote:If you want to learn how to add features to the face I suggest that you study the form of the skull and muscle tissue, but first I think you should focus on construction because it looks like you lack that side, I'd also focus on perspective at best because having knowledge about it will allow you to align features properly on the face from different angles.

Now the thing with your details is that first of all you need to ease on the pressure of your pencil, it is harder to remove markings if you make a mistake, even I struggle with controlling my own pressure on the pencil but you need to be mindful of that. I honestly don't know what you are aiming for in terms of style but if you are going for realistic then lines are not enough to emphasize features of the face realistically, you need to know how to apply shadow in order to pull out the form so I recommend lightly sketching the features with lines and then focusing on applying shadow in order to emphasize the forms of the face.

As for the hair, drawing multiple lines like that will only make it look unnatural because hair has it's own volume, I think that the best course of action is to identify the general shape of where the hair flows and add separate shapes that are on the hair to emphasize where the hair flows and what direction it is pointing at, I personally don't know how to explain this in words so I'd recommend studying hair from images and looking at what they have in common.

You need a knack for the basics before you can go for details, from my experience details should be last because they are not gonna be of much use if you lack the ability to control the basics such as mentioned above, I hope I helped you with any questions you've had.

Thank you very much for the criticism I will be sure to jot these down and keep them in mind as I draw. When I said details I think there was a bit of a misunderstanding I meant that I usually don't even draw faces I usually leave the face blank. but yes I will look more in depth into the structure and construction of the face. I currently lack a lot of practice drawing the face and wanted to know where to start and thank you for your guidance. If you happen to have any sources or books from which you recommend I study from that would be awesome. If not your advice was very helpful into helping me take a step in the right direction

Postby DarkLored123 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:08 pm

DarkLored123

Well I do have only one source that I can give you since I think it sums up a lot of information that you can pick up from many tutorials pretty much, it is strictly about the fundamentals although if you want a tutorial that goes in depth about faces or how to draw heads in general then you can check out Proko's channel.

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

Postby Kim Jong Mill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:43 am

Kim Jong Mill

DarkLored123 wrote:Well I do have only one source that I can give you since I think it sums up a lot of information that you can pick up from many tutorials pretty much, it is strictly about the fundamentals although if you want a tutorial that goes in depth about faces or how to draw heads in general then you can check out Proko's channel.

https://nsio.deviantart.com/gallery/45894768/Tutorials

Ok thank you this is much appreciated :D

Return to Critique This!