Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Kavilen » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:02 am

Kavilen

Subject title: Grudger

So I recently started drawing after about 3 months of little to nothing and was wondering if I could get some advice on this piece I drew. He is a creature I created called the Grudger and needed some advice on what I could do to change him and if I need to improve upon anything. Any sort of advice is helpful. Thanks in advance! :D
rsz_grudger.jpg

Postby WyrmPrince » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:54 pm

WyrmPrince

The linework is the biggest issue that I see. It's just too sketchy to really see anything defined beneath it. I specifically can't tell what's going on with the face. Your anatomy looks great though

Postby Kavilen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:28 am

Kavilen

Ah, I see what you mean! I will post a redo of the linework soon. Thanks for the feedback! :D

Postby Kavilen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:28 am

Kavilen

Alright, here is the new line work of the picture. Any changes before I color it in? Originally, the face is supposed to have crystals which act as both it's life form and vision, but I'm not too sure if I like it too much. Should I keep it, or try something new?
rsz_grudger2.jpg

Postby WyrmPrince » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:59 am

WyrmPrince

I personally think it's pretty cool and you should stick with it. If for no other reason than to practice color and shading.

Are the crystals supposed to be slightly embedded into his skin in a sort of gruesome way? Because that's the vibe I'm getting and it's pretty neat.

Also when it comes to lineart, I always have second thoughts in the middle of my drawing. Something about not having enough lineart practice just makes it really uncomfortable for me to see my pictures out of their sketchy origins. Maybe you're the same way

Postby Kavilen » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:12 am

Kavilen

Yes! That was exactly what I was going for. Also, I was going to make his skin a bit warped from the crystals' power. Yeah, Im the same way. I rarely ever do line art. Thank you for your feedback! :D

Return to Critique This!