Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Iksnerogib » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 am

Iksnerogib

Subject title: NSFW

Hi, fellas.

I've been painting a lot since my last post.
What do you think about this painting?

Critiques are much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

beauty__THISONE.png
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby biosphere » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:07 pm

biosphere

What is the reference?

Postby Iksnerogib » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:20 pm

Iksnerogib

biosphere wrote:What is the reference?

This one was an exercise of painting without reference.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Postby biosphere » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:30 pm

biosphere

I see. You should probably keep using references for a while longer. Or just keep it to get the pose more natural. It doesn't have to look like the reference. Hell it can be an old man instead of a woman. But there are issues like the head leaning toward the opposite shoulder of what it usually would if you lean on your arm. The shoulder that's supporting the weight would be raised and more things like anatomy or proportional issues.

For the lighting, I'm not sure where it's coming from. There are some inconsistencies. It might be from the straight above. but some places looks like top right, some look like top left. Others look like the front.

The background and skin is pretty much the same vaulue. I'd recommend some more contrast to get the separation reading well enough.
The darks should be darker. There might be some bounced light of your choosing, but the core shadows are extremely faint.

You're showing forms pretty good I think, but the blending is a bit streaky.

All in all, this looks to me like a pretty good piece but it highlights all your issues very well also. Maybe I seem a little harsh in my criticism. I'm far from a good painter myself.. so don't take it too seriously.
It's also a difficult perspective of the figure to try to hammer out. Maybe try some "simpler" poses to try to figure out some issues with values and anatomy and proportion etc. and then progress into more dynamic stuff along the way.

All that said, you're showing a lot of improvement. Keep on painting. Next time I wanna see 2 or 3 like this! Try to make it 2 from reference and 1 from imagination maybe?

Postby Iksnerogib » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:40 pm

Iksnerogib

Thanks a lot Biosphere!
biosphere wrote:Maybe I seem a little harsh in my criticism

No, not at all. You're pointing some pretty palpable aspects which I can improve.

biosphere wrote:You should probably keep using references for a while longer.

I'm still doing paintings and sketches with reference. Those no-reference studies are more like a "pushing it to the edge" thing.

biosphere wrote:Maybe try some "simpler" poses to try to figure out some issues with values and anatomy and proportion etc. and then progress into more dynamic stuff along the way

To be sincere... I had some problems and changed the pose a lot at a later stage, and that showed in the final painting I supose.

biosphere wrote:All that said, you're showing a lot of improvement. Keep on painting. Next time I wanna see 2 or 3 like this!

Thanks alot! I'll do that.
How am I posting?
Call 1-800-against-rules

Return to Critique This!