Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby julianbraucker » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:34 am

julianbraucker

Subject title: 'Prophet' Character Critique (Video Critique appreciated)

Hi!
I finally finished my latest painting. It took me ages and it was quite hard to figure the lighting out.
I've been watching Sycra's videos for ages now and stumbled over his forum so I thought I could give it a shot.
Really like the idea of that forum. Hi everyone :)

Please feel free to criticize. There are still a few things left which are bugging me (yes, the hand sucks :D) but I couldn't wait to call it finished :P

I don't know if it is forbidden to put the DA link here. I just saw everyone posting pictures directly so I hope its not.
http://bit.ly/14Sxtla If you want a bigger resolution. Not meant for a promotion purpose... :?

Video Critique would be a honor :P

Cheers

Postby Fedodika » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:24 am

Fedodika

Overall this is too strong for me to have a critique for. I like your use of the blue smoke/mist to add depth. The intricate lines in the back add alot to appreciate. The feathers are/seem really accurate and lifelike especially in the smaller area... Idk what else to say though other than this is a pretty good illustration/concept. Sorry i couldn't help more, but you seem to have the right idea! oh and you can certainly link your DA here :lol:

Postby julianbraucker » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:05 am

julianbraucker

Fedodika wrote:Overall this is too strong for me to have a critique for. I like your use of the blue smoke/mist to add depth. The intricate lines in the back add alot to appreciate. The feathers are/seem really accurate and lifelike especially in the smaller area... Idk what else to say though other than this is a pretty good illustration/concept. Sorry i couldn't help more, but you seem to have the right idea! oh and you can certainly link your DA here :lol:

Thanks alot for your words Fedodika. I appreciated them very much.
I just want some opinions on my work as it doesn't really get seen quite yet and you did a good job providing yours ;)
So if there is anything you guys don't like about it just say so, I won't take anything as an offense.

Cheers,
Julian

Postby marvel57 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:47 pm

marvel57

Julian- I've looked at this several times, and my conclusion is that it's pretty good! It kinda looks like a sci-fi paperback covers/ the 80's style lazer cross grids, the lighting seems kind of random and the stomach muscles are kind of vague.But, it still Looks good :ugeek:

Postby julianbraucker » Fri May 03, 2013 2:02 pm

julianbraucker

marvel57 wrote:Julian- I've looked at this several times, and my conclusion is that it's pretty good! It kinda looks like a sci-fi paperback covers/ the 80's style lazer cross grids, the lighting seems kind of random and the stomach muscles are kind of vague.But, it still Looks good :ugeek:

Thanks :) I don't know much about styles from the 80's, I just painted the character and then went into tryhard mode for a background and made it up with tons of happy accidents :D I did the background relatively quick in comparison to the character.
There's supposed to be a spot light like light source directly from the top and two side light sources from below but I agree that it looks a bit undefined.
Thanks for your point of view!

Cheers

btw I'm trying to get more active here in the forums but I find it kinda hard to criticize the art here, although I normally don't have a huge problem with that :D A bit weird. It seems to be a different level compared to deviantart.

Return to Critique This!