Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Jeneko » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Jeneko

Subject title: Angry dude

Hello friends.
For now I can draw something like this (nearly 5hr in photoshop, kinda selfportrait)
30_04.jpg

What should I do and how to improve my skill.
Thank you.
(and sorry for my English, he's not native for me :oops: ).

P.S: and almost forgot - You can use this for a video critique, it would be great!
Last edited by Jeneko on Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby marvel57 » Wed May 01, 2013 2:46 am

marvel57

Jene-drawing more and enjoying and it less? :D looks pretty good to me :ugeek:

Postby Alfred_J » Wed May 01, 2013 10:08 pm

Alfred_J

Jeneko, i find that is a awesome picture. Maybe because i often feel like this, as you have presented it. ;) just cool painting.

Postby Jeneko » Thu May 02, 2013 2:35 pm

Jeneko

marvel57, Alfred_J, thanks for reply and kind words.
So do you think I should just continue or maybe I need to pay attention to some stuff to gets any better? Because to me it's a bit hard to see my own mistakes and maybe (I'm sure of it) I have a lot of them :oops:

Postby Ambiguity » Thu May 02, 2013 6:38 pm

Ambiguity

Quick paintover:
Fixed his eye and mouth, made his left arm actually do something instead of just being there, and changed the lighting to make the mood more intense. I'm not really sure why you made your shadows more saturated then everything else, but I left them that way.

Postby C Bear » Thu May 02, 2013 11:37 pm

C Bear

This picture explains my life almost everytime I sit down to draw something serious.

Very nice job, I like the painterly style and the tear in the sleeve, a very nice little detail.
keyboard not found, press any key to continue.

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Ambiguity

You know I just realized it doesn't make sense to have that blue light as rim light since it's not coming from behind him.

Postby Fenix_N » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 am

Fenix_N

Hey, I like how you captured that angry feeling despite using blues and greens for your background. Did it help pop out the figure more or something..? It's interesting to think about.

Postby Byfield » Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 am

Byfield

I love the piece! I suppose my only critique would be a personal style preference. I was thinking maybe it would be better if the left hand was maybe a little more dynamic. Although how dynamic would one have it in real life anyway? haha. Maybe have the left hand grabbing his hair out of frustration, or the monitor perhaps. Regardless, great job on the piece man!
My first ever illustration attempt: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6799 Please help me get better by critiquing.

Postby Jeneko » Tue May 07, 2013 11:43 am

Jeneko

Ambiguity, thank you for your paintover, and yes, you are certainly right, I should've do something with his left hand :(
And I agree about rim light - there is no explanation of it. When I made it I thought it can be the light from the monitor, but then it should be more frontal (if it's a right word) than right now.

C Bear, thanks :) Tear in the sleeve should've represent some energy of gesture according to my plan. And anyway this actually happens time by time ^_^'

Fenix_N, thank you. Frankly, I can't answer why exactly there's blues and greens in the background. When I choosed "angry color" for the character I tryed to make the background more contrast to him.
So yes, I think I could say, it's to pop out the character. But maybe (and probably) it's not the best colors. I'm still not any good with picking the right ones.

Byfield, ha, it's a really good idea to grab his hair with his left hand - definitely I should've draw something like this! Well, I hope I'll dream up something like this next time. Thank you for appreciation!

Return to Critique This!