Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Spacecookie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:58 am

Spacecookie

Subject title: Crit, video ok if you want to scare me. XD

So I did this one a while back, but I need to do something to it to make it work better, which is why I stopped.

It's meant to be a lot more about the character than the background, but the background was supposed to be a... well it was like an alley, and you go up the stairs at the end to get out and into moonlight, out of the sickly, weak, yellow gas street lighting. I ran out of ideas and have no clue about improving it.

Plague doctor, my version...

Postby Zoju » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Zoju

The anatomy of the character could use some work, the head looks too big when compared to the nonexistent shoulders.
I really like the shading on the head, but the lights don't see to affect his clothes the same way.
The composition is also odd, he's all up in the viewer's face, not doing anything. Maybe put him back a little bit.

Also, don't save as low quality jpeg. It messes up the picture.

Postby Spacecookie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:32 pm

Spacecookie

Ty for taking the time. I'll have a go again on it tomorrow (Sunday) as it's late here now.

I know I shouldn't post low quality Jpgs, it's just I don't have the original anywhere. :( The mask is supposed to be over-sized and a bit creepy. >_<

Anyway, I'll make some notes and just set it up ready, because I really want to try with this piece :)

Postby MoreNonsense » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:18 pm

MoreNonsense

I agree with putting him a bit further down the alley. Also the light on the street kinda reminded me of fog (was it supposed to?), which could be cool to add in front of the guy if you want to work in some atmoshere. Or maybe making the street shiny like it's been raining. Ice?
Sorry if ideas weren't what you was looking for, qritiquing isn't something I'm used to yet.

Postby marvel57 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:50 pm

marvel57

Is he?, wearing some sort of short top hat? I can't really make it out. Maybe put the light higher to outline that :ugeek:

Postby perkexpert » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 pm

perkexpert

I guess, as pointed out already, there are several compositional problems that might need to be adressed, i'm going to bed, but have a small start here which i roughed out in 2min, maybe that helps how you could clarify the character and the environment
alley.jpg
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Spacecookie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 am

Spacecookie

Today I will mostly be going back in to doing this picture :)

Ty for all your advice everyone, and ideas are just as welcome as pointers/crit.

I'll be working on it later. I'll spend a while on it, and hope it comes out better after a re-diddling.

Yes Marvel, he's wearing a shorter kind of top hat, kindof. :)
My monitor that I do my art on has really good black and a good contrast, so I can see it ok, but it shows up better if you have a darkened room when viewing it.

Return to Critique This!