Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby ShrapnelAnime » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:58 pm

ShrapnelAnime

Subject title: Anime Style

This is not my best art, but its definitely not my worst.. Not that good yet so.. sorry :')
De Geso

Postby Fedodika » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:04 am

Fedodika

Some of the shadows on her shirt seem to be shaded on boths sides... why? How can light hit the fabric and cast a shadow on both sides of the wrinkle? Her right arm looks kind of uncomfortable, but overall the colors and themes are nice. The hands seem kind of too small and her other arm looks too short. Remember the elbow drops down to about the top of your hip. Good luck!

Postby Zoju » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:49 am

Zoju

I only made five critiques on this site (one of them mysteriously disappearing), but this already seems to come up often, especially with people working in cartoony styles: work on your fundamentals. You need some solid knowledge about anatomy, proportions, shading, values. The basics.
I think doing some figure drawing should be a priority. Don't concentrate on details, just try to get the shapes and the proportions down accurately. This is a great website for practice: http://artists.pixelovely.com/practice- ... e-drawing/
You should also do some studies of fabrics and still lifes to get a hang of shading and the properties of light. You should also use a reference photo for the creases for the next time you draw clothes.
Keep practicing, but draw whatever you want once in a while. I can pretty much guarantee that you'll see your art improve, even on your anime drawings.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:52 am

Ambiguity

ShrapnelAnime wrote:This is not my best art, but its definitely not my worst.. Not that good yet so.. sorry :')

So is there something that you personally see about it that you don't like?

@Zoju:
What most likely happened is you wrote 2 posts before you were approved as a new member, after one of your posts is approved you can post as much as you want without one of us moderators having to approve your posts. However, any other post you wrote before you were a member still need approval for it to show up.

At any rate, I got it fixed for you o.-

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:07 pm

Snakebreath

The biggest issues I see is the shadows in the fabric, they almost appear random. Remember the light is coming from the right and only the planes which are being hit with light will cast shadows. Do some studies on how fabric works, and don't be afraid to use reference when doing a picture, we all do it! Another issue I see with the lighting is on the left side of the character; you put the skirt in proper shadow (darker on the left, lighter on the right) but then the shirt has none of that same shadow. As the light source is coming from the right of her, the left area of the shirt would be darker as it isn't getting as much light. (Sounds kind of confusing, try watching some videos on Youtube about to add shadows/highlights).

Postby Snakebreath » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Snakebreath

Hopefully an image will better explain, I circled the lighting mistakes I first noticed, by the way I like the picture :D

Postby ShrapnelAnime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:52 am

ShrapnelAnime

Thanks a bunch! I know I have A lot A LOT to work on on fabrics shading and highlighting and such.. But so far i havent found a good way to learn it and all the things I see online barely help. Thanks anyways! ^^ :D
De Geso

Postby ShrapnelAnime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:58 am

ShrapnelAnime

Ambiguity wrote:
ShrapnelAnime wrote:This is not my best art, but its definitely not my worst.. Not that good yet so.. sorry :')

So is there something that you personally see about it that you don't like?

@Zoju:
What most likely happened is you wrote 2 posts before you were approved as a new member, after one of your posts is approved you can post as much as you want without one of us moderators having to approve your posts. However, any other post you wrote before you were a member still need approval for it to show up.

At any rate, I got it fixed for you o.-

Thanks for fixing it haha :P And idk.. The way the shading placement (highlight placement as well),.. Fabric wrinkles... Proportions.. Yeah :P
De Geso

Postby Ambiguity » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:56 am

Ambiguity

ShrapnelAnime wrote:idk.. The way the shading placement (highlight placement as well),.. Fabric wrinkles... Proportions.. Yeah :P

I ask because if you know there is something that needs to be fixed you should try to fix it. All critique can really do for you is tell you what's wrong with a piece that you don't already see, but otherwise we're just going to be telling you what you already know which doesn't help you.

ShrapnelAnime wrote:But so far i havent found a good way to learn it and all the things I see online barely help.

I hear you, it took me a long time to find resources that actually help, and people who don't just say "practice".
As for resources, you already know Sycra, but if you're hungry for more good videos there is also SinixDesign on YouTube, Ctrlpaint.com, and Daarken.com.
There is also the PSG Art Tutorial which has pretty much everything you'd want to know about lighting, and for everything else we have a pretty big resource section here:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=42 (There is a lot more than what you see on just the front page)

Postby ShrapnelAnime » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:59 am

ShrapnelAnime

Thanks a bunch! I enjoy the feedback on this forums and Ill be coming back here daily now ^^
De Geso

Return to Critique This!