Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby imcostalong » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 am

imcostalong

Subject title: Cell Shading

So I posted this to my sketchbook... Ignoring things I didn't fix like the cranium and the left side of the face.. I have noooooo clue how to cell shade.. I need help sorting this out.
fuckcellshading.jpg
Always looking for good critiques, help, and direction... There is always room for improvement

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 am

vanyossi

I'm no expert at cell shading but I can tell you this. It's adding shadows in blocks. You need to have an understanding of the shape before starting to get great results as you need to mark the shadow block following the apex of the shape (this in relation to the main source light, and projecting the shadow over the valleys of that shape.). Depending on how many cell shading grades you divide that apex in steps.

You could practice inking in high contrast shadows, like comic books.

I hope it makes sense what i said.

Postby imcostalong » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:17 am

imcostalong

lol I'm aware of the idea behind it... what im wondering is the value levels (in terms of difference in greys that I can transfer over to color)... and I need a guide or a real working example to see... but thank you for your input :D
Always looking for good critiques, help, and direction... There is always room for improvement

Postby vanyossi » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 am

vanyossi

Sorry I must have misread.

Try different values. I would reduce the number of shades in your pic and work with only one. The shadow block needs to be darker. How darker? well , test, test test! As you are using digital there is no better way than hands on. I tend to be very contrasty on values other than skin in which I like less shift in values. Specially on soft shapes, but I guess this guy needs carved in shadows because of his facial construct.

:]

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:51 am

Ambiguity

Not really sure what advice you're looking for, but it's basically as simple as this:
Light tones are applied on planes directly facing the light, mid tones are applied to planes parallel to the light, and dark tones are applied to planes facing directly away from the light. If you can't work this out with that in mind, it means you don't really understand your subject's form.

Postby imcostalong » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 am

imcostalong

Ambiguity wrote:Not really sure what advice you're looking for, but it's basically as simple as this:
Light tones are applied on planes directly facing the light, mid tones are applied to planes parallel to the light, and dark tones are applied to planes facing directly away from the light. If you can't work this out with that in mind, it means you don't really understand your subject's form.

precisely what I was looking for... I can atleast sample the difference in greys there to see the general difference in grayscale and work from there... thank you much!

Postby Scissel » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:14 pm

Scissel

This might be ideal reference material.

Cell_Shading.png

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Zjacklee

Did you draw that dragon ball character?

it seems to have a bit of both Gohan and Goku. Interesting.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Ambiguity » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:13 pm

Ambiguity

Zjacklee wrote:Did you draw that dragon ball character?

Nope, it's from the DBZ Budokai games. Also, have you never seen "The History of Trunks"? That's future Gohan.

Postby Zjacklee » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:48 pm

Zjacklee

Ambiguity wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:Did you draw that dragon ball character?

Nope, it's from the DBZ Budokai games. Also, have you never seen "The History of Trunks"? That's future Gohan.

Aah, that's why.
I have seen it but it's been sooo long ago that I have seen dragon ball that it seems I don't remember much of it even though I know I have watched the series completely!
I started watching a few old episodes and they all feel like "new" to me... even though I already have an idea of where the story is developing and who are all the characters. its weird.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Return to Critique This!