Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Tosyboasty » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:51 pm

Tosyboasty

Subject title: Character Concept

Hello forum it's been a while! finally got some to time to use photoshop so i drew a full body character concept. Please critique me on the character design and anatomy, as well as tell me your interpretation of the character. Thanks in advance! :D

bones critique.png

Postby Spider » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Spider

Kind of looks like some demonized dragon warrior girl. I think the biggest thing I noticed is the way you colored the drawing, that is you used a lot of black to shade, the black does give it a really dark and gory kind of mood, but it also makes it really hard to differentiate between the values. Like at first glance I thought that the left thigh was really really big, until I realized that was just the dragon tail behind it. The face is especially hard to make out to me, I know she's wearing some kind of mask but there's too many dark values to clearly be able to see her face and the mask. I think you made the hair too stringy, and it's kind of in clumps, I think you painted too many single strands of hair, which gives it a really unappealing texture. Finally the blood dripping from the heads is at too much of an angle, it's not going straight down the way gravity intended lol. All in all, I think you mainly just need to practice coloring and value, black isn't that common in shading, look into using other colors to shade. I really like the character overall, she looks spiky.

Postby gricc » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:26 am

gricc

To me it looks like a demon witch lady
The shading and silhouette could use some improvement.
First off with the shading, using black is not the prettiest thing for shading, instead try some saturated reds or blues depending on the lighting. And by the looks of it there is only 1 light source, to spice things up try some orange coming from underneath as like a glow from some fire. Secondary light sources can make anything look twice as good.
And now with the silhouette, there are quite a few bad tangents, like the tail and leg for example. With the lines from the tail and leg coming together so perfectly ruins the whole silhouette and it doesn't read too well, keep things more interesting and try to avoid those kind of things

Anyway, I hope you can learn from this! Good luck!
Sinix 2.0

Postby Mandilor » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 am

Mandilor

Sorry can't really critique the design or anatomy because it's to hard to make it out. You have to much contrast going on so everything is noisy and hard to look at. You should work on grouping your values. The way I do this is to keep my values limited to a range in an area while painting. So if I'm painting lights maybe they're in the 100%-68% range. Mid tones might be from 67%-40% and darks 39%-10%. You can make the ranges w/e you want but the point is they don't overlap. If you do this it will keep everything coherent and easy to read. Of course you can go back in and add some highlights and occlusions just let me warn you about going over board with them. If you add to much you get what you have here.

I did a quick paint over for the sake of illustration (sorry for the pun). I mage the skin a light value group and the armor a dark value group. The background has a kind of gradient to it (in the broad sense) going from light to dark similar to what you had but with more shapes and paint instead of a dull computer made gradient. I recommend avoiding computer generated stuff unless you're going to paint over it. It looks dead if you use what you get as is.

If go back and repaint it I can look at the design or anatomy or if you have line art I can look at that too. I hope this helped.

Postby Tosyboasty » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Tosyboasty

alright here are my corrections! hope it's an improvement...

bones critique.png

Postby Spider » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Spider

much better
can't wait to see what you do next :)

Postby Mandilor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 am

Mandilor

Sorry to be a bit of a pessimist but that looks worse to me. The first one had a good mood but it was lacking control. your new one lacks the mood you had before and still lacks control.

Let me try and help you see what you have and what you're wanting to do.

Here is what you first one looks like:

Here is what your second one looks like:

This is what you want:

Notice how the first two have a bunch of blotches of white sitting on black. That is what makes it hard to read. It's a lot of contrast everywhere. But in the last example all the light shapes are kept to the their larger light areas keeping the contrast controlled and manageable.

You have a lot of contrast in very small shapes like those bone/tooth/spike things. In just one of those alone you got from your lights light to your darkest dark. That means it has the maximum amount of contrast possible. Which would probably be ok if there was one of them and it was your main focal point but you have more than I can bother to count. Reduce the value range on those and that will improve the read dramatically.

Postby Josephcow » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:08 am

Josephcow

I agree with Mandilor. That is a wonderful illustration of how to organize values.

Postby Tosyboasty » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Tosyboasty

Thank you very much Mandilor, i think i got it. please take a look. i think it's an improvement.

bones critique.png

Postby Mandilor » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:26 pm

Mandilor

Yes! Much better.

Postby Alpacky » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:24 pm

Alpacky

Silhouette is my reccomendation on stuff to work on.
For example
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 1b04c1.png

I really like TF2S silhouettes, notice how all the characters are easily recognizable, and different from each other, which also gives a sense of personality?

Right now, since this is a character design, i think the minute, shallow details really muddy the design.
I would go for something more readable.
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Return to Critique This!