Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 pm

alexander.cvetanov

Subject title: Help with a comic book page

So i'm working on a comic( it reads like a manga),but i'm stuck on the first page :( .The scene should be a spaceship landing on a planet.The problem is that i just simply can't draw the spaceship itself.I've done a basic drawing in 1 of the frames ,but it just looks quite bad in terms of design.
rsz_11.jpg

Postby goago » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:22 pm

goago

your main issue is probably the perspective.
A good idea would be to block in the composition using boxes.
Also, spaceships dont need to be aerodynamic. yknow cuz there is no air in space.
of course u can make them aerodynamic but you can basically do whatever you want.
Also, on the first page i would make it generally more dynamic, maybe so that we look
up at the backside of the ship and in the background we see the planets.
think about what role the spaceship plays in your story and chose the shapes accordingly.
a lot of sharp edges and especially triangles tend to look sinister and kinda evil.
but yeah, you should work on the perspective and then do the details.
the space and the planet (moon?) looks pretty good but i recommend you to do everything at a time
so i mean not to render a thing completely while leaving another thing basically untouched. its better to
first do the construction of everything and then render. Also, the planet looks quite flat. think about your
star system and where your sun is so you chose the lightning accordingly.

Postby goago » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:23 pm

goago

Also, i want you to keep going because i think that this is going to be a great comic!
remember: finished, not perfect!

Postby goago » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:24 pm

goago

damn forgot something: if you want to learn how to draw perspective, i recommend to you, drawabox. http://www.drawabox.com/lesson/1
its great.

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 pm

alexander.cvetanov

I'm not really sure how to add volume to the planet,because the comic is going to be printed on paper,so i guess that i can't use airbrush.

Postby Audiazif » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:27 pm

Audiazif

alexander.cvetanov wrote:the comic is going to be printed on paper,so i guess that i can't use airbrush.

Where did you get the notion that you can't use airbrush or other rendering styles if it is printed on paper? I mean I don't know much about comics but I am pretty sure in this day and age you can print whatever your heart desires on paper.

I think that you are going to need linear perspective if you want it to look correct in the context of the scene. As for the design, did you try different concepts? I think you should take a step back and think how you want the ship to look. Did you thumbnail? Professionals don't come up with designs on the spot. They do studies and research to understand what they are drawing. They try out a bunch of different designs and then find a final design from those. Try a few other designs. The first time you do something doesn't produce the best work.
"Painting is edge hell!"

Deviantart
Sketchbook

Postby luftsaob » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:41 pm

luftsaob

I think perhaps it might serve you well to do thumbnailing for the panels and the page layout. You also said you can't draw the spaceship itself, have you tried just sketching it out of the context of the page? You'll have to draw it a few times so you should take the time to plan how it looks before hand and get it all down. Doing studies of aircraft and testing various designs that you make up might help with this task. I also agree on the above suggestions of utilizing perspective for this scene. Good luck! :)

Postby alexander.cvetanov » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 pm

alexander.cvetanov

So i guess that i should move the spaceship in the first panel in front of the planet?
rsz_11.jpg

Postby femarot » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:17 am

femarot

Hi!
First at all, let me tell you a little thing that you have to have in mind when doing a comic. You want to tell a history, right?, even if it's simple. Also, you want this history to be fun to read, to be dramatic, or terrorize, or whatever, but you don't want to just tell something like the the receptor would be a judge or something, so, here is where you have to think what's the most relevant part of the history. Let's say, you have an spaceship arriving a planet. So? that's all?. You're using a complete page for showing a small amount information. There are a lot of concepts, answers you must do to yourself, like "how does this planet looks?" "it's the earth?" "it's mars?" "there're animals on there?" "there're monsters?"
Now, after thinking a little bit of what to do, you can now go and try, in sketches, what works better and what you want to transmit.
I gonna do some quick sketchs to give you a more graphic idea.
Here, in the first one, I keep the same idea. 3 boxes with the ship, one in the space, other two in a "from the planet" view, but trying to make it more interesting. For example, save the view of the spaceship until the final of the page, and don't show the same in all the page.

In this other example I try to show the tripulation, the actions they're doing, and not only the ship. (the box in the mid is like a corridor with people hanging on, I don't know if it's understandeable)

hope this helps you to, at least, know how to place the elements in the page a little better. Grettings!
Just an art student, with the wish of become a good artist someday. I invite you to see my work and progress here:
http://femarot.deviantart.com/

Return to Critique This!