Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Corne-branche » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Corne-branche

Subject title: Painting critique

Please scroll down to see the last requested critique.
I decided to keep only one topic for everything

I'm working on this painting actually and I would like to know if I can improuve or change some things to make this better.
Any suggestions ?
I tried to work on atmosphere/hight contrast.
screen.png
Last edited by Corne-branche on Fri May 26, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Random english and space potatos ...
Sketchbook // Instagram // DevianTart

Postby Cucumbre » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:44 pm

Cucumbre

I feel like the light from her horns should hit the grass and reflect a bit onto her legs?

Postby Mandilor » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:56 am

Mandilor

I think it looks pretty good. The things I would change is the darks are too dark and I think it would look better with a bit more color.

The grass is clearly half assed. Don't use grass brushes.

Here is a quick paint over. I hope that helps.

Postby Corne-branche » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:57 am

Corne-branche

Oh- I completely forgot about this thread
Thank you for the critique, fortunatly I'm still working on it so I'll see how I can apply that :D

Postby Corne-branche » Fri May 26, 2017 10:13 am

Corne-branche

I hope it's ok to re-use a topic ... I don't wabt to create a new one!

ALRIGHT-

I'm still not very used to make full illustration with backgrounds and working right away with color but that's something i've been enjoying A LOT. I really want to improve and to make each piece better than the last one!
This work still in progress and I'm still not quite sure about the general/lighting compotion/anatomy. The face is done but I still have the lower body part, hair and background to render .. As long as I'm still working on it I will be able to make some drastic changes that's why I post it in progress.

Critique and advices are very welcome! You'll have some good cookies anyway uwu

Postby Alpacky » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Alpacky

HOLY SHIT!

Thats Leaps and BOUNDS ahead of the last one!

I would give it a crit, but im in school, so I cant really be staring at the tits of a deer girl, but from what I saw briefly, NICE!
I draw stuff sometimes and it looks like this: (Latest work on page 8)http://forum.sycra.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76279

Postby Mandilor » Fri May 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Mandilor

Wow! You did a great job improving!

A couple things that stand out to me are the cast shadow and her horns. The horns look like they don't connect properly right now. It's an easy fix just paint hair over them at the base will do it.

For the cast shadow remember that all shadows (at least in lighting setups with one light source) are going to be the same value range. So a cast shadow from an object on to a form will blend into the form shadows as if it's all one shadow. I hope that makes sense, took to paint over for example.

Your darks could use a little more detail in them and could stand to be a little lighter. A good rule of thumb is to not go under 10% on the brightness slider. I know you said you still have yet to render that area yet but I figure I'd point it out all the same.

The anatomy looks fine for the most part. The arm and the abdomen are the ares that could use some work. Take a selfie while doing that pose, that should help with the arm. Find some ref for the abdomen too.

For the background the gradient of the trees is looking a bit flat and stale. Adding some texture and variance to it will make it look more organic.

I think the sky could be vignetted some more. In other words make the top darker.

The composition isn't bad, it's squarely solid, literally. You could play around with it, making it more vertical. Maybe having the top fade off into space and stars, that could look cool. It might be a bit to broad right now. I feel like there may be a bit to much empty space on all edges so maybe zooming the piece in a tad would help.

I think some leaves and dust blowing in the wind along with her hair would add a lot.

Here is a quick paint over, I hope it helps give you some ideas and that this was helpful and thought provoking.

Postby Oli » Sun May 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Oli

Great piece! Critique-wise, I think Mandilor said it all already, but I think you need to get rid of that moon! Or place it somewhere else to create a contrast or something. ATM, it is just there and distracts. Something that helped me a lot on composition is this video (together with all of Sycras videos, of course ;) !!!): https://youtu.be/O8i7OKbWmRM

Happy painting!
My sketchbook | My dA | My Facebook

Life is too short for bad coffee!

Postby Corne-branche » Sun May 28, 2017 4:00 pm

Corne-branche

Thank you everyone for the critiques and ressources ! I'm working on that :D

Postby Gryephon » Sun May 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Gryephon

I would suggest trying to change up the bottom shading, maybe have the colors recede to a dark green for grass or something not black. As it kinda feels shorthanded. But it seems you're not really finished anyway, so I'll let it slide.

The sky colors kinda feel dull, if your trying to get it to feel more illuminated you might try out cyan as it has a much higher luminosity grade then blue (blue actually has the lowest). If you don't understand color luminosity, you can check out http://www.workwithcolor.com/color-luminance-2233.htm on the subject.

For skin tones, It might be true that the surface part of skin is technically a little yellow, but you need to understand that skin is also a little translucent, which means the red color from the blood underneath would figuratively bleed through the flesh a little. making the tones appear redder. It wouldn't be super red because that would make her look like she's got a sunburn, but the skin tones simply seem too yellow and artificial.

I'll try and do a quick overpainting (Though i'm using filters\adjustments to speed up the process, not everything is done by hand)

1495789773-we-ll-see-the-dawn-flat(2).jpg
If you clean a vacuum cleaner, you become a vacuum cleaner.

Sketchbook: Click Here
Deviant: Click Here

Return to Critique This!