Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:45 am

Waveloop

Subject title: shred this to pieces!

got something for y'all to rip apart :D
not quite finished yet, but... almost there
here is the process

http://youtu.be/brrry30Rzl8

I wasn't able to record everything... only the sketch part.
sitting6.jpg
sitting4.jpg
Last edited by Waveloop on Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby stnkjuc » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:01 am

stnkjuc

I can't find anything wrong with it :c You're too good

Postby alnoth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:40 am

alnoth

i dont understand his left hand pose. it looks like the fingers are not relaxed, but as if he was holding something ball-shaped - but theres nothing there. if you wanted him to be clutching his fingers, why not make a complete fist? i dont see why his fingers should be curved like this. i mean its completely possible to hold them like that, but just judging from his overall pose (and the lack of any environment or props) i dont understand the hand gesture.

good stuff on the rest as usual.

Postby Dream » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:17 pm

Dream

Actually, this seems like a really really good picture, almost perfect i would say.

Only thing is his left hand. Aside from what Alnoth said, i think the values on his hand (specially between his knuckles) are a little weak. You could maybe benefit from putting some stronger values in there.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Postby pseudome » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

pseudome

'lo there... i took the liberty of trying to do one of these paint-overs i keep seeing 'round here (its what drew me to the forum to begin with) so, apologies for butchering your piece, i am terribly sloppy, but i tried to illustrate my points as best i could. please dont take offence.

so, here goes: Image

* the hand: i think the main problem is with plane depth. you shaded the space underneath the arm very darkly, so that would indicate a big distance between the fingertips and the leg. the wrist is also a bit wonky, if you added a couple of creases there, and rounded out the upper edge of his forearm, it could indicate the curve and thickness better.

*neck: somehow that black line seems to be too thick and goes too low, making me think the neck is attached at the collarbone junction. also, the hair strands on the far side should be curving around his body, unless his head is turned towards the viewer

*spine curve: if he's sitting like that, i would imagine his back is arched outwardly and his pelvis is pushed forward a bit more. tried to illustrate it in the lower portion

*pants: if his pants are slouchy enough to make that many folds, the would make one where the cube stops, as well. you can use the leg anatomy to figure out where the pants fold and crease

*aaaaand, wheres his foot? when looking at the picture, i can imagine many things, not all of them appropriate (check upper picture). if you added a foot, it could add more character to his overall pose, depending on how you position it and whether its tense or relaxed, etc

*lighting: im a total noob with comic-book style(i envy your lines, mine are always extra fluffy), but you should probably decide on where your light is coming from, its gonna help a lot with defining depth and planes, even if you dont try to shade it realistically.

ok, thats about all i can think of. again, sorry for murdering your dude and giving him an extra fat face. i feel particularly bad about it since i like your picture a lot - reminds me of death from darksiders 2 so... eh

cheers! hope it helped ;)

Postby alnoth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:26 pm

alnoth

concerning psuedome...

since we see both of his shoulders from the front side, i dont think we would be able to see the curvature of his spine - we might see his deltoids, which i think are fine.

how do you know which way the hair strands would go? perhaps he gave his head a wild shook and now he is staring this way. the hair could have been anywhere just half a second ago.

his hand, not only the shadow, but mostly us being able to see his thumb clearly on our side of the thigh, so his palm is not on the knee but a full hand-width closer to us.

Postby pseudome » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:55 pm

pseudome

alnoth wrote:concerning psuedome...

since we see both of his shoulders from the front side, i dont think we would be able to see the curvature of his spine - we might see his deltoids, which i think are fine.

well yeah, not see it, but given how his shoulders/neck/head are pushed forward, it would suggest his back isn't shaped like an S, but more like a C. thats why i mentioned the pelvis leaning forward. i actually tried sitting like that, and not only did i feel extremely girly, but it was also kind of unnatural. i was horribly messy about it, but that thing i modified was more like his ribcage, not his spine

alnoth wrote:how do you know which way the hair strands would go? perhaps he gave his head a wild shook and now he is staring this way. the hair could have been anywhere just half a second ago.
had he just given his head a wild shake, the hair closest to us wouldnt be neatly tucked behind his ear. im also not sure how come part of it is messed up by wind/movement, and the other half isnt, but i didnt really know how to fix it so i didnt try to wreck it either.

alnoth wrote:his hand, not only the shadow, but mostly us being able to see his thumb clearly on our side of the thigh, so his palm is not on the knee but a full hand-width closer to us.
yeah, thats my impression as well, but im not sure if he was going for an angry pose or an angry facial expression. somehow the rest of his body gives a relaxed vibe, at least from my pov. however i tried looking at it, if the thumb shows, it means his hand is tilted at a pretty wide angle from the forearm, since you can also see his elbow. in my experience, that demands a few creases at his wrist, and a richer curve on the top side (although im not sure if that tilt helps the pose overall)
also, even if hes not gripping his own leg, its even more of a reason to shade the leg differently, and not have a sudden black shadow in the hand area. that, to me, suggests there might be an extra object there maybe? since if you eliminate the hand entirely, the shading doesnt make sense on its own - which it should, except for drop shadows.

Postby Ambiguity » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:38 pm

Ambiguity

pseudome wrote:* the hand: i think the main problem is with plane depth. you shaded the space underneath the arm very darkly, so that would indicate a big distance between the fingertips and the leg.

The hand isn't supposed to be resting on the knee, the forearm is.

pseudome wrote:the wrist is also a bit wonky, if you added a couple of creases there, and rounded out the upper edge of his forearm, it could indicate the curve and thickness better.
Valid point, it'd probably benefit from a more prominent "wrist bone" as well.

pseudome wrote:*neck: somehow that black line seems to be too thick and goes too low, making me think the neck is attached at the collarbone junction.

I can't argue about the line thickness, but necks do attach around the clavicles, more than that, the skin covers the entire body which creates "rhythms" like that.

pseudome wrote:also, the hair strands on the far side should be curving around his body, unless his head is turned towards the viewer

Not quite sure which section of hair you're talking about since you didn't circle it, but you do know the wind is blowing the hair right?

pseudome wrote:*spine curve: if he's sitting like that, i would imagine his back is arched outwardly and his pelvis is pushed forward a bit more. tried to illustrate it in the lower portion
Not sure what you mean by this.

pseudome wrote:*pants: if his pants are slouchy enough to make that many folds, the would make one where the cube stops, as well. you can use the leg anatomy to figure out where the pants fold and crease
Probably not what you're talking about, but those folds around the butt should originate from the inner thigh, not the butt imo.

pseudome wrote:*aaaaand, wheres his foot? when looking at the picture, i can imagine many things, not all of them appropriate (check upper picture). if you added a foot, it could add more character to his overall pose, depending on how you position it and whether its tense or relaxed, etc
Good point, didn't even see his foot missing.

pseudome wrote:*lighting: im a total noob with comic-book style(i envy your lines, mine are always extra fluffy), but you should probably decide on where your light is coming from, its gonna help a lot with defining depth and planes, even if you dont try to shade it realistically.
Pretty sure it's top left, although I agree that some of these planes could have their values pushed a bit more.

Postby Waveloop » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:44 am

Waveloop

Thanks y'all !

There's so much said,I wont tackle everything... so I did a trolling self paintover to try and look at most of the things :lol:

But keep in mind, In my style, somethings are bent, pushed, others even purposefully wrong, but things still have to read well, so thanks all for taking the time. ;)

... I'll say something though... at some point in the drawing he was suppose to be holding something, if you've look at the video that gave me so much work :evil: you would know, but I just changed my mind somewhere along the way.

sitting4.jpg

And here are (hopefully) some corrections, and adjustments.

sitting7.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:53 pm

marvel57

Someone was wondering why his fingers were'nt relaxed, but skip the fact that his triceps and biceps are tight... I should know my arms are the sameway :lol: :roll: :roll: :ugeek:

Return to Critique This!