Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby plixik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 am

plixik

Subject title: Portrait Paintings

I really phoned in the jacket because it would be a huge pain to do correctly. Any advice on a good way to deal with that would be great. Also any tips on giving skin texture. Thanks for any help :)

matt2.jpg

DrWho2.jpg

On this one, I had a problem getting the details of his expression correct because they are so subtle. It doesn't help that his eyes look plastic and doll-like, but I believe that is due to me zooming in and detailing them with hard lines.

misfits.jpg

Postby Sycra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Sycra
Site Admin

Nice work here! I think the problem with the eyes and face in the last one has to do a lot with the values... Also, the size of the highlight. I think the expression in this one is quite hard to capture so it's understandable you'd have some trouble with it, but I think you did pretty good!

Postby plixik » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:32 am

plixik

Thanks for the advice. I was definitely way too dark/light with the eye values.

Postby Zargogo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 am

Zargogo

Really awesome stuff!!
I think that the contrast between light/dark should be a little bit higher for both of them, though. 8-)

Postby sahrab » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:39 pm

sahrab

the doctor is nice looks realistic and for the other one i think the painting looks better than the guy :P

Postby bharatkumargupta » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:01 pm

bharatkumargupta

my god its great work

Postby BleedingProse » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

BleedingProse

Please allow me to get this out of my system... DOCTOR WHO!!!

Now that that's taken care of I have to say you have some great talent! Really good job on both of these.

My little piece of advice to you would be to strengthen you shadows and highlights. I haven't opened them in photoshop or anything to check, but compared to the references your values seem too be kind of stuck in the middle range. Also take some time to blend some of your values together. Play with soft and hard edges-- somethings diffuse really softly while others aren't meant to be blended away. For example in the painting of Dr. Who the values of his skin blend in pretty smoothly together EXCEPT for the harsh secondary lighting. I'm not sure I explained this very well but if you're intrested check out idrawgirls on youtube, he has lots of digital painting tutorials where he talks about hard and soft edges and even portrait painting (I think).

Great job. I can't wait to see you improve!

Postby Leffe S » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Leffe S

Ooops... nice! Go4it!
I am your father.

Postby plixik » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:46 pm

plixik

BleedingProse wrote:Please allow me to get this out of my system... DOCTOR WHO!!!

Now that that's taken care of I have to say you have some great talent! Really good job on both of these.

My little piece of advice to you would be to strengthen you shadows and highlights. I haven't opened them in photoshop or anything to check, but compared to the references your values seem too be kind of stuck in the middle range. Also take some time to blend some of your values together. Play with soft and hard edges-- somethings diffuse really softly while others aren't meant to be blended away. For example in the painting of Dr. Who the values of his skin blend in pretty smoothly together EXCEPT for the harsh secondary lighting. I'm not sure I explained this very well but if you're intrested check out idrawgirls on youtube, he has lots of digital painting tutorials where he talks about hard and soft edges and even portrait painting (I think).

Great job. I can't wait to see you improve!

Thanks for the advice. You explained everything just fine. A major problem of mine is that I'm aware of many of these things and I just have a hard time with patience, but I have been pacing myself better recently. I need to relax more while I paint and observe better.

and yes, as you said... DOCTOR WHO!!!!

Return to Critique This!