Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Pascarigudum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:50 am

Pascarigudum

Subject title: So, i did a thing

Hey people what's up?
I haven't been around in the internet lately, and i suck at keeping journals and such, but i've been studying! Now i came up with this painting and it's pretty much set, but not finished yet. I'd like to hear your opinions before i take it to the final consequences :D
wyvern0000 - Copia0000.jpg
http://gabriel-dias.deviantart.com/

"Art, like morality, consists in drawing the line somewhere." G. K. Chesterton

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:29 am

Zjacklee

Hey there, this looks pretty cool! I like it.

what bothers me from this piece is that the person on the dragon seems to be leaning and reaching/falling out forward in an out of balance moment. seems a bit stressing on the posture.

the cloth in the wind seems a bit stiff.

and next it's about your colours. it's like saturated all over.( feels like it)
your saturated blue sky is consuming your subjects.
Nature is generally unsaturated except for tiny exceptions like birds, insects, cloth.
you have to make your subjects stand out from the rest. also you will have to unify the things in your drawing. they all seem to be on their own. as if they aren't yet part of the same environment. ( looking at the knight, the wyvern and the grass. )

All in all, still nice work so far. :)
Looking forward to how you are going to finish it.
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Roger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:23 pm

Roger

The knight is stiff. It looks like you drew him after you draw the creature he is riding. The pose is practically impossible as well, if you ever tried to ride a horse and try to reach over its head with a straight back, you won't be keeping your balance. That why we bend over thanks to our spines.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby alnoth » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:10 pm

alnoth

why do you guys think anything is wrong with the knights pose? he is ballancing on the stirrs while trying to reach as far up front as possible without falling over - he cannot bend his knees cause he would sit down in the saddle, so this is as far up front as he can reach while standing up on the stirrs. i think the pose is right.

Postby Waveloop » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Waveloop

alnoth wrote:why do you guys think anything is wrong with the knights pose? he is ballancing on the stirrs while trying to reach as far up front as possible without falling over - he cannot bend his knees cause he would sit down in the saddle, so this is as far up front as he can reach while standing up on the stirrs. i think the pose is right.

I agree...

The only thing to me that needs a little work is the perspective of the knith, maybe he should be turned slightly counterclockwise to match the dragon, just slightly.it works like that, but if you would make that little adjustment it would be spot on and enough for me.
or define the twisting torso a little bit better, he his reaching for... that... flying... thing :? with his left hand ,so his right hand should be more to the center of his body to demonstrate that twist better

... I'm I making any sense?? :roll:

Postby Kurt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Kurt

I personally think hes too big. Compared to a dragon. Idk. Also he stands out too much. he needs less detail honestly

Postby Zjacklee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:26 pm

Zjacklee

Waveloop wrote:
alnoth wrote:why do you guys think anything is wrong with the knights pose? he is ballancing on the stirrs while trying to reach as far up front as possible without falling over - he cannot bend his knees cause he would sit down in the saddle, so this is as far up front as he can reach while standing up on the stirrs. i think the pose is right.

I agree...

The only thing to me that needs a little work is the perspective of the knith, maybe he should be turned slightly counterclockwise to match the dragon, just slightly.it works like that, but if you would make that little adjustment it would be spot on and enough for me.
or define the twisting torso a little bit better, he his reaching for... that... flying... thing :? with his left hand ,so his right hand should be more to the center of his body to demonstrate that twist better

... I'm I making any sense?? :roll:

Sense you make not, my friend. you agree that there is nothing wrong with the pose but still you seem to think that some changes will make it better. :P
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Pascarigudum » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Pascarigudum

Alnoth and Waveloop, yeah, the knight's supposed to be standing in the stirrups, but the pose is full of problems. And that flying thing is either a flower or a bug. Knight's a nature person.
Zjacklee, yeah, the saturation needs to be toned down. That's something i still can't get right.
Kurt, yeah, i wanted to do a very small dragon, but agree it's a little too small... It would be kinda awkward flying... But the knight standing out is intentional, i want him as the first read. I suppose it gets kinda tricky when i put two characters in evidence like that...
So honestly i'm at the stage when the more you look at it the worse it seems haha :D I might just start it from scratch.

Postby Waveloop » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Waveloop

[quote="Zjacklee"

Sense you make not, my friend. you agree that there is nothing wrong with the pose but still you seem to think that some changes will make it better. :P[/quote]

indeed I do... and yes I do...

I agree with alnoth, he isn't of balance like that, just doesn't read well with the arms positioning. The pose is fine, what II'm stating is that the perspective could be better, to line up with the dragon

Postby perkexpert » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:50 pm

perkexpert

Hi, nice start there, id like to add, you should make your background less contrasty, way too sharp edges. Otherwise, wave and lee alrdy mentioned the problems, otherwise i think the overall composition has a really good potential!
Homo sapiens non urinat in ventum
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/artofhannesmangelsdorf/
Homepage: www.perkexpert.com

Postby Pascarigudum » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:22 am

Pascarigudum

yeeeeah.... i gave up on the dragon knight thing......
sorry, you guys took your time to give me advice on that, i feel kinda bad, but they say that if the foundation is weak, there's no point to keep working on it right?
But hey i did another thing, and i think it looks better than the other thing. It's based on a quick thumbnail i did which i liked, and i think that's precisely why it looks better. Not much of a concept behind it. It's just a thing. What do you guys think?
20minutes0000.jpg

Postby marvel57 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:54 pm

marvel57

It took me a minute to see that the pteradactyl-like head was only the "arm" of the larger creature, it looks coolish :ugeek:

Postby Ambiguity » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:44 am

Ambiguity

Pascarigudum wrote:yeeeeah.... i gave up on the dragon knight thing......
sorry, you guys took your time to give me advice on that, i feel kinda bad, but they say that if the foundation is weak, there's no point to keep working on it right?
But hey i did another thing, and i think it looks better than the other thing. It's based on a quick thumbnail i did which i liked, and i think that's precisely why it looks better. Not much of a concept behind it. It's just a thing. What do you guys think?

Good sense of depth and drama, I like it. Sorry I can't really critique further since it's still pretty much a sketch. Maybe the guy could be aiming at the monster instead of running across him?

Postby Total100 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:43 am

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

nice composition i like it! just a idea, i noticed you have a lot of fog. you might wanna add some fog around they're feet overlaping them
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:04 pm

Dream

Total100 wrote:nice composition i like it! just a idea, i noticed you have a lot of fog. you might wanna add some fog around they're feet overlaping them

If he wants the marine guy to be "in" the fog as well, which i have the impression Pascarigudum didn't intend to convey.
What is nature, but a miserable little pile of forms!?

"This is the truth: when you sacrifice your life, you must make fullest use of your weaponry. It is false not to do so, and to die with a weapon yet undrawn."

Return to Critique This!