Submit your artwork for critiques here, or give someone else some helpful criticism or advice on their artwork. Please keep things civil.

Moderators: Ambiguity, SeaQuenchal, Waveloop, imcostalong, virtueone

Postby Waveloop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Waveloop

Subject title: Monk's

This is not the final version... but tell me what you guys think
monk blue.jpg

Postby Total100 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:30 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

i like the cold colors working with the warm gold. nice job.

also just a personal preffrence i think it would be more pleasing to have her have hair imo but then again that is a opinion. also it wouldnt fit the story. so nice job!
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Roger » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:00 pm

Roger

Monks are normally bald or have very short hair.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11 Come visit my Sketchbook!

Postby stnkjuc » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm

stnkjuc

Lighting looks a bit off to me... for example, the guy's hand on the girl's waist.. the girl's elbow comes first and the hand of the guy's is after but it looks like it's in the same distance.. and the first couple fingers to me, should be a little darker because of the shadows from the girl's arm

Unless there's a light source from the view point of the "reader" then the shadows on the girl's waist and arms and some of the legs would be minimal

Postby Zjacklee » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Zjacklee

Hey dude... as I said before. Nice drawing! ^^

as critique, I'm not sure if that background is working. To me it's making the quality of your nice work level down.
The girl's feet seem a bit big, but that's not that important. they don't seem way out of proportion for the style.
and the clothing.... hmmm, it doesn't tell me monk. you might have to work more on that. You will need subtle things like monk accesoiries. the necklace for instance. they usually wear those red beats. ( which type of monk did you have in mind bydaway? western or eastern? Judging by your color choice I would say eastern )
And do Not forget Seams!! the creases, the wrapping around, the seams... all those little details is what makes your clothing feel more believable and something with volume.
as for creases and wrapping around you did some work on that already... except for the black shirt the guy is wearing. feels flat and rather not very cloth like that bit.

Furthermore, your palette is very cold all over. ( most of it )
It's a good thing that you add desaturated blue or grey to your shadows and make them cool in temperature but not all of them should be like that.
some shadows should be warm and saturated. the atmosphere causes the shadows facing up to have the blue on them while objects facing down get their reflected light from below which is usually warm. I dunno if you get what i mean? ( although in this situation i'm not sure of your environment mechanics. :P )

To illustrate it I added some subtle saturated red/brown to the shadows on the neck of the guy and on the lower part of the girl. ( Maybe a different warm tone would have been better but I just chose that quickly to illustrate what i mean. )
marvel monks.jpg
Look closely. Can you really See?!

http://zjacklee.deviantart.com/ that's my deviant. ^_^

https://www.facebook.com/Trplerainbow My fanpage.

Postby Waveloop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:18 pm

Waveloop

Zjacklee wrote:Hey dude... as I said before. Nice drawing! ^^

as critique, I'm not sure if that background is working. To me it's making the quality of your nice work level down.
The girl's feet seem a bit big, but that's not that important. they don't seem way out of proportion for the style.
and the clothing.... hmmm, it doesn't tell me monk. you might have to work more on that. You will need subtle things like monk accesoiries. the necklace for instance. they usually wear those red beats. ( which type of monk did you have in mind bydaway? western or eastern? Judging by your color choice I would say eastern )
And do Not forget Seams!! the creases, the wrapping around, the seams... all those little details is what makes your clothing feel more believable and something with volume.
as for creases and wrapping around you did some work on that already... except for the black shirt the guy is wearing. feels flat and rather not very cloth like that bit.

It's a good thing that you add desaturated blue or grey to your shadows and make them cool in temperature but not all of them should be like that.
some shadows should be warm and saturated. the atmosphere causes the shadows facing up to have the blue on them while objects facing down get their reflected light from below which is usually warm. I dunno if you get what i mean? ( although in this situation i'm not sure of your environment mechanics. :P )

To illustrate it I added some subtle saturated red/brown to the shadows on the neck of the guy and on the lower part of the girl. ( Maybe a different warm tone would have been better but I just chose that quickly to illustrate what i mean. )

Dude do they look like any monks you've ever seen in this reality :lol: ...
Those are not from around... they're referenced in Zen monks like Shaolin... but in my own Universe :D

The colors... yes they where supouse to be flesh colored... and that's how I made them... I just played with the Hue afterwards so... It came out a little damaged... I'll Upload the original later

Postby Sin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Sin

I really like the atmosfere on work. I really have nothing else to add because Zjack said it all :) But i had to throw in a compliment :)

Postby Waveloop » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Waveloop

Sin wrote:I really like the atmosfere on work. I really have nothing else to add because Zjack said it all :) But i had to throw in a compliment :)

Thanks Sin, glad you like it :D

So here is the original. But I went really big with this one ... 5000 \ 5000 ... so it loses a lot in here. Don't mind the background, although the idea is for them to be floating. That is actually the BG from another drawing. The problem is, I really want them to be purple now.
monk.jpg

Postby Brian Kouhi » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:26 am

Brian Kouhi

DAT Anatomy!!! ;) love it.
Hey guys! I'm Brian Kouhi, 20 years old, and attending at OCAD University of Art, Just started 3rd Year, majoring in Digital Painting & Expanded Animation

Postby Total100 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:08 pm

Total100
Location: in my room. 1 laptop for video another laptop for forum. and a 1 sketchbook for drawing...

Oh cool i like the background from your ninja drawing. personally i think they look cooler not blue but yet again i dont have a good cretique sorry
"Art is my cooking channel, i watch it, drool over it, and hope to one day make it."
I'm Alex, I'm 12,
Here is my sketchbook= viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2900 :)

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Zjacklee

Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:Hey dude... as I said before. Nice drawing! ^^

Dude do they look like any monks you've ever seen in this reality :lol: ...
Those are not from around... they're referenced in Zen monks like Shaolin... but in my own Universe :D

The colors... yes they where supouse to be flesh colored... and that's how I made them... I just played with the Hue afterwards so... It came out a little damaged... I'll Upload the original later

hehe, i get that. Just saying that i've seen lots of alternate universes, but there are some key subtle elements that tells this cultural feeling from the character.
About the color... I didn't mean for you to make them "normal" flesh color. I was specifically talking about the shadow itself. Things I have been picking up from my color research.

One more thing I have to add. I'm missing some volume of the right boob. judging from the size of the left breast... the right one would slightly squeeze from her arm going up like that.
And now on to the left breast itself.... it seems to be part of the right arm. I can't sense the definition and depth there with the arm. it's like those 2 are covering the same space.
the angle that the arm is raising right now should squeeze the breast up a bit.

breast critique given. my work here is done. 8-)

Postby Waveloop » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:13 pm

Waveloop

Zjacklee wrote:hehe, i get that. Just saying that i've seen lots of alternate universes, but there are some key subtle elements that tells this cultural feeling from the character.
About the color... I didn't mean for you to make them "normal" flesh color. I was specifically talking about the shadow itself. Things I have been picking up from my color research.

One more thing I have to add. I'm missing some volume of the right boob. judging from the size of the left breast... the right one would slightly squeeze from her arm going up like that.
And now on to the left breast itself.... it seems to be part of the right arm. I can't sense the definition and depth there with the arm. it's like those 2 are covering the same space.

Yes I was talking about the shadows to. when I changed Hue, all the warm shadows, and saturated edges turn cold... Cuz they were made with flesh like color, that was what I was trying to say, if you check the last version, it's more similar to that little preview you've made.

The boob, yes I've noticed that when I was near the end, It wasn't very visible in the sketch, I'll work on that... maybe :roll:

but thanks for the attention, this one toke some hard work.

Postby Zjacklee » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Zjacklee

Waveloop wrote:
Zjacklee wrote:hehe, i get that. Just saying that i've seen lots of alternate universes, but there are some key subtle elements that tells this cultural feeling from the character.

Yes I was talking about the shadows to. when I changed Hue, all the warm shadows, and saturated edges turn cold... Cuz they were made with flesh like color, that was what I was trying to say, if you check the last version, it's more similar to that little preview you've made.

The boob, yes I've noticed that when I was near the end, It wasn't very visible in the sketch, I'll work on that... maybe :roll:

but thanks for the attention, this one toke some hard work.

always a pleasure. Keep up the good work! :)

Return to Critique This!